Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie! In NYC, 12/7/2010!

Ed Hudgins

I have not detected the hostility that Jerry B. seems worried about.

What I have detected is an eagerness to diminish--in advance--an effort that deserves no less than a presumption of goodwill, and an effort that requires far more effort than hitting the send button on one's keyboard. The only reason this inclination to diminish is of any note is it betrays something about what the Objectivist movement today has arguably become, i.e., something less about the Roarks and Ayn Rand and the Dagnys, and something much more related to spittle exchanges about theories of induction, and whether Frank O'Conner drank two or three or-- horror or horrors!--four fingers of Scotch each day.

Perhaps we should start calling Objectivism something more apt: "EddieWillerism".

???? !!!! ????

What do you have against Eddie Willers? Was he eager to diminish? Interested in spittle exchanges or speculations about people's drinking habits?

In what way was Eddie Willers less than the Roarks and Ayn Rand and the Dagnys? I thought he was Rand's example of a moral, conscientious, loyal man of lesser ability. Now he's the label for tearing down others?

???? !!!! ????

Startled and dismayed,

REB

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I have detected is an eagerness to diminish--in advance--an effort that deserves no less than a presumption of goodwill, and an effort that requires far more effort than hitting the send button on one's keyboard. The only reason this inclination to diminish is of any note is it betrays something about what the Objectivist movement today has arguably become, i.e., something less about the Roarks and Ayn Rand and the Dagnys, and something much more related to spittle exchanges about theories of induction, and whether Frank O'Conner drank two or three or-- horror or horrors!--four fingers of Scotch each day.

Perhaps we should start calling Objectivism something more apt: "EddieWillerism".

???? !!!! ????

What do you have against Eddie Willers? Was he eager to diminish? Interested in spittle exchanges or speculations about people's drinking habits?

In what way was Eddie Willers less than the Roarks and Ayn Rand and the Dagnys? I thought he was Rand's example of a moral, conscientious, loyal man of lesser ability. Now he's the label for tearing down others?

???? !!!! ????

Startled and dismayed,

REB

Drat - good point - I revise my congratulations on PDS' post to except for labeling it "EddieWillerism." Missed that one REB.

However, I believe it is reasonable to voice concerns about what the final product will look like, based on information that has been released about its funding, selection of cast and production crew, and the extremely brief time that the movie was shot in.

Yet I concede that it is possible that they will somehow be able to surmount these obstacles, and produce a really great movie. (Then, perhaps I am being overly sarcastic when I say that accomplishment of such a feat may qualify as a miracle - and may necessitate some revisions to the Objectivist metaphysics).

And based soley on these issues, when compared to the time, money, location, cast, etc. that Peter Jackson expended on Lord of the Rings (reportedly, $93 million) versus Atlas shrugged 's paltry budget (usually reported as $5 million, although IMDB lists $15 million), there sure as hell is reason to be concerned about what the final product will look like.

Yeah, I know, "Money isn't everything." In this case, it better not be.

Again, read from the screenwriter:

As the screenwriter of ATLAS SHRUGGED – PART ONE, I just wanted to let everyone know that I did my best to stay true to the spirit of Ayn Rand's novel. For the most part people always seem to say that "the book was better" when they see a film adaptation. Really what they mean is that the movie was "different" – as it should be since it is another form of media. My job in adapting the first 336 pages into a 100 page script was to find the core of the story and tell it visually. ATLAS SHRUGGED was difficult because there is a lot of wonderfully intriguing things said in the book but if I put them all in the script it would have become a filmed dialogue. Not very cinematic, right?

Producer John Aglialoro fought through the Hollywood machine to keep a true-to-the-novel vision alive for this film. In the end, he chose to make the film independently. Those of you who have made films will understand what a monumental achievement that really is.

As for our "low budget", hundreds of millions of dollars thrown at a movie does not guarantee a winner. We told our version of Ayn Rand's novel independently and respectfully. We all worked very hard and produced something for everyone. I hope all of Ayn Rand's fans will appreciate that.

Take a look at our Facebook page for all the latest information on the film at:

http://www.facebook....44777702200729.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and please click LIKE on top!

Best,

Brian Patrick O'Toole

The Strike Productions

And it appears that there was some truly awesome shots in this. I like this one:

AtlasShruggedPoster.jpg

And, again I say, five weeks is not that wild. Not nearly the same, but some perspective here--Roger Corman shot "Little Shop of Horrors" in like 2 days.

Remember: This is PART ONE. Only.

If they were prepared, efficient, and the conditions were favorable, completely do-able.

You might want to go to the Facebook page--they have put up a couple of new photos in the last few days.

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

???? !!!! ????

???? !!!! ????

