Pragmaicism in LP's Podcasts

JamesShrugged

I do not like to discuss individuals, But I would like to discuss something I have noticed in Leonard Peikoff's podcast's. There seems to be a level of pragmaticism in his answers to questions, and it isn't isolated. His discussions of smoking (individual preference) and soldiers having "meaningless sex" (LP justifies this) both display such attributes.

Smoking particularly, which Peikoff says every person must judge for themselves, and it may be rations to conclude that smoking is acceptable at some level, depending on the health, the values, and the frequency of smoking. This is opposed to Ayn Rand's statements regarding compromise, particularly apt is the quote "There can be no compromise between food and poison." It could also be stated as "There can be no compromise between air and smoke." I contrast LP approach with Dr Hsieh's, where in a podcast she says "Smoking is bad; don't do it."

*The title should read "Pragmaticism is LP's Podcasts"

Edited by James Hughes

• 2 months later...

I do not like to discuss individuals, But I would like to discuss something I have noticed in Leonard Peikoff's podcast's. There seems to be a level of pragmaticism in his answers to questions, and it isn't isolated. His discussions of smoking (individual preference) and soldiers having "meaningless sex" (LP justifies this) both display such attributes.

Smoking particularly, which Peikoff says every person must judge for themselves, and it may be rations to conclude that smoking is acceptable at some level, depending on the health, the values, and the frequency of smoking. This is opposed to Ayn Rand's statements regarding compromise, particularly apt is the quote "There can be no compromise between food and poison." It could also be stated as "There can be no compromise between air and smoke." I contrast LP approach with Dr Hsieh's, where in a podcast she says "Smoking is bad; don't do it."

*The title should read "Pragmaticism is LP's Podcasts"

Very interesting observation. I think you are right about LP on this. I smoked in the army, especially in Vietnam. I enjoyed it and I thought there was a good chance I would get killed there, so why not? I almost was, as it was. I stopped smoking 18 months after I became a civilian. I also went to a whorehouse when I got there, for the same reason. The funny thing is, as I found out, I really am the guy who can't get laid in a whorehouse*. I had much the same problem in Las Vegas in 1978. I gave her ten dollars and sent her on her way**, wasting a hotel room in The LV Sands.

--Brant

*does not apply to blow jobs

**she also wanted too much money

Edited by Brant Gaede