Hegel and Beck University

RightJungle

Jerry Biggers wrote:

Michael, In addition to what I just posted to Mary, regarding the (in)viability of an Objectivist substitute/replacement/ alternative to church services, there is another problem (or set of problems):

end quote

I use the website Symphony of Science as a spiritually uplifting experience. I love to hear Carl Sagan’s voice again. Ninth Doctor said it was cheesy, but I gave them a hundred bucks anyway. And I still listen to their symphonies occasionally.

Perhaps Mr. “Basic Relaxation and Ego Strengthening Device,“ Nathaniel Branden could create a blue ray IMAX type tape on the cosmos and spirituality. I would buy it.

I put my girls to sleep with Nathan’s tape when they were little along with Beatrice Potter’s “Peter Rabbit,” narrated by Clare Bloom, or was it Joanne Woodward?

Peter

Just for the record, I am not proposing an Objectivist Church, nor am I interested in being a preacher. (God help us all if that happened! :) Er... well... there is that tithing thing... Hmmmm... :) )

My beef with the way people try to spread Objectivist ideas is that there are far too many Objectivist preachers strutting around.

I was merely observing a human need that religions meet and that Objectivists haven't managed to get right. I believe that this is because they do no acknowledge the need. If you ignore a need, you will most likely not fill it.

To be fair, Rand tried to replace it with art, but I don't think she pulled it off. The Brandens came close with NBI, but that was so personality-oriented that it fell apart when the driving personalities split.

More thoughts later on this.

Michael

Just for the record, I am not proposing an Objectivist Church, nor am I interested in being a preacher. (God help us all if that happened! :) Er... well... there is that tithing thing... Hmmmm... :) )

My beef with the way people try to spread Objectivist ideas is that there are far too many Objectivist preachers strutting around.

I was merely observing a human need that religions meet and that Objectivists haven't managed to get right. I believe that this is because they do no acknowledge the need. If you ignore a need, you will most likely not fill it.

To be fair, Rand tried to replace it with art, but I don't think she pulled it off. The Brandens came close with NBI, but that was so personality-oriented that it fell apart when the driving personalities split.

More thoughts later on this.

Michael

Michael,

This is kinda funny. I was messing around on the net and came upon the Carl Rove phrase "reality-based community", looked a little further and discovered: (drum roll) "The Church of Reality." How about that? Google and ye shall find.

This ought to provide the closure that this thread needs.

Mary,

I took a look. I'll let the subtitle on the home page speak for itself:

Winning Souls for Darwin!

I want to make some quips, but I do not want to be disrespectful.

Here's another gem from that site:

Objectivism gives Atheism a Bad Name

The founder is a guy named Marc Perkel. Here is his official website: Marc Perkel. If you go there, you can find some informative articles by him on Al Gore, Joe Lieberman, his runs for public office, marijuana, oodles of other stuff, and my favorite, "Finding Sex on the Web - How to get laid on the Internet."

Back to the Church of Reality site, here is his page The Biography of the Founder. If you want some history, here is the start of the How it got Started page:

The Church of Reality began with an idea I had in the evening of November 7th 1998. I was sitting at home Smoking a Joint, thinking about all the problems that religions cause in the world, and the idea just hit me - why not have a religion based on believing in everything that's real? What an idea!

Cool dude in a loose mood, baby...

This guy has received a 501( c )( 3 ) tax exempt status from the IRS for his church.

I bet he will make a fortune.

Michael

Mary,

I took a look. I'll let the subtitle on the home page speak for itself:

Winning Souls for Darwin!

I want to make some quips, but I do not want to be disrespectful.

Here's another gem from that site:

Objectivism gives Atheism a Bad Name

The founder is a guy named Marc Perkel. Here is his official website: Marc Perkel. If you go there, you can find some informative articles by him on Al Gore, Joe Lieberman, his runs for public office, marijuana, oodles of other stuff, and my favorite, "Finding Sex on the Web - How to get laid on the Internet."

Back to the Church of Reality site, here is his page The Biography of the Founder. If you want some history, here is the start of the How it got Started page:

The Church of Reality began with an idea I had in the evening of November 7th 1998. I was sitting at home Smoking a Joint, thinking about all the problems that religions cause in the world, and the idea just hit me - why not have a religion based on believing in everything that's real? What an idea!

Cool dude in a loose mood, baby...

This guy has received a 501( c )( 3 ) tax exempt status from the IRS for his church.

I bet he will make a fortune.

Michael

About those quips. Please make those quips. A great deal of truth resides in your humor.