Startled and dismayed,

REB

I have nothing against Eddie Willers. Let's just say he was more middle of the pack than front of the pack. That's my point.

d

Unqualified endorsement? Sources, please?

I hope I never have the opportunity to push Peter Jackson on the subway tracks.

Ted,

Your comment (post 61):

"In the case of Harriman we have a bird in the hand to criticize. That's a bit different from ugly sour-grapes comments above suggesting that we should count this movie as a cracked egg before it's hatched". italics added.

If I correctly understood you, your comment has the implication that it is "sour grapes" to make critical comments about Aglialoro's production of the Atlas Shrugged movie before it has been screened. Well, obviously, one cannot make valid crititicisms of a completed production that has not been seen by anyone besides those involved in its production.

However, I believe it is reasonable to voice concerns about what the final product will look like, based on information that has been released about its funding, selection of cast and production crew, and the extremely brief time that the movie was shot in.

Yet I concede that it is possible that they will somehow be able to surmount these obstacles, and produce a really great movie. (Then, perhaps I am being overly sarcastic when I say that accomplishment of such a feat may qualify as a miracle - and may necessitate some revisions to the Objectivist metaphysics).

And based soley on these issues, when compared to the time, money, location, cast, etc. that Peter Jackson expended on Lord of the Rings (reportedly, $93 million) versus Atlas shrugged 's paltry budget (usually reported as $5 million, although IMDB lists $15 million), there sure as hell is reason to be concerned about what the final product will look like.

Yeah, I know, "Money isn't everything." In this case, it better not be.

Yes, I would have liked a better cast, Sean Young for Lillian, Benicio del Toro for Francisco, Angela Basset as Dagny. I would have liked a lush set, something along the lines of GATTACA or Blade Runner . I would have liked Pedro Almodovar as director. But the plot is the thing. So long as the movie avoids the sour notes one gets with bad producer/directors, like Peter Jackson, or Jerry Bruckheimer, the story needs no directorial gimmicks like a melodramatic soundtrack pumped up to 11 on the volume setting to let the audience know how it should feel at any moment. None of the major avoidable problems result from lack of money. Movies only ever fail due to bad direction and bad plotting. The fact that they have stuck with railroads strikes me as a good omen.

???? !!!! ????

???? !!!! ????

Startled and dismayed,

REB

I have nothing against Eddie Willers. Let's just say he was more middle of the pack than front of the pack. That's my point.

I hope they change the ending of the final film of this trilogy and let Eddie into Galts gulch.

???? !!!! ????

???? !!!! ????

Startled and dismayed,

REB

I hope they change the ending of the final film of this trilogy and let Eddie into Galts gulch.

No you don't. Based on my review of most of your comments, you are too bored to care about such things.

Which members of the cast are you likely to meet if you attend this event? I've checked the website but no names are listed.

Just who is going to be there to meet and greet the punters?

Steven:

Now there is an interesting word choice..."punters"????

Adam

don't waste a post just IM me

EVENT UPDATE!

Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie

We're pleased to announce that Wall Street Journal editorial board member and senior economics writer Stephen Moore will be moderating the panel discussion at "Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie" in New York City on the evening of Tuesday, December 7, 2010!

Steve has a distinguished career as a free market advocate. He has worked at the Heritage Foundation, the Cato Institute, the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress, and was president of the Club for Growth. He is a regular guest on TV public affairs talk shows and his writings have appeared in top publications nationwide.

Of special note is his January 9, 2009 piece on "Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years," published in the Wall Street Journal.

Steve is a great addition to a great program! He will be joining John Aglialoro and Harmon Kaslow, who have completed filming Part I of what will be a trilogy; David Kelley, Atlas Society founder and CEO, who consulted on a script that is true to the characters and philosophy of Ayn Rand's epic novel; and select cast members.

The program will feature a ten minute one-time viewing of an Atlas Shrugged film clip, which will include the first scene from the movie!

Please note that Atlas Society members not only can take advantage of the special member rate to purchase their own tickets. If you're a member, you can purchase tickets at the discount rate for guests who you want to join you for an evening to remember. And if you are not a member, join now so you can purchase tickets at the member rate!

The event will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m, at the Millennium Broadway Hotel's historic Hudson Theatre, 145 West 44th Street, New York, New York 10036.

Don't miss this opportunity to celebrate the cinematic achievement of Aglialoro, Kaslow, and their team in bringing Rand's great literary achievement to the screen! Register today!

EVENT UPDATE!

Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie

We're pleased to announce that Wall Street Journal editorial board member and senior economics writer Stephen Moore will be moderating the panel discussion at "Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie" in New York City on the evening of Tuesday, December 7, 2010!

