Any So Cal Groups

CNA

I've finally decided to put this up here on OL. I've been in touch with a number of people from various other forums for groups out in So Cal. I know there are a few here that are in the So Cal area; such as, Greybird whom I've met in the past already and Newberry, and they may have some info about various groups close to where they live. But if anyone else has info on any groups in So Cal, I'm most interested -- just to hook up and hangout for a bit, etc. Doesn't matter if male or female. As some, if not most here, are aware, I'm much more interested in independent thinkers who admire Rand and share the same values rather than hardcore orthodoxy type stuff; ie, real life O'ism and application in our lives.

I don't want to give my email, exact location, etc., on a public forum. But if anyone has info, please send me an email through my profile or private message me or just respond here. It would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect many responses as it seems thus far in the research that I've done that So Cal doesn't seem to have many "active" groups right now but doesn't hurt to try. :)

Angie

Hi Angie,

I don't know any groups here other than my figure drawing group and the students that take my workshops in Santa Monica! But you and Greybeard (Steve) are more than welcome to visit me in my studio, and perhaps improvise something nice to eat and drink?!

My weekend days are booked but my schedule is fairly open otherwise. I would enjoy that.

Michael

mtnewberry@gmail.com

310 913 8986

I've finally decided to put this up here on OL. I've been in touch with a number of people from various other forums for groups out in So Cal. I know there are a few here that are in the So Cal area; such as, Greybird whom I've met in the past already and Newberry, and they may have some info about various groups close to where they live. But if anyone else has info on any groups in So Cal, I'm most interested -- just to hook up and hangout for a bit, etc. Doesn't matter if male or female. As some, if not most here, are aware, I'm much more interested in independent thinkers who admire Rand and share the same values rather than hardcore orthodoxy type stuff; ie, real life O'ism and application in our lives.

I don't want to give my email, exact location, etc., on a public forum. But if anyone has info, please send me an email through my profile or private message me or just respond here. It would be greatly appreciated. I don't expect many responses as it seems thus far in the research that I've done that So Cal doesn't seem to have many "active" groups right now but doesn't hurt to try. :)

Angie

You can contact quite a few LA Objectivists by joining LAON, an on-line Yahoo discussion group which also meets periodically. (Barbara Branden spoke to the group in April. I reported on her talk in Barbara's "corner" here on OL.) Just send an e-mail to laobjectivists@yahoogroups.com and ask for information about joining. I'm not sure when their next meeting will be. We would be delighted to have you as a member.

Hey Dennis,

thanks for the info, I just sent in to join.

Michael

Hi Michael,

You're welcome! I will look forward to seeing you at one of the meetings soon.

I actually had no idea you were here in LA. Somehow I got the impression you lived in New York (or was it Paris?)

Dennis,

Nice that Angie started the thread, to bring us up to date. I am in Santa Monica with a very nice studio/gallery now, for over a year. Before that Brooklyn, Tampa Bay, and the Greek Island of Rhodes.

Look forward to catching up with Objectivists here. I think I first met Phil Coates, years ago at an O gathering somewhere in L.A.

Cheers,

Michael

Angie

You can contact quite a few LA Objectivists by joining LAON, an on-line Yahoo discussion group which also meets periodically. (Barbara Branden spoke to the group in April. I reported on her talk in Barbara's "corner" here on OL.) Just send an e-mail to laobjectivists@yahoogroups.com and ask for information about joining. I'm not sure when their next meeting will be. We would be delighted to have you as a member.

Dennis,

Thank you very much for the info. It's greatly appreciated. I'll be sending them an email. Although LA is a distance from me, I am willing to drive. Although I am hesitant for a few reasons to give my exact location (city) on a public forum, I made the request as overbroadly as I could and to encompass all of So Cal. If there were any responses, it may perhaps vary widely in venues. Ideally for me, it would be South LA County such as LB, all of OC, some parts of North San Diego County, perhaps some parts of San Bernardino County. Of those I have been in contact with in these areas, it seems there's not much in the way of groups that meet regularly and "active" if you will. So it looks to be LA for me and may even see you at one of the meetings!!!! But you may not recognize me because I've cut my hair recently and it's quite a bit shorter.

Michael,

Thanks for the contact info and will make a visit perhaps sometime soon and may even see you at one of the meetings too.

Angie

Angie, I can heartily recommend the monthly Karl Hess (Supper) Club, which attracts many Objectivist and Libertarian folk for a meal and a speaker. It meets in Culver City at an accessible and quite inexpensive family restaurant, on the third Monday evening of each month.

The next meeting, on 16 August, features a biographer who's doing a somewhat unconventional pair of books on the life and work of science fiction author Robert Heinlein. It's a wide variety of speakers, but always intriguing. After dinner, for those inclined, many who attend adjourn to a local sports bar for a gabfest.

I'd be happy to provide more details, and to see you again if you can come to the August meeting.

Angie, I can heartily recommend the monthly Karl Hess (Supper) Club, which attracts many Objectivist and Libertarian folk for a meal and a speaker. It meets in Culver City at an accessible and quite inexpensive family restaurant, on the third Monday evening of each month.

The next meeting, on 16 August, features a biographer who's doing a somewhat unconventional pair of books on the life and work of science fiction author Robert Heinlein. It's a wide variety of speakers, but always intriguing. After dinner, for those inclined, many who attend adjourn to a local sports bar for a gabfest.

