Short absence

Short absence

I am not going to be around much from Thursday, August 26 through 29.

(2010 of course.)

I will be back as normal on Monday, August 30.

Kat and I are going to Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor rally in Washington DC.

But, hopefully, I will check in for a few minutes once a day .

Be good, kids...

:)

Michael

Clinging to God and your guns, eh? Always knew you were a knuckle dragger. What sign will you be carrying?

Ted,

Signs are prohibited for this rally.

The purpose is to build character and celebrate good people, not attack others.

It's personal as a primary, not political.

Michael

I know. I added that as a hint that my remarks were meant as irony. Now you have forced me to explain myself and kill the joke. I may be at the rally. Several people I know are going.

Ted,

Dayaamm!

You just made my day.

I hope you do get to go.

Maybe we could meet.

Michael

Well, I am afraid my presence might be seen as defending religion. You know that I am trying to get back in JR's good graces. If only I could carry a sign . . . .

Kat and I are going to Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor rally in Washington DC.

But, hopefully, I will check in for a few minutes once a day .

Be good, kids...

Have a good time. I went to an IOS event in Washington DC in 1997, and the big event going on in town was a Promise Keepers rally (a religious group). It was tough to get a room, and there were a zillion bumper stickers and T-shirts saying “Stand in the Gap”. One of the speakers at the IOS event was John Fund from the WSJ, and at one point he said something along the lines of “don’t be afraid of the religious right”, earning him an audience groan.

Looking forward to your report. Here’s hoping that OL need not be protected by anything more substantial than prayer, in your absence.

Always knew you were a knuckle dragger. What sign will you be carrying?

You’re such a damn sycophant. Ugh.

There were signs to be read that were not written!

Romans 8:28 (New International Version)

More Than Conquerors

28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him,[a] who[b] have been called according to his purpose.Footnotes:

1. Romans 8:28 Some manuscripts And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God
  2. Romans 8:28 Or works together with those who love him to bring about what is good—with those who

What! You mean this date did not have anything to do with Martin Luther King! Oh my!

Adam

Ted:

They flew directly at the Lincoln Memorial from the Washington Monument - which I believe is East to West.

<<<< different view of the path of the geese

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Washington&state=DC <<<< map

I assume that makes a difference in what is augured?

I never knew the derivation of the word - thanks.

Adam

I didn't see the geese, to be honest.

When they flew over, Kat and I were jostling for a spot in the crowd where we could sit, but ultimately we gave up. We got there early enough, but the number of people was simply ridiculous. They were all well-mannered, but there were just too many of them. The best spot we could find was near a Jumbotron (I think it was the first one from the stage). We could see the stage when we craned our necks, but it wasn't worth it. The only real inconvenience with the Jumbotron was a small offset between the sound and the image.

It was a long 3+ hours. Kat sat down on the ground a couple of times anyway while I hovered over her to make sure the people who kept looking up at the Jumbotron didn't accidentally drift too far.

Gotta run right now...

Michael

The roots are *avi- "bird" and *spek- "observe"

Bird cults are extremely ancient.

The Indo-Europeans had horse cults and ritual sex with horses is found from ancient Ireland to India. Older cults among the Indo-Europeans centered around the dog/wolf and the bear. Those cults date back to the Eurasiatic forbearers of the Indo-Europeans who were Siberian hunter gatherers who used dogs to pull their sleds and lived in the area of Lake Baikal circa 8,000 BC. (The Eskimos are the easternmost descendants of the Eurasiatics. The root *avi- meaning "to sit on a nest" exists in Eskimo, meaning that word can be traced back 10,000 years.)

Bird cults actually predate Eurasiatic, and are common to the even more ancient Dene-Caucasian people who populated Eurasia before the Eurasiatic peoples did. Modern descendants of the Dene-Caucasians include the Basques, the Etruscans, The Chechens and other people of the North Caucasus, the Sino-Tibetan peoples, and even the Tlingit, Athabaskans, and the Navajo.

Instead of worshiping male storm and sky gods like the Indo-Europeans, the pre-Indo-European cultures of Old Europe worshipped female deities associated with the earth and with snakes (phalluses) and birds (life and death fertility symbols and eaters of carrion). Consider all the female snake and bird monsters in the Greco-Roman mythology - the hydra, the medusa, the harpy, "owl-faced" Athena. They were the ancient pre-Indo-European goddesses of Europe, vanquished and marginalized by the horse-riding, sword wielding patriarchal Indo-Europeans.

The Roman cult of the avispex was inherited from the pre-Indo-European Etruscans, who spoke a Dene-Caucasian language.

We still have deeply buried remnants of that culture: Easter Eggs, Storks who bring Babies, Bird calls as omens of death, the Owl as a symbol of widom.

I wonder how many people at Beck's rally realized they were taking part in a pagan ceremony with roots over a hundred centuries old?

I'm still writing my report on the rally, but here is a note I just sent off to an email Beck set up for focusing on kindness at the rally. I will include the story in the big report, but here is a preview version:

(Email title): Can lying be kindness?

Glenn (or whoever is reading this),

I'm not sure the following qualifies as what you want with kindness, but I want to send it to you.

I attended the wonderful Restoring Honor rally. I'm from the Chicago area and I drove down and back. I'm writing up a report of my experiences for my forum and I am including the following story in it.