Steve has a distinguished career as a free market advocate. He has worked at the Heritage Foundation, the Cato Institute, the Joint Economic Committee of the U.S. Congress, and was president of the Club for Growth. He is a regular guest on TV public affairs talk shows and his writings have appeared in top publications nationwide.

Of special note is his January 9, 2009 piece on "Atlas Shrugged: From Fiction to Fact in 52 Years," published in the Wall Street Journal.

Steve is a great addition to a great program! He will be joining John Aglialoro and Harmon Kaslow, who have completed filming Part I of what will be a trilogy; David Kelley, Atlas Society founder and CEO, who consulted on a script that is true to the characters and philosophy of Ayn Rand's epic novel; and select cast members.

Which ones? When are the names going to be named?

The program will feature a ten minute one-time viewing of an Atlas Shrugged film clip, which will include the first scene from the movie!

Please note that Atlas Society members not only can take advantage of the special member rate to purchase their own tickets. If you're a member, you can purchase tickets at the discount rate for guests who you want to join you for an evening to remember. And if you are not a member, join now so you can purchase tickets at the member rate!

The event will be held from 6:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m, at the Millennium Broadway Hotel's historic Hudson Theatre, 145 West 44th Street, New York, New York 10036.

Don't miss this opportunity to celebrate the cinematic achievement of Aglialoro, Kaslow, and their team in bringing Rand's great literary achievement to the screen! Register today!

• 3 weeks later...

Program Updates Announced!

There's still time to register for "Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie!"

Join us in New York City on Tuesday, December 7th for a great lead-up to the release early next year of Part 1 of the trilogy of Ayn Rand's epic novel. The event will be held in the historic Hudson Theatre at the Millennium Broadway Hotel, 145 West 44th St. Doors open at 6:00pm, with the program wrapping at 8:30pm.

You'll hear remarks by producer/screenwriter John Aglialoro, who has labored for over seventeen years to bring Atlas to the screen. Read a fascinating interview with the man behind the movie on the Atlasphere.

Atlas Society Chairman Jay Lapeyre will open the event. David Kelley, the Atlas Society founder who consulted on the script, will discuss the importance of Atlas Shrugged. Steve Moore of the Wall Street Journal will moderate a panel discussion that will feature Aglialoro; producer Harmon Kaslow; Matthew Marsden, who plays James Taggart in the film; screenwriter Brian O'Toole, who also manages the movie's Facebook page; executive producer and second-unit director Mike Marvin; and post-production supervisor John Orland.

And you will see an exclusive ten minute clip from the Atlas Shrugged film!

The event will be followed by a general reception with drinks and food as well as a VIP reception that will allow you to mix and mingle with the movie makers and imbibe holiday cheer!

Please note that Atlas Society members not only can take advantage of the special member rate to purchase their own tickets. If you're a member, you can purchase tickets at the discount rate for guests who you want to join you for an evening to remember. And if you are not a member, join now so you can purchase tickets at the member rate! You'll also receive our quarterly journal, The New Individualist, regular newsletters, and other goodies with your membership.

Hope to see you in New York

Thanks, Ed!

Thanks to everyone who never gave up.

Despite all the roadblocks and failed attempts and flakiness and lack of resolution encountered across decades from various studios and actors.

I hope the movie is everything one would hope for and that distribution (number of movie screens showing it) doesn't turn out to be a problem. (I imagine that's probably a worry at this point for an independent flick with no major stars and no studio backing.)

Edited by Philip Coates

Thanks, Ed!

Thanks to everyone who never gave up.

Despite all the roadblocks and failed attempts and flakiness and lack of resolution encountered across decades from various studios and actors.

I hope the movie is everything one would hope for and that distribution (number of movie screens showing it) doesn't turn out to be a problem. (I imagine that's probably a worry at this point for an independent flick with no major stars and no studio backing.)

Phil:

Every future major star started out unknown.

Relax. The film will be its own entity and should be judged on its merits. You know, the way objectivists should judge a movie.

Adam

Here's another write up on it:

http://www.theatlasphere.com/columns/101208-gleaves-atlas-preview.php

Looks like it was an enjoyable get together. Now why it had to be in the middle of the workweek...

From the summary by Richard Gleaves:

Hank is on the phone with Dagny — apparently calling her from his bathtub — and says, “It’s us who move the world.”

It's us, not we? Hank apparently doesn't speak the King's English in the film.

"Dammit, John, I'm a steel magnate, not a grammarian!" :lol:

Ghs

I was impressed with the Richard Gleaves piece in The Atlasphere:

"Whether the movie is really good or not depends on how they handle the stylistic disconnect between the quasi-naturalism of their storytelling technique and the stylized romantic language of Galt, etc."

