Hello from Oak Harbor, WA

Rainridrer

Hello,

I first read "Atlas Shrugged" in a Navy brig as a 19 year old kid. For the first time in my life I felt that there were people on the planet earth who weren't all that different from me. Still, I feel somewhat alone. Often I'm ashamed of human behavior. The frequent and repeated irrational acts of most humans utterly mystify, and frankly, terrify me.

I delight in giving the written works of Ayn Rand to others in the hope of slowly improving the world one mind at a time. I find her books at flea markets, garage sales, used book stores, resale shops, etc. and pass them on. I see little effect of 40 years of that activity, yet I remain optimistic.

I hope to find a haven of rational thought here.

John D. Johnson

Oak Harbor, WA

Welcome, John.

What Brant said is subjective...haha! He's one of the cool cats. Hope your experience here is more than you expect.

~ Shane

John,

What kind of bike is that? Are you a serious biker?

I drove motorcycles for years, but the biggest was a Kawasaki GPz550 -- a fast little sucker. I never dropped a bike, but I grew tired of being invisible to car drivers, and I figured it was only a matter of time until I got into a serious accident on one of the LA freeways.

The incident that finally broke my will-to-ride occurred many years ago as I was riding northbound on the Hollywood Freeway. I was returning home from a party at around 3 a.m., so the freeway was clear, but I was in a very dark area. As I was zipping along at around 65 mph in the center lane, I saw a guy standing on the side of freeway waving frantically at me. Then, as I looked straight ahead again, I was practically on top of a car that had stalled in the center lane, and it didn't have a single light on. There was nothing I could do to avoid hitting the car except turn the handlebars sharply to the left. Fortunately, that worked, but I came so close to crashing that the side of my right leg actually scraped against the car. Another nano-second and I would been airborne, flying over the top of that car to my death, or least to very serious injuries.

That incident, combined with some other near-misses over the years, convinced me to sell my Kawasaki.

Ghs

Shane, Michael, Brant and George,

I really appreciate the welcome. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

George, I'm not sure what you would consider a serious biker. I'm not a racer. My '07 Road King Classic is my primary means of transportation. I ride rain or shine; the only thing that keeps me from riding is black ice. I enjoy life too much to risk that! I have been down twice, both times on a '74 650 Yamaha. I'm older and wiser now. I don't think I would ride in the LA area. I've driven there quite a bit.

Work is a big part of my life. I'm a manager at a 150 employee company on Whidbey Island. I have always enjoyed work and would appreciate hearing what some of you do.

John

George, I'm not sure what you would consider a serious biker. I'm not a racer. My '07 Road King Classic is my primary means of transportation. I ride rain or shine; the only thing that keeps me from riding is black ice.

That qualifies you as a serious biker, in my book. :rolleyes:

Ghs