What's Happening?

George H. Smith

I've never heard of Janis Ian until now, she's really cute, and I liked the song.

Here's an amazing performer, he's actually a friend of mine going pretty far back, he has solid Jazz chops which he applies to R&B/Pop, his live performances are just jaw dropping. Almost like a circus act with such a WTF factor:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

9th:

Dayaam - good piece...is he sighted?

Janis is no longer cute. And Society's Child always made me laugh because I was the designated person to pick up the Jewish girls because I could "pass" as Jewish. She was a perfect example of the hypocrisy which existed. What I disliked was that she gave in and did not tell her family and repressive Brooklyn Jewish culture to, frankly, go fuck itself.

Adam

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I once edited a post to elaborate on the term 'truth', and had deleted banter from another of my posts, totally unconnected to your opinion (you believed that I thought I had convinced this poster to drop his objectivist belief.

This is why I don't trust Xray.

This is a flat-out lie.

Xray edited a whole slew of posts, starting with ones concerning concepts being categories. I know because I read them, then on trying to quote them, saw that they had been altered. That's not the only topic, either.

OL's 24 hour limit for altering past posts is due to this misbehavior.

Michael

It was originally 30 minutes then soon after 60.

This is why I'm glad I don't run a site like this--all the heavy lifting, all the reading I really wouldn't want to do but would have to.

Thanks, Michael.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Dayaam - good piece...is he sighted?

He’s blind. He was born prematurely and was put in an incubator with too much oxygen, that caused it. So, he was blind from birth for all intents and purposes. He’s listened to Atlas Shrugged on audio, and thought it was great. I haven’t talked to him in a couple years now. He went to the University of Miami and studied Jazz, he comes back to perform here every now and then, but mostly tours the world.

http://www.raulmidon.com/

The basic theme of the book is that the individualistic IDEA of "equal freedom," which took centuries to develop, has largely been "lost" in America...Yes, this conclusion is pessimistic in a way, but that's the way it is. And even if things change for the better, to the point where the notion of equal freedom becomes widely understood and accepted, this will take a long time. I certainly won't live to see it, and I doubt if anyone on OL will, either.

It sounds interesting tracking the concept of "equal freedom" through history to present times. Do you think it is possible for a culture to universally accept individualism? It seems to me that we see history through a special lens, which in hindsight and selectivity focuses on important events, people, and works. Could we be the early stages of a new Renaissance? I have heard a few Objectivist philosophers state your view about not seeing "it" in their lifetime, but I have always wondered what qualifies that statement. What exactly would you need to see in the state of culture to be satisfied that individualism has arrived?

Edited by Newberry

I'll take Krupa anytime - best white drummer I ever saw.

I like Krupa, but he tended to play over the top at times. I prefer Buddy Rich, who was not only a great drummer but also led one of the best big bands during the 1960s.

Rich was a stern taskmasker who would not tolerate mediocrity among his musicians. This recording will show what I mean:

Buddy Rich Chews Out His Band

Ghs

Twice now I've attempted to post an embedded YouTube video instead of the link, and twice I've failed.

Each time I highlighted, copied and pasted the code from the "Embed" bar on YouTube. The first time I checked the "Preview Post" on this page, and all I saw was the code, so I didn't click "Add Reply." I then thought that the video itself might not show up in the "Preview Post," so I tried posting the embed code from another video and clicked "Add Reply." That didn't work either. The code, not the video, was still all that appeared.

So what am I doing wrong?

Ghs

I'll take Krupa anytime - best white drummer I ever saw.

I like Krupa, but he tended to play over the top at times. I prefer Buddy Rich, who was not only a great drummer but also led one of the best big bands during the 1960s.

Rich was a stern taskmasker who would not tolerate mediocrity among his musicians. This recording will show what I mean:

Buddy Rich Chews Out His Band

Ghs

George:

In five decades in politics and competitions, I have been on both sides of those conversations.

In my drummer keepers, this is a treasure. I like what Sammy Davis does at the end.

Enjoy.

Adam

Let me try again, the first time nothing happened...

Twice now I've attempted to post an embedded YouTube video instead of the link, and twice I've failed.

