Poll: Are you an Objectivist?

pippi

Are you an Objectivist?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Are you an Objectivist?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

You are certainly entitled to it, of course. You are just not entitled to it being reality when it is not.

Michael

Each of us is entitled to his own opinion. None of us is entitled to his own facts.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I voted "Yes" but the poll was actually closed.

That was unfortunate. I visit six or eight message boards in rotation for Objectivism, numismatics, and other interests. I have a website of my own and I just started a blog. I might not visit each and every site each and every day.

I note also MSK's statistics. As the webmaster for the Michigan State Numismatic Society, I have been tasked with setting up our own message board. So, when I visit here and elsewhere, I read the bottom of the page with some interest. I also read with some awareness. I have been with computers since the days of punched cards and I touted the nets - Fidonet, Libnet, Usenet - back in the 80s. I served as the "Business Issues" manager for my state senator's "Political Forum BBS" in 1989-90. And I served on the White House Conference on Libraries and Information Services in 1991. All of which is to say, what I see here on OL is robust, and I say that objectively, not because I "like" MSK or because I am a big poster here. (Selene: 18 yesterday? You need to get out...)

And speaking objectively is Objectivism.

> Only 16 votes out of a population of 992 (as of this time, today) OL members. That's a return of 0.0161290322580645. It is hard to make any meaningful conclusions when 98% did not vote. [Jerry]

Overwhelming majority of those numbers are 'cold'.

People have been driven away, snarked at or joked at or 'chatty cathied' to death, no longer read the site.

Spot on.

Are we to believe that there actually are 900+ active members? Or that those who have left did so because they have converted to Mormonism?

The large number of unique hits daily is obviously driven by one-off search engine visitors. What percentage of these people stick around?

What, for example, would Ayn Rand think if she came here and saw the thread "The weather" posted by someone pointing a gun at the reader in her avatar photo? Do you think she would be guilted into producing whatever sort of posts it is the shooter demands?

Threads with titles such as "Phil Coates and His Hateful No-Win Judgmentalism" might generate a bit of red meat for the base. As for general readership, do you think fewer threads like this is more would attract new members?

Just keepin it real.

One of the best things about the Internet is that we aren't all forced to sit down and listen to Phil, or anyone else. There are plenty of other Objectivist-oriented forums on the web, each with their own unique style. Is Philip complaining about OL, or is he complaining that none of these other forums suit his style, or that if he were to make his own forum he knows no one would come, or what?

There's also Facebook, which has created its own unique style of interaction, more oriented around "friends" than around topics, I'm sure plenty of people have shifted away from forums like this to participate there.

I wish Philip would take his obsession with kicking people in the ass and apply it to the subject of individual rights. Just look at the state of the world -- there's one area where some ass-kicking would be a good thing. Of course it's probably an area Philip knows little about. He's more a grammar guy than a philosophy guy.

Shayne

People have been driven away, snarked at or joked at or 'chatty cathied' to death, no longer read the site.

Phil,

No longer read the site?

Man: I can't see! I can't see! There is no light.

Young child: I can see. There's plenty of light. Your eyes are closed.

Your statement above is based on your own opinion (probably based on hurt feelings, but that part is not my point).

The facts are shown by log numbers (Google Analytics), and my log numbers do not corroborate your opinion.

We get about 8,000 unique visitors to the site every month (with well over 100,000 page views) and the average time spent on the site per visitor is a little over 9 minutes.

You are certainly entitled to it, of course. You are just not entitled to it being reality when it is not.

Michael

"Driven away"? "Snarked at or joked at" to the point of no longer reading the site? I don't recall anyone who fit that description.

I do recall a few people showing up here and making certain exaggerated or false statements, but when politely challenged to back them up with evidence and reason, they suddenly lost all of their original pompous confidence, turned into poor little victims instead, whined that they were being viciously picked on, and then chose to leave rather than own up to their errors, exaggerations and falsehoods.

J

"Driven away"? "Snarked at or joked at" to the point of no longer reading the site? I don't recall anyone who fit that description.

Jonathan,

Usually you will find the people who harp on this line of thinking are here because we put up with their own "snarking at" and "joking at" other people.

I notice several of them have been run off of other boards and blogs for that very habit.

I'm just sayin'...

:)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...