So wrong on so many levels...

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#81 Selene

Selene

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 16,405 posts
  • Interests:Chess, birding, football, baseball, minimalist backpacking, argumentation and debate, politics and philosophy, strategic board gaming, history, Rand, poetry, writing.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

Gulch is a Doctor...

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice..and moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."

#82 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, what else is there?

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:31 AM

Ninth is a Doctor.

#83 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:00 PM

To the dead, says Hitch. To the dead. Cheers, cheers all. To Death, may You take me unawares. To my lovely Friend Carol, whom I have never yet met, what a moving prose poem of your death, your mother as her eyes turned to glass. Brant, brother OLer, may we meet in actuality.

I suggest rather fantastically that MSK decree an OL Conflab in Chi-town in 2014 or sooner or whenever -- a self-organizing social, a Ball of Reason, an Event. No papers delivered. No formal speeches, no icing on the cake. Just OLers being their passionately reasonable best. As good as if not better than the Kissimmee Konklave of long ago SOLO-RoR.

We could loudly but reasonably finish this skirmish then, brother Brant? I do so want to meet a few lovely cronies like Carol and MSK and Kat and you before we become cargo ourselves.

[/quote]

To the dead, says Hitch. To the dead. Cheers, cheers all. To Death, may You take me unawares. To my lovely Friend Carol, whom I have never yet met, what a moving prose poem of your death, your mother as her eyes turned to glass. Brant, brother OLer, may we meet in actuality.

I suggest rather fantastically that MSK decree an OL Conflab in Chi-town in 2014 or sooner or whenever -- a self-organizing social, a Ball of Reason, an Event. No papers delivered. No formal speeches, no icing on the cake. Just OLers being their passionately reasonable best. As good as if not better than the Kissimmee Konklave of long ago SOLO-RoR.

We could loudly but reasonably finish this skirmish then, brother Brant? I do so want to meet a few lovely cronies like Carol and MSK and Kat and you before we become cargo ourselves.

[/quote]

Bill, thanks. Ma would have loved her funeral (she was a connoisseur of funerals); her idol Lloyd Robertson even sent flowers. In her casket we put the sonogram photo of the first great=grandchild who entered the world five months later, bringing back her mischievousness and fiercely loving heart.

Chicago 2014! I'm there. But I warn you, I will prob ably sing.

Just a dirty room and a silver spoon will do for me. I can bring the spoon.

May I recommend to you and everyone Ye Gods, by Tom Holt, in which Osiris escapes from a nursing home after a food protest, and assisted by a lorry driver and a State Registered Nurse, raises the walls of Jericho via ram's horn.

#84 Michael E. Marotta

Michael E. Marotta

Rational Empiricist

• Members
  • 2,638 posts
  • Interests:Numismatics, Physical Security and Computer Security, Aviation

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:57 AM

I did not realize what this was about. I only read this today from another post.

First, at this point, we just venting.  Everyone is expressing their own personal views of how they feel about this. Everyone is offering facts and reasons in support of what they already believe to be true about themselves.  That much is fine, as long as we are clear on this.  I did not read all of this closely, but I did not see any post where anyone said that they actually were in such a circumstance as the nurse.  I am.

[edit: I found Adam's in #48.]

I work as a security guard. I am often between the Scylla and Charybdis of contractual limits ("post orders") and the moral mandate to keep other people safe. Most of the guards I know - I daresay all of them - have some internal morality that supersedes the rules -- and they know it. We have different rules.  I just worked with two guys yesterday, both prior military, and both them explaining different personal theories of operations, neither one of which I would ever subscribe to. But the goal in all cases, theirs and mine, was to do the right thing, whatever that is.

Moreover, have you ever heard of malicious compliance? As security guards we also follow the rules to the detriment of those who make them.  "OK... You got it..." It just depends on how we are treated as human beings.  You respect us, you get ours.  You treat us like idiots, that's what you get. But most often, we rise above that, ignoring their idiocy to save them from themselves.  It goes with the job.

All of that was vernacular.  I can reframe it as formal Objectivist philosophizing if you need that. 

Mike M.
-----------------------------------------------

Michael E. Marotta, BS, MA.
Criminology & Social Science

Blogging at Necessary Facts
------------------------------------------------

#85 daunce lynam

daunce lynam

$$$$$$

• Members
  • 8,077 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:25 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bill, thanks. Ma would have loved her funeral (she was a connoisseur of funerals); her idol Lloyd Robertson even sent flowers. In her casket we put the sonogram photo of the first great=grandchild who entered the world five months later, bringing back her mischievousness and fiercely loving heart.

Chicago 2014! I'm there. But I warn you, I will probably sing.

Just a dirty room and a silver spoon will do for me. I can bring the spoon.

May I recommend to you and everyone Ye Gods, by Tom Holt, in which Osiris escapes from a nursing home after a food protest, and assisted by a lorry driver and a State Registered Nurse, raises the walls of Jericho via ram's horn.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, obviously that put everybody entirely off. I might as well go full disclosure: I will probably sing hymns: "Glorious things of thee are spoken, Galtgulch city of our laud...."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users