Congressman fails to grasp Constitution!

GALTGULCH8

There was a debate sponsored by the Northborough Tea Party in central MA which I attended as my Democrat Congressman was being challenged for the first time in several election cycles. He ran unopposed in five of his seven elections. I encountered him in the corridor before the debate began. I introduced myself as a constituent who has emailed him.

I mentioned Ron Paul and he said he is a friend of his and that he cosponsored HR 1207 the Federal Reserve Transparency Act. I said I knew that he did but also that he voted against it when it came up for a vote. He denied that.

I said I believe that Ron Paul would read the bills before the Congress and if he thought that the power being sought was not among the enumerated powers granted by the Founders that he would vote against it.

The Honorable James McGovern responded, "If we did that, we would not have Social Security or Medicare!"

He stated that as an argument seemingly obvious to him that having those programs is reason and justification enough to ignore the Constitutional limits on the power of Congress and to fail to adhere to his oath of office.

It has been evident for some decades that both major parties have operated this way. I am not aware if many of the citizenry are aware of this nor whether most would be as horrified as I am or whether they would agree with him.

If the latter is the case it is as if there were no Constitution at all, as if the oath of office is indeed a meaningless ritual and merely a rite of passage to power and not to be taken seriously.

I would like to think that most people would find this state of affairs unacceptable and would demand both adherence to the oath of office and to the limits of the Constitution.

If not we might just be doomed as a nation of free men and women.

gulch