Hi, everyone!

Sawyer

Let me introduce myself. It seems like a reasonable thing to do here.

I'm Sawyer. I'm a college student, and for a few months I've been toying more and more with the ideas of Objectivism. And, despite my disgust when I first read the Fountainhead over a year ago, I've really started to appreciate Rand's writing and admire Roark (though I still have issues with the whole raping part.) Then I read Anthem, and now I'm working my way through Atlas Shrugged. And a few weeks ago, I worked up the courage to change my "Political Views" on Facebook to Objectivist, which was disappointingly met by people asking "what's that mean?"

For a while I've been looking for other people out there like me. But whenever I discuss an issue on my Facebook page from an Objectivist standpoint, I get bombarded with cries of "you're just being selfish!" which I readily agree to, and move on. So I started looking around online for a site like...well, a site like this one, hopefully. It would be wrong of me to say I've been looking for a site exactly like this, because I haven't been here long enough to know whether I like it or not. But I do find it infinitely more appealing than poorly designed flashy websites claiming to be "Objectivist," but demonstrating no pride in their work. I find it more consistent, so far, than ARI, which is profiting from Rand's work without adding any new insights. And of course, it's far better than the satirical (one hopes!) page titled "How to become an Objectivist in 10 easy steps!" And so, I hope I will enjoy it here.

I'm interested in science and computers, especially as we move into a future where artificial intelligence is a real possibility, and my goal is to found and run a successful robotics/AI company.

When asked what I live for, my reply is that I live to create; I bow to no man and no thing. I worship the human intellect: my prayer is thought, my temple the mind, and my god my self.

My favorite Rand quotes, so far, include:

-The cliche, "Throughout the centuries, there have been men who took first steps down new roads armed with nothing but their own vision. They fought, they suffered, and they paid. But they won."

-I find motivation in Rand's introduction to the latter edition of the Fountainhead, especially: "It is not in the nature of man to start out by giving up, by spitting in one's own face and damning existence, that requires a process of corruption. Many vanish in the vast swamp of their elders who tell them that maturity consists of abandoning one's mind, security, of abandoning one's values, practicality, of losing self-esteem. Yet a few hold on and move on, knowing that that fire is not to be betrayed, learning how to give it shape, purpose, and reality. It is those few that move the world and give life its meaning."

-And, from Anthem, "But we, Equality 7-2521, are glad to be living. If this is a vice, then we wish no virtue."

One of my favorite all around quotes is from Edison (who had some pretty Objectivist ideas, I might add):

-"Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something!"

Let me end by saying that I, like Dagny, seek to hold my head like the original Taggart: As if I face a challenge, and find joy in my capacity to meet it.

Also, hi. =)

Welcome!

When I was in college, a lot of Rand's non-fiction books were being issued (that ought to really date me!). Many of these elaborate, build upon, or clarify philosophical, political, and psychological concepts presented in Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. If you have not read these, I think you would gain a lot of benefit from referring to them.

The Virtue of Selfishness (1963) is a collection of essays that is probably the best statement of the issues that usually arise when one tries to understand the unique perspectives and contributions of Objectvism. (By the way, Rand uses the term, "selfishness," in a way that is distinct from the commonly accepted use of that term. "Rational self-interest" might have been a more accurate choice to describe what she is talking about. Indeed, elsewhere Rand and Branden use the terms interchangeably).

Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal builds upon the above and extends discussion to poitical and economic issues. However, some of the specific political and economic issues addressed are of ocourse from that time period. The concrete principles used in the discussions still apply.

The Vision of Ayn Rand: The Basic Principles of Objectivism (2009). The first attempt at a comprehensive survey of Objectivism was done by Nathaniel Branden in a series of 20 lectures delivered in person and by taped recording in 80 cities across the United States and the world from 1958-1968 (for a discussion of this, see the Preface essay from Barbara Branden, entitled "The Birth of Objectivism"). Just recently issued in print format, it is still (by far) the best general survey of the scope of Objectivism. The book was published by Laissez Faire Books and can be purchased directly from them at www.lfb.org OR from amazon.com (and see the User Review by Ted Keer of this book on Amazon, and it is also included elsewhere on this Objectivist Living website).

BTW, due to a pagination error, the indexed page numbers are off. This will be corrected and released probably as a download through laissez faire books (but not yet available).

Incidentally, the catalog of Laissez Faire Books has a section on Ayn Rand and Objectivism that includes many books not easily available elsewhere. It is available online, as a pdf download, or in print.

Tibor Machan is undoubtedly the most prolific (over 30 books and many articles in professional academic journals and opinion magazines) philosopher that has written on Objectivism, libertarianism and related political, economic, and philosophical issues. See his Ayn Rand (and for that matter, all his books, too many to cite here).

Undoubtedly the best scholarly study of Ayn Rand, Objectivism, and their significance in the world of philosophy is Chris Scibarra's Ayn Rand: The Russian Radical. In addition to its unusually lucid and comprehensive discussion of this subject, you will find incredibly detailed footnote annotations, bibliographies, and indexes.

In the field of psychology and personal applications of Objectivism, see Nathaniel Branden's The Psychology of Self-Esteem (1970) and his subsequent works.

For a view by a libertarian journalist as to how Ayn Rand fits (or doesn't quite fit!) into the historical development of libertarianism, see Brian Doherty's Radicals For Capitalism: A Freewheeling History of the Modern American Libertarian Movement (2007).

For a multi-disciplinary academic survey of the significance and impact of Ayn Rand, see Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged: A Philosophical and Literary Companion (2007), edited by Edward W. Younkins.

For a discussion of the schisms that have occurred in the Objectivist movements, see David Kelley's The Contested Legacy of Ayn Rand: Truth and Toleration in Objectivism (2000).

There are many more. Want more? Just ask us!

Enjoy your philosophical adventure!

Edited by Jerry Biggers

I'm interested in science and computers, especially as we move into a future where artificial intelligence is a real possibility, and my goal is to found and run a successful robotics/AI company.

Hi Sawyer,

Always good to hear of another college student Objectivist (not enough of us). Also always good to hear of another college student interested in science and computers (not enough of us). Objectivism pairs very well with engineering/science. What year are you in college? If you're after AI, then are you majoring in mechanical engineering or computer science?

Mike

Thanks for the recommendations, Jerry, I will be sure to check a few of those out!

Mike, I haven't decided yet; as an incoming freshman I haven't even started college quite yet. I will probably choose to major in one of those but plan to also take as many classes from the other as possible. My school also offers a major dubbed Computation and Neural Systems, which is another option for me.

For a while I was actually seriously considering architecture, which was what inspired me to go back and re-read The Fountainhead.

Nice meeting you all, and see you around!