Each time I highlighted, copied and pasted the code from the "Embed" bar on YouTube. The first time I checked the "Preview Post" on this page, and all I saw was the code, so I didn't click "Add Reply." I then thought that the video itself might not show up in the "Preview Post," so I tried posting the embed code from another video and clicked "Add Reply." That didn't work either. The code, not the video, was still all that appeared.

Did you enable html in the post options? The default is html off.

Ghs

Paste the embed code, hit the green button with a white cross in the middle under Options, it says "Click to configure post options" next to it. Then there'll be drop down box that'll say "HTML Off", switch it to "HTML On-Auto Linebreak Mode", then hit Preview Post, the video should show up in your post. On some threads it doesn't work though.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ghs

Paste the embed code, hit the green button with a white cross in the middle under Options, it says "Click to configure post options" next to it. Then there'll be drop down box that'll say "HTML Off", switch it to "HTML On-Auto Linebreak Mode", then hit Preview Post, the video should show up in your post. On some threads it doesn't work though.

When I hit "Click to configure post options," the only things that appear are "Enable emoticons?" "Enable signature?" and "Post icon, Use None." I can't find any HTML switch.

Ghs

When I hit "Click to configure post options," the only things that appear are "Enable emoticons?" "Enable signature?" and "Post icon, Use None." I can't find any HTML switch.

Strange. It is the first option, just to the right of "Post Options", with default text "HTML off".

Ghs

That's happenned to me before, too. I figured it was a thread specific problem, but I guess not. The instructions I gave work about 98% of the time. When it doesn't work, I just say "F" it and post a link.

The chess buffs on OL may enjoy this video I made about Colley's Chess Cafe in Bloomington. Pay special attention to the chess bar and tables. Colley Kitson, who is my best friend in this armpit of a city, had them custom made by a local carpenter, and they are things of beauty.

Colley's Chess Cafe (Bloomington, IL)

Ghs

The chess buffs on OL may enjoy this video I made about Colley's Chess Cafe in Bloomington. Pay special attention to the chess bar and tables. Colley Kitson, who is my best friend in this armpit of a city, had them custom made by a local carpenter, and they are things of beauty.

Colley's Chess Cafe (Bloomington, IL)

Ghs

Beautiful cafe, nice tune. Your friend did a great job on the place.

I ran a chess club in Gloucester Virginia with three other gentlemen. We had Abbey Marshall at the club two (2) or three (3) times. She is the sixteen (16) year old girl that won two (2) national invitational girls chess tournaments. She had just beaten three (3) master ranked male opponents en route to tying for second (2nd) at the US Open.

She also loves the Kings Gambit, playing white of course, which is generally my favorite white opening. Drove Bobby Fisher nuts till he developed a way to attempt to attack it.

She ranks 21st amongst all American women. Wonderful young lady. http://main.uschess..../view/9215/520/

Have you read Pawn Power by Hans Kmoch. Great book http://www.powells.c...780486264868-7. In 1959, he wrote his most famous book, Pawn Power in Chess (German: Die Kunst der Bauernführung), which is notorious for its use of neologisms ("ram," "lever," "sweeper," "sealer," "quartgrip," "monochromy," etc.).[1

Transformed my game when I read it 1960...just about the time I first read Atlas...my crazy Russian decade I guess.

Adam

I love the game also...no luck, no wind, no bad dice or cards...and no place to hide when you lose!

Edited by Selene

Ghs

That's happenned to me before, too. I figured it was a thread specific problem, but I guess not. The instructions I gave work about 98% of the time. When it doesn't work, I just say "F" it and post a link.

Dennis,

It actually was thread-specific for a while. With the software upgrade a while back, I had to enable this option thread-by-thread and I never set aside a time to open the edit of each thread just to do this. I did it as I went along.

George,

As to your trouble, there should be a drop-down field right above "Enable emoticons" called "POST OPTIONS." The first option should read "HTML Off." Open the drop-down and choose "HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode."

I just fixed your post and embedded the video.

PS - I also just checked the VIP group and, for some reason, saw that HTML posting was off. It's now fixed.

That's really weird because VIP is supposed to be the "next to God" category...

Michael

George,

As to your trouble, there should be a drop-down field right above "Enable emoticons" called "POST OPTIONS." The first option should read "HTML Off." Open the drop-down and choose "HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode."

