Hello

shifty

Some time after I read Atlas Shrugged, I thought of looking for other objectivists around, an "lo and behold" (is that right?) I found this site.

I like to give you I bit of my philosophical background:

I was pretty depressed at around 2-3 years ago, and one day I woke up in my room listening to an audio cd of Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" that my mom had placed there. It was one of the most liberating experiences I've ever had. It had given me the answer, I thought; All I have to do is to not think or listen to my "ego" and my instincts (whom were far more intelligent than my "ego") would take care of everything. So I spent the next 2 years trying to adhere to this doctrine.

Fortunately a communist friend of mine suggested that I read Atlas Shrugged after a heated debate over my pro laissez-faire capitalism which included ideas of Ayn Rand that picked up from George Reisman's "Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics" (so I can better understand the nature of Ayn Rand's ideas lol).

I read it and now find myself free from my self impose blissful ignorance.

That's that; I got a few questions: Were can I find more on the nature of the ARI vs TAS debate, and why is the chat feature on the site broken?

Shifty:

and why is the chat feature on the site broken?

Because we would soon seek out and kill one another!

Welcome

Edited by rodney203

Because we would soon seek out and kill one another!

Is that what happened? So much animosity and contempt in the chat room forced the admins to shut down the service? Or am I being presumptuous lol.

Welcome

Edited by Shifty

Shifty welcome. As to the TAS and ARI debate I will recommend this quite lengthy thread It is not the TAS vs ARI however it does get to the heart of it. More or less the issue is the presumption and dictatorship of Heir Piekoff. On a side note i listened to a podcast once in which a 15yo boy wrote asking about information on Objectivism and showing interest in the philosophy and Heir Piekoff said that he should not become an objectivst now but rather explore more philosophies.

Shifty welcome. As to the TAS and ARI debate I will recommend this quite lengthy thread It is not the TAS vs ARI however it does get to the heart of it. More or less the issue is the presumption and dictatorship of Heir Piekoff. On a side note i listened to a podcast once in which a 15yo boy wrote asking about information on Objectivism and showing interest in the philosophy and Heir Piekoff said that he should not become an objectivst now but rather explore more philosophies.

Thank you for the thread :). Also, If you have the podcast or if you can direct me towards it, I'd like to listen to it too :).

-Alex

Thank you for the thread :). Also, If you have the podcast or if you can direct me towards it, I'd like to listen to it too :).

-Alex

Alex it was quite some time ago that I heard the podcast you can go to itunes and search objectivist. there are some things he has said that I dislike or disagree with however I was beyond outraged. Telling someone in the prime of their formative years something like that is absurd.

-Alex

Alex it was quite some time ago that I heard the podcast you can go to itunes and search objectivist. there are some things he has said that I dislike or disagree with however I was beyond outraged. Telling someone in the prime of their formative years something like that is absurd.

Yes, I remember that podcast. Unfortunately, Peikoff is against having his podcasts indexed for content - something he announced in a podcast. But what he said was pure nonsense. Bothering to track it down would be as enlightening as translating L Ron Hubbard into Latin hexameter verse.

-Alex

Yes, I remember that podcast. Unfortunately, Peikoff is against having his podcasts indexed for content - something he announced in a podcast. But what he said was pure nonsense. Bothering to track it down would be as enlightening as translating L Ron Hubbard into Latin hexameter verse.

By all the gods! Ted and I agree! somebody note the date and time and take a picture. Blessed be Prometheus.

-Alex

Point taken, I'll limit my search to around 10 min lol.

-Alex

Some time after I read Atlas Shrugged, I thought of looking for other objectivists around, an "lo and behold" (is that right?) I found this site.

I was pretty depressed at around 2-3 years ago, and one day I woke up in my room listening to an audio cd of Eckhart Tolle's "The Power of Now" that my mom had placed there. It was one of the most liberating experiences I've ever had. It had given me the answer, I thought; All I have to do is to not think or listen to my "ego" and my instincts (whom were far more intelligent than my "ego") would take care of everything. So I spent the next 2 years trying to adhere to this doctrine.

Fortunately a communist friend of mine suggested that I read Atlas Shrugged after a heated debate over my pro laissez-faire capitalism which included ideas of Ayn Rand that picked up from George Reisman's "Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics" (so I can better understand the nature of Ayn Rand's ideas lol).

That's that; I got a few questions: Were can I find more on the nature of the ARI vs TAS debate, and why is the chat feature on the site broken?

Alex:

Welcome aboard.

I think you will find OL right for your purposes.

Out of curiosity, is your last name of Mexican origin?

Also, were you a student when you were discussing economic issues with your "Red" friend?

Adam

Shifty,

Welcome to OL,

Question 1, you can start here: Selective timeline and links of the Kelley-Peikoff schism.

Question 2, it's complicated, not broken. Won't be installed for a while.

Michael

Alex:

Welcome aboard.

Also, were you a student when you were discussing economic issues with your "Red" friend?

Adam

I have to say yes since my father was Mexican, other than that I have no other info on the family background. It is unusual, and I think there aren't that many Yepiz around.

Yes I was a student at a community college when I was discussing this with my commie friend. I still need to get back to him after reading Atlas Shrugeged though.

-Alex

Shifty,

Welcome to OL,

Question 1, you can start here: Selective timeline and links of the Kelley-Peikoff schism.

Question 2, it's complicated, not broken. Won't be installed for a while.

Michael

Thank you for the thread Michael, and the chat feature would be cool :).

-Alex

Edited by Shifty

Alex:

Welcome aboard.

Adam

I have to say yes since my father was Mexican, other than that I have no other info on the family background. It is unusual, and I think there aren't that many Yepiz around.

Yes I was a student at a community college when I was discussing this with my commie friend. I still need to get back to him after reading Atlas Shrugeged though.

-Alex

Alex:

Interesting. What were you majoring at the Community College? Plan on going back to school?

Once again welcome aboard.

Adam

Hello and welcome, Shifty.

I must say I'm fascinated by how you transitioned from Tolle, and his ego-less "don't think", to Rand and her egoist "never stop!".

A communist friend recommended 'Atlas' to you?

Isn't he regretting that now!

Tony

Alex:

Interesting. What were you majoring at the Community College? Plan on going back to school?

Once again welcome aboard.

Adam

In my CC I was majoring in Mechanical Engineering, and had a decent amount of intro calculus and one semester of physics completed. I'm sure I'll eventually go back, I think I love school to much not to try again, but am trying to become financially independent before I can make a serious attempt. Also, I have to be sure I can consistently not fall behind, in other words I don't want to go back if I'm going to procrastinate.

All in good time :).

Hello and welcome, Shifty.

I must say I'm fascinated by how you transitioned from Tolle, and his ego-less "don't think", to Rand and her egoist "never stop!".

A communist friend recommended 'Atlas' to you?

Isn't he regretting that now!

Tony

I must be proof that people can change lol, and I'm sure my commie friend didn't intend for the book to have that kind of influence :D.

Edit: To elaborate a bit, some time before that I began to keep a journal to help me figure out how to be more productive. I was sure that Tolle's philosophy made me happy in the sense that I started going to the movies and acting on whatever other whim I felt with my friends, but I noticed that it constantly conflicted with my school studies. To make matters worse, whenever I noticed this conflicted or contradiction I tried to find a solution by blanking out my mind and ego through meditation :mellow: (which was often).

As it turned out, the journal served as a link to the past that helped mitigate my "crimestop" exercise. By the time I read Atlas I had a suspicion that becoming one with the world and in tune with the present wasn't as intrinsically intelligent as conscious thought (which was prone to the parasitic ego).

Edited by Shifty