Another wing suit flying experience.

GALTGULCH8

Double click on the video to watch this spectacular daring wing suit flying episode.

http://stocktiger.net/video/wings.php

You will notice these guys are packing parachutes.

I have only jumped once in my life and that was to prove to myself that Einstein was right. Sure enough, for the first few seconds of my free-fall I felt no force on my body. And then the wind kicked in and I felt the air resistance. Gravity is not a force. I felt no pull.

Having done that I will never base jump or jump from an aircraft capable of flight again.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Double click on the video to watch this spectacular daring wing suit flying episode.

I have only jumped once in my life and that was to prove to myself that Einstein was right. Sure enough, for the first few seconds of my free-fall I felt no force on my body. And then the wind kicked in and I felt the air resistance. Gravity is not a force. I felt no pull.

Having done that I will never base jump or jump from an aircraft capable of flight again.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ba'al,

I don't suppose that you think the Earth is motionless because you don't feel it moving?

If there were no force of gravity you wouldn't have fallen from the plane at all but gone off in a straight trajectory as Newton's Law identifies. A body in motion tends to remain in motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, to wit, the gravitational pull of the Earth.

I too prefer the vicarious pleasure of watching these wing suit videos rather than risk hitting a tree top or being sliced in half by a powerline on the way down.

Much more worried realistically by the likelihood of civil unrest caused by collapse of the U.S. Dollar.

If it happens it will happen suddenly all at once with no more warning than we have now. One day the shelves will simply be empty.

I expect to experience a sinking feeling if that day ever comes. Bernanke is like a religious fanatic committed to quantitative easing which he will accelerate as interest rates rise in response to loss of confidence in the dollar by foreign central banks which will disgorge the dollars that they hold in massive quantities in their reserves from the days that the US Treasury Bonds were considered to be safest store of value.

If you haven't done so you ought to consider converting your paper dollars which are losing value and purchasing power to silver and gold coins in your possession.

Less than one percent of the investors in the world own any gold or silver in their portfolios so it will not take much to drive their cost up and up. The forces of attraction are as real as gravity and equally invisible and seemingly intangible. (APMEX.com)

gulch

If there were no force of gravity you wouldn't have fallen from the plane at all but gone off in a straight trajectory as Newton's Law identifies. A body in motion tends to remain in motion in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, to wit, the gravitational pull of the Earth.

I too prefer the vicarious pleasure of watching these wing suit videos rather than risk hitting a tree top or being sliced in half by a powerline on the way down.

Free fall is uncoerced motion along a geodesic path in the local spacetime continuum. Gravitation is not modeled as a force in The General Theory of Relativity. Rather, it is modeled a curvature in the local manifold.

Newton's Law of Gravitation is not quite right and straight trajectory means along a geodesic path.

From the Wiki Article on Gravitation:

See also: Introduction to general relativityGeneral relativityb3f14edb49fd763ec19df7dcf1ff087e.pngEinstein field equationsIntroduction

Mathematical formulation

Resources

In general relativity, the effects of gravitation are ascribed tospacetime curvature instead of a force. The starting point for general relativity is theequivalence principle, which equates free fall with inertial motion, and describes free-falling inertial objects as being accelerated relative to non-inertial observers on the ground.[7][8] InNewtonian physics, however, no such acceleration can occur unless at least one of the objects is being operated on by a force.

Einstein proposed that spacetime is curved by matter, and that free-falling objects are moving along locally straight paths in curved spacetime. These straight paths are called geodesics. Like Newton's first law of motion, Einstein's theory states that if a force is applied on an object, it would deviate from a geodesic.[9] For instance, we are no longer following geodesics while standing because the mechanical resistance of the Earth exerts an upward force on us, and we are non-inertial on the ground as a result. This explains why moving along the geodesics in spacetime is considered inertial.

Einstein discovered the field equations of general relativity, which relate the presence of matter and the curvature of spacetime and are named after him. The Einstein field equations are a set of 10 simultaneous,non-linear, differential equations. The solutions of the field equations are the components of the metric tensor of spacetime. A metric tensor describes a geometry of spacetime. The geodesic paths for a spacetime are calculated from the metric tensor.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Ba'al Chatzaf

You didn't feel the force because you opened your chute before you went splat.

I had 13 static line jumps in the army. The only time I felt the free fall was the last jump out of a helicopter. Out of an airplane the slipstream would grab the chute and jerk it open in a few seconds while you felt that rush of air immediately. From the helicopter the down wash from the blades made it feel about what I'd feel if I jumped off a skyscraper. My stomach seemed to go up to my throat.

--Brant

Thanks! I went to Wikipedia and read the article on wingsuits. It is fascinating.

They are not actually flying, but only in a controlled descent. Nonetheless, it is compelling. I note that according to the Wikipedia article, you need 200 jumps before you can be trained in a wingsuit.