I just fixed your post and embedded the video.

PS - I also just checked the VIP group and, for some reason, saw that HTML posting was off. It's now fixed.

That's really weird because VIP is supposed to be the "next to God" category...

Michael

Okay, the HTML option is now available. It would have been hard to miss. 8-)

I am using a video that I really like to test this out.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not to get too anal about details, but, contrary to what this video indicates, "September Song" was not "by Django Reinhardt." The German composer Kurt Weill wrote it, along with "Mack the Knife" ("Die Moritat von Mackie Messer").

Grisman's name is also misspelled "Grissman."

Ghs

I ran a chess club in Gloucester Virginia with three other gentlemen. We had Abbey Marshall at the club two (2) or three (3) times. She is the sixteen (16) year old girl that won two (2) national invitational girls chess tournaments. She had just beaten three (3) master ranked male opponents en route to tying for second (2nd) at the US Open.

She also loves the Kings Gambit, playing white of course, which is generally my favorite white opening. Drove Bobby Fisher nuts till he developed a way to attempt to attack it.

She ranks 21st amongst all American women. Wonderful young lady. http://main.uschess..../view/9215/520/

Have you read Pawn Power by Hans Kmoch. Great book http://www.powells.c...780486264868-7. In 1959, he wrote his most famous book, Pawn Power in Chess (German: Die Kunst der Bauernführung), which is notorious for its use of neologisms ("ram," "lever," "sweeper," "sealer," "quartgrip," "monochromy," etc.).[1

Transformed my game when I read it 1960...just about the time I first read Atlas...my crazy Russian decade I guess.

Adam

I love the game also...no luck, no wind, no bad dice or cards...and no place to hide when you lose!

I have not read the book you mentioned. I have quite a few books on chess, but I don't have the time to spend with them that I would like.

I don't see the King's Gambit played very often, but when it is, I have very little idea of how to respond to it. Beyond a handful of basic openings, I'm not very good at memorizing opening moves to any depth. I therefore attempt to play positionally, while keeping fundamentals in mind.

Although I played quite a bit of chess during my high school and college years, I went decades without playing much at all. It wasn't until around five years ago that I took up the game again in a serious way.

I don't have a lot of natural talent for chess. I haven't competed in any rated tournaments, but Colley estimates that my rating would probably be around 1200, maybe 1250 on a good day.

Many of the players who visit Colley's Chess Cafe are rated 1500 or higher. A few regulars are over 1800. I managed to win a game with a 1900 player once, but that was it. I only win around 25 percent of my games when I play there, but I have never minded losing at chess, so long as I played a decent game. I learn more by losing to good players than I do by beating weak players.

Around a year ago International Grandmaster Mesgen Amanov visited Colley for a few weeks, and he was often at the shop. I played him one game. Guess who won?

Ghs

George:

Playing positionally is wise. I would highly recommend Pawn Power, even though his mathematics and "unique" [some argue weird] terminology can be off setting.

His brilliance, for me, was to view the "playing field" spatially, with only both pawn structures in view.

The incredible power of the least of the pieces, when it is promoted, is conceptually in every chess player's mind and very christian lol.

However, it is at each stage of the game, the opening, middle game and end game and the key transition points between those stages, that the changing shape of the pawn structures will lead to a higher percentage of wins. Additionally, as in almost every endeavor, attention to detail matters.

It is similar to the way the seams in any sports or military defense or field of battle are the primary places to defend or exploit.

I would highly recommend The Tao of Chess

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Chess-Principles-Transform-Your/dp/1593370687?tag=dogpile-20

Just a wonderful book that teaches chess principles and abstracts or makes life comparisons.

Losing at chess is a great way to learn because there is no luck involved. Most chess players will always be teaching as they play. I have definitely learned much more from losing at chess than by winning.

Adam

I would highly recommend The Tao of Chess

http://www.amazon.com/Tao-Chess-Principles-Transform-Your/dp/1593370687?tag=dogpile-20

Just a wonderful book that teaches chess principles and abstracts or makes life comparisons.

I got The Tao of Chess a few years ago and like it a great deal.

