Book club dinner party

9thdoctor

Arguably this belongs in Humor, but come posting time it’s either/or (damn you Aristotle!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr-_ahOn2Tk

Here’s another related bit of silliness from the archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20041216052612/www.dailyobjectivist.com/Connect/CookbookMarginalia.asp

I'm disappointed :(

Yeah, it was pretty lame. OTOH, if she knew her stuff and wanted to get a cheap laugh, she could have recommended Chicken Tetrazzini.

As it is, her Beef Stroganoff recipe is available.

I don't know if I'm stroganoff to stomach this kind of humor.

Addishionally, making small potatoes of serious matters is in SUCH poor taste. Can't youse guys cook up something better? Perhaps you should wok away from such an unpalatable topic.

This is a recipe for disaster.

:blink:

Edited by Philip Coates

Addishionally, making small potatoes of serious matters is in SUCH poor taste. Can't youse guys cook up something better?

Hey, I thought the NPR clip was worth sharing, it certainly points to higher visibility of Rand in the culture, however lacking in insight and content it turned out to be.

Peter Taylor’s been bugging me to change to a feline avatar, I’m not going to, but I’ve come across one that would be perfect for you Phil:

Iareseriouscat.jpg

If I had to pick one for myself, it would probably be this:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8558&view=findpost&p=97732

ND, my post was humor (not criticism).

How often do you get a chance to use stroganoff in a pun? You have a beef with that?

Edited by Philip Coates

ND, my post was humor (not criticism).

Yeah yeah, I was just looking to point out a new avatar idea to you. You switched to the blast-off pic in the run-up to your last flounce, I figured you were highlighting the countdown to your departure. Now it seems you’re back, so maybe it’s time for a change. That cat really captures your personality, the threatening dog was never right for you.

angry_dog.gif

ND, some "patronizing, condescending, and superior" advice to you and many of the other frequent posters very much like you on this list -- something I've noticed for a long time as the list has gone south -- and driven a lot of people away either permanently or (as in my case) for long stretches while my disgust has time to diminish:

1. Don't use non-objective language like "flounce" or "schoolmarm".

It's a bad mental habit, a way of loading or slanting a post that you, MSK, and others on this board have picked up from Lindsay Perigo.

2. The same thing applies to too much reliance on Menckenish snarkiness, like Jeff R (he's not the worst, simply the most recent and/or most consistent in intellectual style of undercutting). Or too much reliance on cartoons and videos instead of detailed and precise argument, like you and others, imitating Adam S. who started doing it every third post.

Instead take the time to compose careful posts and try to name things exactly.

3. Suppress the temptation to brush this aside and simply 'fire back in outrage' with a list of things for -me- to improve on.

(Also, the avatar thing was sort of passive-aggressive, trying to get a little 'dig' in . . . and not appreciated. It's the kind of slightly belittling joke that I'd take from a friend, someone who wishes me well. Unlike yourself. As in the points above, usually best to grant someone the respect of coming out and saying something directly, not in mean-spirited way, but precisely and carefully.)

Edited by Philip Coates

ND, some "patronizing, condescending, and superior" advice to you and many of the other frequent posters very much like you on this list -- something I've noticed for a long time as the list has gone south -- and driven a lot of people away either permanently or (as in my case) for long stretches while my disgust has time to diminish:

1. Don't use non-objective language like "flounce" or "schoolmarm".

It's a bad mental habit, a way of loading or slanting a post that you, MSK, and others on this board have picked up from Lindsay Perigo.

This is advice to help me achieve what goal? To become more like you?

2. The same thing applies to too much reliance on Menckenish snarkiness, like Jeff R (he's not the worst, simply the most recent and/or most consistent in intellectual style of undercutting). Or too much reliance on cartoons and videos instead of detailed and precise argument, like you and others, imitating Adam S. who started doing it every third post.

I bet Jeff R. doesn’t mind being characterized as Menckenish, it sounds like quite the compliment. Adam would be first to point out that I started the trend towards what you’re calling “too much reliance on cartoons and videos”, I like to have fun here, from this http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8573&pid=97783&st=0entry97783 you can infer what I do for a day job. I’ll lend you a pair of shoes so long as you walk a mile in them.

Instead take the time to compose careful posts and try to name things exactly.

3. Suppress the temptation to brush this aside and simply 'fire back in outrage' with a list of things for -me- to improve on.

(Also, the avatar thing was sort of passive-aggressive, trying to get a little 'dig' in . . . and not appreciated. It's the kind of slightly belittling joke that I'd take from a friend, someone who wishes me well. Unlike yourself. As in the points above, usually best to grant someone the respect of coming out and saying something directly, not in mean-spirited way, but precisely and carefully.)

May you remain immutably you, you’re such an effing hoot. C’mon, you liked the cat, right? Passive-aggressive? I came out and said it should be your avatar, how’s that passive-aggressive? Oh forget it, now you’ll never use the cat picture, so what’s the point arguing?

> I like to have fun here [ND]

Nothing wrong with that, of course. But I personally find it fun to write and to read things which are precise, clear, and which teach me something. Sometimes you might find fun in fully fleshing out and working out a set of ideas. That can be the most fun you can have with your clothes on. :-)

Something wrong with someone's "fun" if it's too often being sadistic or belittling or taking shots at others. (You are probably not the worst on this list in this regard.)

> the cat...I came out and said it should be your avatar, how’s that passive-aggressive?

ND, you were critiquing what I have to offer intellectually, implying my posts and what I have to offer is so "catty" that it should be my avatar --- without coming out and saying it or giving evidence of it.

ND, you were critiquing what I have to offer intellectually, implying my posts and what I have to offer is so "catty" that it should be my avatar

Nope, I’d characterize this feline as, above all, sober looking. And mildly condescending, secondly. The other one (the second picture) is catty, and that’s what I would use since it looks like the picture I already use (and which Peter hates). Trust me, this avatar is perfect for you, that is, if you were to take Peter’s lead and switch to a cat picture. I’ve cropped it for you, I’m feeling irrationally exuberant with a certainty that you will finally adopt it. Lonesome putty needs a home.

Iareseriouscat1.jpglurk.jpg

Feels like shower time.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

• 2 weeks later...

“People will be able to look up BREAKFAST and see that I did not advocate eating babies for breakfast.”

Ayn Rand, quoted by Harry Binswanger in the Ayn Rand Lexicon.

Hence her dinner recipe, which is really just a cross between Boeuf Bourguignon and Yankee Pot Roast:

evilcookbabymotiv.jpg

She wimped out on giving any examples of dishes with one overriding strong flavor.

The video got pulled from youtube, so before this goes down the memory hole, the show was The Splendid Table, 4/24/10, starting at 35’20.

http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/about/podcast/

She ultimately suggests mexican pork chili. think.gif