Leninism of the Right ...

syrakusos

• 2 weeks later...

It's a matter of context.

Glenn Beck is a libertarian, not a conservative. He is deeply religious and that is a problem. When one of his shows starts going that direction, I turn if off as soon as I see what the theme is. But despite his religious views, he is far closer to Objectivism's positions in politics than an anarchist (Sorry, Michael, I don't meant to pick on you, but this is fact, and this is the kind of area where your anarchy blinds you.)

The really important issues, is that his opposition to statism is primarily libertarian, not religious. He favors limited government for the sake of economic and political freedom, not as a means to force desired religious views. And unlike many conservatives, he sees the people as having the rights and government as their servant. Add to that, unlike most conservatives, he understands the constitution.

He has had Yaron Brook on his show several times, and went out to dinner with him. I heard that Yaron was unable to convince him that individual rights are logically derived from human nature as opposed to being a gift from God, but they still found one another as allies in opposing the view that government derives human rights. Beck has found some way, in his mind to marry Libertarianism and Christianity. I'm saddened that he doesn't see the flaws there, but I'm deeply impressed with his ability to see what the progressives are doing. His track record in finding out what they are going to do next, and often being the first to find out are unparalleled.

I basically agree with this. And Steve and I haven't talked in well over a year. So I'm certainly not the only one who sees these things in Beck. Even Yaron Brook and Barbara Branden have common ground here. ...

Michael

Michael, you have always been an exceptionally perceptive fellow. :) We should talk more often!

-----------

I'm struck by the emotionalism in the attacks on Beck - here in this thread, not just out on Huffington Post. As if a dislike of his entertainment style or his personality or his use of blackboards were elements of intellectual weight in this context.

As a side note, I dislike clownishness or the heavy use of sarcasm or ridicule as an accompaniment with philosophical or political arguments and I'm nearly phobic when it comes to religiousity. I mention this to let you know that it took awhile for me cotton to Mr. Beck - but I've become deeply impressed with his effectiveness in the context that matters to us: awakening the voting public to the nature of progressivism, the economic and political dangers we face, the extreme changes needed to reclaim our freedom, the exposure to libertarianism, the energizing via the tea party movement of a political force against big government, and much more.

I can't imagine joining with the progressives in attacking anyone that is doing all that he is doing. He has damned the progressives with their own words, watched by millions in video clips. All in all, religious stuff aside, it has been a stunning performance.