End games have always been my greatest weakness. Even with better players I can often get through the opening and mid-game in pretty good shape, but, until the past year, even if I went into the endgame with a two or three point advantage I often lost, especially if my time was running short. Some time ago I purchased Jeremy Silman's Complete Endgame Course , and that has improved my endgame considerably.

The clock is still a problem, however. A lot of younger players only want to play speed chess. I've gotten to the point where I can play ten minute games fairly decently, but when it comes to five minutes or less, my goose is cooked. Even when I happen to win, I don't enjoy short games very much. They strike me as an entirely different game in some ways, especially when it comes to seeing who can move his pieces the fastest before time runs out. (I sometimes end up knocking pieces over in the process.) What's the point of that?

Ghs

I once edited a post to elaborate on the term 'truth', and had deleted banter from another of my posts, totally unconnected to your opinion (you believed that I thought I had convinced this poster to drop his objectivist belief.

This is why I don't trust Xray.

This is a flat-out lie.

Xray edited a whole slew of posts, starting with ones concerning concepts being categories. I know because I read them, then on trying to quote them, saw that they had been altered. That's not the only topic, either.

OL's 24 hour limit for altering past posts is due to this misbehavior.

Michael

The edit feature is there for editing. You too have have edited posts of yours, deleted parts of them, etc. That's why the feature is there: to enable posters to do this, to weed out typos, to make sentences clearer, formulate them better etc.

I too have searched for people's posts, couldn't find them anymore and concluded they probably altered or deleted them. My recent search was a part of P. Taylor's post where he had asked me a question to which I wanted to reply, but saw he deleted it - at least I couldn't find it anymore. So what? Am I to conclude "intended deception"?

In our exchange, I do recall a dicussion about concepts where it became clear to me that you had difficulties separating denotation from connotation.

Michael Jackson did not redefine the word "bad", for slang expressions are always connotative. The same goes for irony, figurative speech, etc. Subjective connotations are actually limitless.

As Rand's "definitions", they have no denotative significance, but are merely her subjective associations to terms.

Tyical example is her personal connotation to the term "selfless".

Rand using the term concept almost exclusively for 'category' only adds to the confusion. A category is "a" concept, but not concept per se.

George H. Smith: Do you have a VIP lounge? I will need it after Peter Taylor finds out that I am active on OL.

Would the VIP lounge be for 'fleeing' from a fan? :)

As for for interesting discussions you asked about, there's is curently a muslim fundamdentalist posting here who calls himself "a slave to the Creator" and advocates stoning of people who committed acts no in synch with the "morality" allegedly demanded by this supernatural creature.

Thread title: Interesting Take on Islam and Libertaranism.

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8058&st=340

You called your book "The Case Against God".

Is this to be understood as "The case against the illusion called god"?

Edited by Xray

Probably just wishing that you were an allusion.

Oh wait... I meant to say illusion.

Michael's argument, as I understand it, is that you went back and made material changes to what you wrote, in order to conform to the current fact that you had been

nailed

over a particular dispute.

You should have gotten one positive from those seven (7) years with the nuns.

Confession is good for the soul.

Do you have a subjective interpretation of the nature and existence of the illusion of a soul?

Adam

just askin kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=376s1ZXjAiU

Edited by Selene

You called your book "The Case Against God". Is this to be understood as "The case against the illusion called god"?

More or less. The title is actually Atheism: The Case Against God.

The original working title of the book was The Case For Atheism. When the manuscript was nearly complete, I had a conversation with Nathaniel Branden, who suggested the title The Case Against God. He thought this title packed more of a dramatic punch, and I agreed.

When I mentioned Nathaniel's suggestion to Sylvia Cross, my editor at Nash (publisher of the original hardcover edition in 1974), she said that she liked it but still would like to have the word "atheism" somewhere in the title. I immediately responded, "How about Atheism: The Case Against God -- and that was that.

Ghs

Mr Smith,

May I wish you a happy birthday!

Tony

(close behind you :rolleyes: )

Thank you, Tony.

At age 61, I find myself wondering whatever happened to the past 20 years. If you are close behind me, you will know what I mean.

Some might think that I should be basking in my golden years, but they are more like rust.

Fortunately, in cyberspace no one can hear me scream. 8-)

Ghs