suggestion for new Objectivism book ~not~ about Ayn Rand

I just had a brainstorm. You're familiar, I'm sure, with The Ayn Rand Lexicon, right? It's kind of a dictionary of terms according to Ayn Rand.

Well, how about a book of quotes by Nathaniel Branden? He has said many clear, insightful, even brilliant things that deserve to be remembered.

I don't know if we could get permission to do the book, but there'd be nothing to stop us from starting to gather the quotes. Even if somebody else scarfed up our work and made a book out of it, so what? At least it would get done, and it would be a good thing!

Or, if you really like the idea, maybe we could approach NB for permission to do it! Whatcha think?

Roger Bissell

Longtime admirer of NB

P.S. -- For that matter, a Nathaniel Branden Lexicon might be a good idea, too!

Roger,

I simply love the idea!

I am writing a book now, but I would certainly find the time to work on something like that.

I don't know Nathaniel yet. I know that Barbara has mentioned me to him, but I have not had any contact with him yet. (How's this for a Hollywood build-up?)

If you want to make your idea a joint project and approach Nathaniel about it, count me in. Let's go off line, get an outline going, get down on the research and post teasers as we go along.

Here is another possible work I want to badger Barbara about - her contribution to psycho-epistemology. (Nathaniel wrote the very first article on this. Ayn Rand used to use his definition in "The Psycho-Epistemology of Art" before that essay was published in The Romantic Manifesto, but changed it to one of her own for that book. In The Psychology of Self Esteem, Nathaniel credited Barbara with coming up with the concept pf psycho-epistemology in the 50's and constantly pitching it to him and Ms. Rand.

I suspect there is a lot of deep water running there.

btw - Welcome on board. Your presence brings me great happiness.

Michael

I'm glad to be here, Michael, and I appreciate the warm words of welcome and the enthusiasm for some fun possibilities to work on together. :D

I have been with and corresponded with NB a number of times, so I would be happy to approach him about our ideas. I agree with your suggestion of working offline and posting teasers to this list.

Becky and I met Barbara a couple of weeks ago, and we are getting together with her and James Kilbourne in a couple of weeks for dinner. I will certainly pick her brains at that time about possible book projects. She may be wanting to keep her plans close to the vest, though. We'll see.

all 4 now,

reb

Roger,

In my recent reconstruction of my Objectivist and Self-Esteem library, I see that I have only four NB books right now:

The Psychology of Self-Esteem

Honoring the Self

How to Raise Your Self-Esteem

The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem

Gotta start ordering the others.

Should a compilation idea be a go, do you think he will provide us with computer copies for easier searching?

Michael

Roger,

In my recent reconstruction of my Objectivist and Self-Esteem library,  I see that I have only four NB books right now:

Honoring the Self

Gotta start ordering the others.

Well, get busy! :lol:

Seriously, at a minimum, you should add The Disowned Self and The Psychology of Romantic Love (or whatever it's called). His more recent books on living consciously and taking responsibility are also important.

Should a compilation idea be a go, do you think he will provide us with computer copies for easier searching?

Michael

I don't know. You by now have received the cc's of two emails I sent Nathaniel regarding possible projects. I think he is unsure of the market for such books, especially considering that he already has the daily self-esteem book available.

He and I will sit down and talk (or chat by phone) about this idea some more soon. I'll keep you posted.

But as a Plan B, if the publication route doesn't materialize, I think that a folder or two or three here on this site would be a wonderful place to share the results of our perusing of NB's works. You know, a folder devoted to pithy one-liners, a folder devoted to definitions of important psychology terms, a folder of works he has recommended for reading or cited in his books and essays.

I also think a folder dedicated to a Nathaniel Branden Bibliography (i.e., a listing of his writings and tapes) would be a wonderful addition to this website. Viz., not only his 20 or so books, but monographs and essays, tapes and CDs, etc. I'd like to be the compiler of this. There could be reviews and discussion of any and all of the items, too.

Let me know if you and/or Kat would be willing to open up a folder, or a section of folders (see below for more), for this kind of thing.

Something similar could be done for Barbara Branden's works, including her contribution to Who is Ayn Rand, her essays for The Objectivist Newsletter and The Objectivist, her Efficient Thinking lectures, her various essays and interviews in magazines and online, and of course her book The Passion of Ayn Rand.

Nor should the list end there. I have compiled a list of Leonard Peikoff's lectures, to which should be added his books and essays. The same should be done for David Kelley. And for Tibor Machan. And for Chris Sciabarra. And for George Reisman. And for Robert Efron. The list goes on and on. So many Objectivists and Objectivist-inspired writers and lecturers from whom we can learn so much -- and have already!

But back to your concern, Michael. I prefer perusing Branden's works page by page, listing definitions and one-liners as I go.

all 4 now,

reb

Roger,

Of course there will be room for posting anything they want to put here. Also, we would be glad to open any space whatsoever for adding lectures, quotes, etc.

I even like the idea of the other major Objectivist figures.

This software is great for the price, but it is a little limited. For instance, when you post an article, it strips all formatting and you have to go back through and add it.

I am thinking of trying to tie it to another site on this same URL just to hold the articles in a more organized manner and then link to them for discussions. We're still working on thinking this through.

About the Branden books I don't have yet, I merely don't have them. that doesn't mean I didn't read them. I have read most.

I remember reading Breaking Free in the early 70's. I was not aware of the split back then because I did not subscribe to The Objectivist and I avoided the Rand people because of a few unpleasant experiences. Then, a little later in Brazil, there was nothing available on the Objectivist world or books. Can you imagine reading Breaking Free and expecting to read another Fountainhead or something??? LOLOLOLOLOLOL...

What a shock!

Also, one part I liked a lot in The Psychology of Romantic Love was the historical essay on romantic love at the beginning. Not only was it a great social overview from a unique romantic love slant, it is not very characteristic of Nathaniel's writing.

I read that book while I was going through an incredibly high-and-low roller-coaster-like romantic relationship with a former Playboy Bunny.

(hunkering over)

Shhhh... don't tell Kat I posted about h-h-h-her on this site...

Anyway, it was a great book and gave me much food for thought, but given the hare-brained mentality of my ex, it didn't even make a dent in her outlook.

I forgot to mention, I also have the TOC 28 CD set of Basic Principles of Objectivism.

Michael

Roger,

Dayaamm! I forgot the most obvious book I have of NB - Judgment Day!

That makes it:

Honoring the Self

Judgment Day

TOC 28 CD set of Basic Principles of Objectivism

There. That's a little more respectable. Still gotta get some more books, though.

I have been doing a bit of research. A new small bio is needed. I will put something together and maybe we can present it to him. I will also work on something for Barbara.

This is off-topic, but I am thinking of setting up a Chris Sciabarra Corner next.

Michael