That's a perceptive comment. A movie has to seem real and 'natural', not dated to attract a modern audience. Yet, you really need the power and beauty of Rand's language. And to not covert it into slang with phrases like "pissed off" which the heroes don't use in Atlas.

It has to seem strikingly, romantically different. And yet not fantastic or scifi-ish --- real, natural, just enough like something that could happen in today's America at some point in the near future.

It's always valuable to listen to input from a 'trial audience' or from an outsider who can step back from the rush-rush process or making a product. I hope that the film makers read his piece and see if he has some points to offer. In addition to his good point about '2016', about not tying the film to a particular year in the near future.

> Every future major star started out unknown.

Adam, my point was that that affects selling, distribution, signing up theaters. Not that unknowns are bad esthetically.

Every future major star started out unknown.

Adam, my point was that that affects selling, distribution, signing up theaters. Not that unknowns are bad esthetically.

Phillip:

Now.I understand your point.

However, and this is risky, but I hope they "allow" this film to generate it's audience by not making a big PR attempt. My gut tells me that it will build by word of mouth once it opens.

I could be completely wrong about that, but I know my rather large network of gatekeepers will be the first to go and if it is as good as I expect it to be, the word will spread best that way.

Adam

Here's another write up on it:

http://www.theatlasp...las-preview.php

Looks like it was an enjoyable get together. Now why it had to be in the middle of the workweek...

From the summary by Richard Gleaves:

Hank is on the phone with Dagny — apparently calling her from his bathtub — and says, "It's us who move the world."

It's us, not we? Hank apparently doesn't speak the King's English in the film.

"Dammit, John, I'm a steel magnate, not a grammarian!" :lol:

Ghs

Yes, my reaction exactly. And so easily fixed by "we are the ones who move the world" if "it is we who move the world" was so troublesome.

Guys:

Maybe I am wrong, but didn't Reardon work his way up from the Minnesota mines. I do not remember him being "schooled," so that kind of "real speak" coming from him would work.

Guys:

Maybe I am wrong, but didn't Reardon work his way up from the Minnesota mines. I do not remember him being "schooled," so that kind of "real speak" coming from him would work.

You don't need a graduate degree or even a highschool degree to speak proper English. No moron going to see this movie would have objected to him saying "we are the ones who run the world." The "It's us who run the world" sticks out like a sore thumb and smacks of condescension toward the audience, It's an intentional "improvement" on Rand and about as authentic as Obama dropping his g's, but more jarring. Not that I expect this will be anywhere as offensive as the remake of Shaft!

<<<"Atlas shrugged 's paltry budget (usually reported as $5 million, although IMDB lists $15 million), there sure as hell is reason to be concerned about what the final product will look like.">>>

This is a bit off topic. I just thought I would let you know what reading the above triggered in my mind.

I have been noticing the extent of the Federal budget for some years. You are probably aware that the US Federal Budget (FB) approached 100 billion in 1960 (actually 92 billion) It has taken less and less time for an additional 100 billion to be added. Now the increment is over one thousand billion in one year alone. And the FB stands at 3,700 billion and is not standing still at all.

So I wondered how large the first Federal Budget was under George Washington. I still don't know the answer but the figures I have seen for it were either $5 million or $15 million.

My experience with Atlas Shrugged the book version was such that I read it once a year for the first eight years after I encountered the gentleman who made me aware of Objectivism and let me borrow his paperback copy. I own many hardcover copies of it including a version in German. I wish there were a Classics Illustrated version but my own drawing skills do not measure up enough to do it myself.

There were many appealing experiences because of the characters behavior and certain scenes have become favorites of mine. I will be thrilled if they were included and disappointed if they were cut. I prefer movies where the dialog is authentic and where every word one hears was historically documented to have been spoken in reality. The Ted Turner classic Gettysburg comes to mind. In our case I gather that words not written by Rand are spoken by our heroes and heroine. That is disturbing and I would say unjustifiable.

Still I hope the characterization of the leading ones should be created to evoke the same feelings as the book's heroes.

I expect the reviewers to be typical as were those who reviewed Rand's books. As much as I want this to be a great movie and successful at the box office I gather we still have the obstacle of finding a distributor.

I am one in the small category who would have preferred to see a lengthy miniseries version on TV.

Fingers crossed that this will not be an embarrassment.

Edited by gulch8

• 3 weeks later...

[in case you missed it.]

Previewing the Atlas Shrugged Movie

By Walter Donway

Dear Friends:

To Ayn Rand, the New York City skyline spoke of the highest achievement of man's productive mind–of the best within us–and Tuesday night, December 7, that skyline seemed to blaze with a brighter, cleaner light. No one can say, of course; but I think and hope that Ayn Rand would have accepted the tribute to her represented by that radiance. (Continued here.)