When Kat (my girlfriend) and I arrived at the mall on Saturday morning, we wanted to be near the Lincoln Memorial. But we encountered a guide-lady in an orange shirt telling people to move in the flow away from it. As some people were not following her directions, but going up to the Memorial anyway, we went on up with them. We didn't realize until we got there that we were really behind the stage. So we decided to go back down. On the way we passed the same lady giving directions.

But...

There was another man who had shown up to help her. Since many people were still going up to the Memorial, he started saying, "This way, folks! This way! That area up there is blocked off from the public."

It wasn't blocked off, yet there he was saying it. I figured that he was lying to people, trying to be kind to them so they wouldn't waste their time.

Kat and I kept walking along in a hurry to get a good spot, so I don't know if he heard me as I blurted out rather loudly, "That guy is lying. The area up there isn't blocked off. We just came from there. Why lie about it? Doesn't he realize that people are coming to this thing precisely because they are tired of being lied to?"

Then people around me started smiling at me and giving me signs of agreement, saying things like, "That's right." One lady burst out laughing.

I suppose I could have pursued this, but I really wasn't there to cause trouble. Kat and I continued on and had a great time.

With this in mind, I watched Al Sharpton being interviewed by Bill O'Reilly last night. His quote about the Restoring Honor rally was pretty clear: "They want to disgrace this day, and we're not giving them this day."

He told O'Reilly that he was afraid some of his group would cause trouble, so he said that to appease them.

I feel that this is the same thing as the guy who said to the arriving public that the area was blocked off. If we take Sharpton at his word, essentially he was trying to be kind by lying to the public for their benefit.

Here's where I'm at on this. I don't think that was kind at all. I think people of goodwill deserve to be respected with the truth.

I don't hold any ill will toward Sharpton or that other guy, but I really am weary of listening to people lie in my face because they think they know what is best for me.

I'm proud to have been there amongst a half-a-million plus people who I know feel the same. It's good to not feel alone.

Thank you for staging this rally. It was well worth it to be there.

My very best to you all,

Michael Stuart Kelly

Here's a video of the interview O'Reilly did with Sharpton last night. It's funny seeing Sharpton squirm since he's usually full of righteous anger or sanctimonious indifference.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZYusfKoFA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZYusfKoFA?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajZYusfKoFA?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

EDIT: I am moving this to the Beck/Fox corner and leaving a link behind.

I sympathize with the "liar" somewhat. You have to make an extremely short understandable statement in crowd control. You can't stop and have a conversation with a moving crowd to clarify your point. Sharpton, on the other hand, was given time to speak his mind to a stationary audience willing to listen to more than one five word sentence.

Ahh, the Reverend Al, making racism a full time money generator! Damn the bodies, full speed ahead! Ka ching! earnings_sh.gifpayment.gif

Sorry I could not provide an interracial set of hands to support the Rev"s ecumenical spirit as expressed at his 2000 rally honoring MLK:

Video Glenn's Disgrace? Shocking Racism at Al Sharptons MLK Anniversary

Adam

Here's just a little update on my report. I'm halfway through it and having a blast writing it. I am including some things I got from the media and lots of other stuff, so this is what has been causing the delay. It's turning out to be longer than I expected, but I think (meaning I hope :) ) it will be an enjoyable read.

I sympathize with the "liar" somewhat. You have to make an extremely short understandable statement in crowd control. You can't stop and have a conversation with a moving crowd to clarify your point.

Ted,

The modern mainstream media feels just this way, and this is precisely what everyone at the rally is sick of. I know I am.

We have become so jaded that this attitude of lying to people you don't know because it's easy to get quick results even sounds normal.

I agree that lying to the public in an extreme emergency where a crowd is getting out of control is justified, but that is a rare exception, not the rule. What happened on Saturday morning did not satisfy that condition. The people who showed up were orderly and polite.

It would have been just as easy for the man to say, "People, that way goes to the back of the stage. You can't see the event from there. Go this other way." But he thought that a little lie was no big deal.

Well it is a big deal, especially at that event.

I'm not criticizing you, because I have often caught myself feeling the way you said. And feeling perfectly justified, too. So I know exactly where you are coming from.

But that's what has to change in all of our hearts. If we want things to get better, we have to start from a posture of respecting the people in front of us, not just harboring a desire to control them. After interacting with people, only then we can make a good decision on whether or not we should lie to them.

In other words, the man at the event was not there to control the crowd. He was there to help people with orientation and information.

There's a world of difference between these two attitudes.

And there's a world of difference in the different worlds that result from them.

Michael

Again, you are absolutely right in your criticism of the media - they have the time and a patient audience listening to them. I know no one other than Beck who regularly takes the time to explain the complex truth. A few people like Hitchens and Coulter and Krauthammer have the insight to see the underlying bullshit and point it out, but they don't have four hours a day of airtime. Far too much of even the better media simply accepts the scripts of the left, such as talking about the socialization of healthcare as if it were reform or using the formulation "paying for tax cuts." Thats' not even the left.

I understand your analogy with the crowd controller, and if he had the time and the wits to come up with a better line, sure it would have been better for him simply to say "Go back, this is a dead end." But it's easy to coach from the back seat after the fact.

Stop wasting your time responding to me footnote and report about the event.

Will post tomorrow.

I want to give a good account of the rally and my own thoughts and experiences.

So I will only get to finish writing it tomorrow.

I'm still writing my report on the rally

Nudge nudge, when will the promised report be delivered to your eager readers? Or was it posted to another thread and I missed it?