Active Duty Objectivist Introduction!

dropkick03

Greetings OL! I've been a long time observer of the forums and recently decided to take the plunge and register! A little about myself:

27 year old male. Born and raised in the People's Republic of California, but I currently reside in the DC metro area. I'm active duty Army, although I'm geting out of the military in a few months, where I plan on going to school and pursuing a career in engineering and manufacturing. Though the formal philosophy is relatively new to me, it was rather easy to adopt because I already held many of the core values. That's not to say that I was a born Objectivist. Quite the contrary. Objectivism has turned a mirror on myself and forced me to realize that many of my "beliefs" were contradictory. Overall, it's quite exciting to be introduced to many like-minded (and not so like-minded) individuals where discussions don't always have to result in flame wars.

Greetings OL! I've been a long time observer of the forums and recently decided to take the plunge and register! A little about myself:

27 year old male. Born and raised in the People's Republic of California, but I currently reside in the DC metro area. I'm active duty Army, although I'm geting out of the military in a few months, where I plan on going to school and pursuing a career in engineering and manufacturing. Though the formal philosophy is relatively new to me, it was rather easy to adopt because I already held many of the core values. That's not to say that I was a born Objectivist. Quite the contrary. Objectivism has turned a mirror on myself and forced me to realize that many of my "beliefs" were contradictory. Overall, it's quite exciting to be introduced to many like-minded (and not so like-minded) individuals where discussions don't always have to result in flame wars.

No one is a "born Objectivist" or a "born Republican" etc. etc. We are all born savages.

Ba'al Chatzaf

No one is a "born Objectivist" or a "born Republican" etc. etc. We are all born savages.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I wasn't posting that confirming a belief that a "born XXX" existed, but rather I was not a person who believed they existed, and furthermore, believed that I was one of them.

Dropkick03

Welcome to our home away from home. Thank you for your service. I was once active military Army too. Training may come in handy if there is ever a militia movement as recommended by Edwin Vieira, Jr. You might find www.oathkeepers.com of interest as well. There is a wealth of info on this site but I can think of a handful of others I mention at the risk of distracting you from exploring OL.

www.fff.org Future of Freedom Foundation

www.chrismartenson.com Crash course

www.mises Ludwig von Mises Institute

www.atlassociety.org

www.campaignforliberty.com

www.YALiberty.com

Enjoy.

gulch

Richard:

Welcome to OL.

Thanks for your service.

I think you will be more than comfortable here. Out of curiosity, how many years have you been in the military?

sbeaulieu, Shane, a forum member is also active duty military and probably in your same general area.

Adam

Richard:

Welcome to OL.

Thanks for your service.

I think you will be more than comfortable here. Out of curiosity, how many years have you been in the military?

sbeaulieu, Shane, a forum member is also active duty military and probably in your same general area.

Adam

Thanks for the welcoming! I've only been in for 4 years, which is all I intended to serve.

@Reidy: I wasn't referring to any forums specifically, just that the internet is rarely the place to turn for a constructive conversation/argument.

Dropkick03,

Welcome to OL.

If you have been lurking on this forum for some time, you will know that here everyone speaks for himself/herself.

For instance, Bob (Ba'al) says he was born as a savage.

And he speaks for himself.

I personally was born in civilization. I suspect you were, too.

:)

Michael

It takes a few years to shave off the rough edges.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Welcome to the fold, dropkick03!

Career AF, here. Almost knocking off 18 years, with a few more to go. You'll enjoy this site. Lots of mentally rational personalities, with a side order of quirkiness. It give OL that diner kind of feel ;)

~ Shane

Edited by sbeaulieu