The Miracle Mets

Selene

This was the end of one of the most amazing decades in the history of this country.

I lived about one (1) mile from Shea Stadium in Flushing, which is now downtown Korea. People were throwing confetti out the windows when the ball settled into Cleon Jones' glove in left field to clinch their first World Series Victory!

Does everyone remember where they were forty one years ago today?

Adam

I find it interesting that, for many people including myself, so many of our fondest memories involve sports.

It's one of the few things in this world that brings people together purely for the pleasure of enjoying the moment.

Too bad that many women seem to miss out on all the excitement. But hey, somebody has to sit there in the stands during the halftime show while we take a whiz. <_<

41 years ago, I was not watching baseball games or listening to them.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I find it interesting that, for many people including myself, so many of our fondest memories involve sports.

It's one of the few things in this world that brings people together purely for the pleasure of enjoying the moment.

Too bad that many women seem to miss out on all the excitement. But hey, somebody has to sit there in the stands during the halftime show while we take a whiz. <_<

Dennis:

You have to start looking for women in different venues.

I managed a women's softball team in a bar league in Queens. The team we put together was an interesting mix of women from before, and after, Title IX was enacted in 1972.

The difference was quite distinctive. The original team had a mixture of middle class housewives and professional moms mixed with a few young women in business or college. The talent level of my first team was eager, but unskilled. I made an agreement with my team that we set a goal to win one (1) game that first year and learn how to play and how to play as a team. The league we were entering was extremely competitive and very well known, even attracting local TV coverage.

After dealing with the "we can win more than one game" onslaught and getting crushed our first two (2) games, everyone agreed.

Coaching and managing women was a great learning experience. I did my usual due diligence, and found some fascinating articles and studies by women coaches and the differences between how women approached team sports and coaching that was enormously valuable to me, not only with that team, but with women in business teams and with women generally.

We went to the playoffs the next year after our 1-15 first season.

Adam

Edited by Selene

Dennis:

You have to start looking for women in different venues.

I managed a women's softball team in a bar league in Queens. The team we put together was an interesting mix of women from before, and after, Title IX was enacted in 1972.

The difference was quite distinctive. The original team had a mixture of middle class housewives and professional moms mixed with a few young women in business or college. The talent level of my first team was eager, but unskilled. I made an agreement with my team that we set a goal to win one (1) game that first year and learn how to play and how to play as a team. The league we were entering was extremely competitive and very well known, even attracting local TV coverage.

After dealing with the "we can win more than one game" onslaught and getting crushed our first two (2) games, everyone agreed.

Coaching and managing women was a great learning experience. I did my usual due diligence, and found some fascinating articles and studies by women coaches and the differences between how women approached team sports and coaching that was enormously valuable to me, not only with that team, but with women in business teams and with women generally.

We went to the playoffs the next year after our 1-15 first season.

Adam

Adam,

You are clearly a man of many talents. That must have been a major challenge and a highly rewarding learning experience.

The vast diversity of womankind never ceases to amaze me. I would never make the mistake of thinking of them monolithically.