I'd be happy to provide more details, and to see you again if you can come to the August meeting.

Thank you, Steve, very much!! I saw this not too long ago and thinking about attending. It would be intriguing I'm sure. It would be good to see you again. It's been how many years now? Three or four? I see your pic as well. ;) Hey, waidda second!! I remember that pix!! LOL I haven't changed much other than much shorter hair, lost about 10 pounds or so, sportin' about 130, maybe 135 now which everyone says is too skinny for my height, blah, blah, blah...LOL...and oh, yeah, can't forget the damn grey hair that's coming in ta boot. LMAO

I would much prefer the gabfest at that bar as compared to the last bar I was in where there was a bachelorette party for a friend of the family's and then more at another place and Wow is all I can say. LOL I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to this upcoming meeting. This next month is kinda hectic for me but I'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis,

I had to post this here and say thank you for the wonderful conversation yesterday. There was no lull in the convo at all and flowed so easily from the minute we approached each other with huge smiles and introducing ourselves. I finally got to have a real life O'ist in front of me and it was intriguing and fascinating the entire 4 hours we spent together talking at Starbucks. Fabulous!! You are much appreciated, admired, and commended for all of your wonderful achievements and I acknowledge every one of them!!! You're a wonderful conversationalist in all the different aspects that we spoke and you're easy to talk with. You are truly a happy man in what I observed, very expressive, no strain there at all, and a joy to witness!!

I have to make my way down to meet Michael soon and will. I probably should have approached the O'ists behind me and my son at the Rush concert Friday night but no biggie. I'm sure if they're in the neighborhood and any groups nearby I may see them again. But it's sooo nice to find O'ists close to me almost in my own backyard and reaching out and I'm overtaken with joy and feel like a kid in a candyshop with all the new discoveries to be had to delight the senses!!

Thank you!!!! :)

Angie

Dennis,

I had to post this here and say thank you for the wonderful conversation yesterday. There was no lull in the convo at all and flowed so easily from the minute we approached each other with huge smiles and introducing ourselves. I finally got to have a real life O'ist in front of me and it was intriguing and fascinating the entire 4 hours we spent together talking at Starbucks. Fabulous!! You are much appreciated, admired, and commended for all of your wonderful achievements and I acknowledge every one of them!!! You're a wonderful conversationalist in all the different aspects that we spoke and you're easy to talk with. You are truly a happy man in what I observed, very expressive, no strain there at all, and a joy to witness!!

I have to make my way down to meet Michael soon and will. I probably should have approached the O'ists behind me and my son at the Rush concert Friday night but no biggie. I'm sure if they're in the neighborhood and any groups nearby I may see them again. But it's sooo nice to find O'ists close to me almost in my own backyard and reaching out and I'm overtaken with joy and feel like a kid in a candyshop with all the new discoveries to be had to delight the senses!!

Angie

Angie,

Do you have any idea what a pleasure it is to encounter a woman of your insight, intelligence and independence? If I was a superficial man (I'm not, but I do have my moments :)), I would also mention that you are radiantly beautiful. I’m a little amazed that I was able to string so many coherent sentences together while being so stunned by your loveliness.

The innocent warmth of your greeting set the stage for the hours of mutual sharing that followed. Your honesty and openness was obvious from the start. You spoke of your life with perceptive, thoughtful introspection reflecting a unique self-awareness. It is clear that the wonderful person you are today is the result of a series of well-examined decisions in the face of challenges that would have confounded most people. And you had the strength to follow through on those decisions and assert your needs and fight for the life you knew to be possible. The joyous sense of life I saw reflected in your eyes has been earned the hard way, which just makes you that much more rare and remarkable. You are a total delight, to be sure. But you are so much more than that. You are a living testimony to the rewards of rationality and personal responsibility.

It is a pleasure and an honor to know you.

Dennis

Dennis,

Angie

Angie,

Do you have any idea what a pleasure it is to encounter a woman of your insight, intelligence and independence? If I was a superficial man (I'm not, but I do have my moments :)), I would also mention that you are radiantly beautiful. I’m a little amazed that I was able to string so many coherent sentences together while being so stunned by your loveliness.

The innocent warmth of your greeting set the stage for the hours of mutual sharing that followed. Your honesty and openness was obvious from the start. You spoke of your life with perceptive, thoughtful introspection reflecting a unique self-awareness. It is clear that the wonderful person you are today is the result of a series of well-examined decisions in the face of challenges that would have confounded most people. And you had the strength to follow through on those decisions and assert your needs and fight for the life you knew to be possible. The joyous sense of life I saw reflected in your eyes has been earned the hard way, which just makes you that much more rare and remarkable. You are a total delight, to be sure. But you are so much more than that. You are a living testimony to the rewards of rationality and personal responsibility.

It is a pleasure and an honor to know you.

Dennis

I sincerely apologize, Dennis, for taking so long to respond. I've had a lot going on lately. I do know that I am a bit at a loss for words right now which is not easy for someone to accomplish. Always have something to say about something or other. LOL Thank you very much for the compliment and I'm ecstatic that I was able to have such an effect on you. It was wonderful being able to bounce ideas back and forth. I've met some truly great people here at OL and you are definitely one of them! Again, thank you.

Angie