David Nolan 1943 - 2010

I think the chart has a lot going for it with its visual representations. Might we make a better one?

I didn't know the guy lived in Tucson--across town from me--not that it would have made any difference. I'm not a libertarian. Libertarianism came up short in its own way, Objectivism another. This is in regard to the respective dis-emphasis on individual rights: Objectivism put too much on the philosophy generally and libertarianism not enough on real political philosophy. Both should have been allies respecting individual rights. Too bad Rand blew the libs off; she basically blew anyone off evincing true individualism.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

I think the chart has a lot going for it with its visual representations. Might we make a better one?

I didn't know the guy lived in Tucson--across town from me--not that it would have made any difference. I'm not a libertarian. Libertarianism came up short in its own way, Objectivism another. This is in regard to the respective dis-emphasis on individual rights: Objectivism put too much on the philosophy generally and libertarianism not enough on real political philosophy. Both should have been allies respecting individual rights. Too bad Rand blew the libs off; she basically blew anyone off evincing true individualism.

--Brant

I personally would have loved to seen the fruits of a Rand-Rothbard alliance. Both would have been more powerful working as allies than apart. The Foundation for Economic Education was about the only libertarian organization that Rand was ever friendly toward. I think the reason for this was that FEE's people always were pretty adamant about rejecting anarchism and anarcho-capitalism.

Rand seemed to consider libertarians parasites. I wonder if she had any idea how many libertarians and book sellers promoted and marketed her books.

I was just a child at the time. But I at least get the impression that the two movements actually talked to each other and helped each other back in the 1970's and early 1980's. They certainly do not now, and this has hurting both of them.