Hudgins on Stossel Show (Jan. 28, 2010)

Ed Hudgins

Hudgins on Stossel Show!

Dr. Edward Hudgins, who directs advocacy and is a senior scholar at The Atlas Foundation, will appear on "The Stossel Show" on the Fox Business Channel on Thursday, January 28, 2010. The show is broadcast Thursday at 8:00pm Eastern Time with various rebroadcasts. Check your local listings.

The topic of the show will be "The Road to Serfdom."

A look at America today suggests that the country is on the same path to destruction that was the core of the plot in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. But many producers are protesting their treatment-see the signs at Tea Parties and town hall meeting-or actually escaping their persecutors.

You can read Ed's related piece "Protest of the Producers" on our website.

And don't miss his piece "The Prophetic Atlas Shrugged," which is featured in the Fall 2009 issue of The New Individualist.

The Fox Business Channel can be found on RCN Cable (Digital) on Channel 157; on RCN Cable (Rebuild Digital) on Channel 316 or 654; on Comcast (Digital) on Channel 106; on C-Span In House on Channel 020; on DISH TV on Channel 206; and on DIRECTV on Channel 359.

Excellent Ed.

I have heard you speak and you can "give em hell" in my name.

Good luck.

Adam

Sounds great. The last two episodes, Crony Capitalism and Green Jobs were both really good, better than the Atlas Shrugged episode. He didn’t take dumb questions from the live audience, I think that was what made the difference.

Has it been filmed yet? If it’s going to run the night after the State of the Union some reaction to whatever Obama says would be good.

As they say in the Operatic world: Bocca di Lupo!

Hudgins on Stossel Show!

Dr. Edward Hudgins, who directs advocacy and is a senior scholar at The Atlas Foundation, will appear on "The Stossel Show" on the Fox Business Channel on Thursday, January 28, 2010. The show is broadcast Thursday at 8:00pm Eastern Time with various rebroadcasts. Check your local listings.

The topic of the show will be "The Road to Serfdom."

A look at America today suggests that the country is on the same path to destruction that was the core of the plot in Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. But many producers are protesting their treatment-see the signs at Tea Parties and town hall meeting-or actually escaping their persecutors.

You can read Ed's related piece "Protest of the Producers" on our website.

And don't miss his piece "The Prophetic Atlas Shrugged," which is featured in the Fall 2009 issue of The New Individualist.

The Fox Business Channel can be found on RCN Cable (Digital) on Channel 157; on RCN Cable (Rebuild Digital) on Channel 316 or 654; on Comcast (Digital) on Channel 106; on C-Span In House on Channel 020; on DISH TV on Channel 206; and on DIRECTV on Channel 359.

I've yet to receive the fall issue...

Sounds great. The last two episodes, Crony Capitalism and Green Jobs were both really good, better than the Atlas Shrugged episode. He didn't take dumb questions from the live audience, I think that was what made the difference.

Has it been filmed yet? If it's going to run the night after the State of the Union some reaction to whatever Obama says would be good.

As they say in the Operatic world: Bocca di Lupo!

They film early afternoon Thurs. And speaking of opera, I'll be seeing Turandot that night at the Met!

They film early afternoon Thurs. And speaking of opera, I'll be seeing Turandot that night at the Met!

You lucky dog!

And for those of us without a tv, any chance the show will be posted online?

Stossel's shows hit YouTube within an hour of airing. That's how I've been seeing them, Comcast customer that I am.

I watched some of the State of the Union, was thinking about fresh rejoinders to that same old swill, but nothing really good came up. Looking at the assembled politicos, the main line I kept thinking of comes from Star Wars: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Stossel's shows hit YouTube within an hour of airing. That's how I've been seeing them, Comcast customer that I am.

I watched some of the State of the Union, was thinking about fresh rejoinders to that same old swill, but nothing really good came up. Looking at the assembled politicos, the main line I kept thinking of comes from Star Wars: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

The above is a really excellent description of Congress. Thanks!

And speaking of opera, I'll be seeing Turandot that night at the Met!

Turandot has a savage message. It's very anti-Objectivist. It's beyond me why anyone would want to support propaganda that seeks to reduce our civilization to bloody savagery. Ghoul!

J

Edited by Jonathan

Turandot has a savage message. It's very anti-Objectivist. It's beyond me why anyone would want to support propaganda that seeks to reduce our civilization to bloody savagery. Ghoul!

You should back up this claim, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Make a case. I say Turandot has messages about the societal role of women and class, and a rather cartoonish (read: Operatic) portrayal of love at first sight, striven for against all odds and at great yet unforeseen price. Heroic pursuit of values…hardly anti-Objectivist.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hKG_leBRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hKG_leBRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5hKG_leBRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

On the other hand Puccini was a Mussolini toady, and Madama Butterfly is just soooo anti-American!

Let me guess, you loved Avatar and want to score a point against one of its critics. I haven’t seen Avatar, can’t comment on Ed’s review, but will ask that you lay off Giacamo. Otherwise,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ridiculous. Turandot is a parable about giving into love and the fear of losing control in that love. The Ice Princess has seen what men can do and fears losing control. It's not until she sees Liu's values made real that she opens herself to love. This is a story about values. Liu values Calaf so much that she does not want to live if he is killed. Calaf loves the Ice Princess and only wants her if she truly loves him back.

Ridiculous. Turandot is a parable about giving into love and the fear of losing control in that love. The Ice Princess has seen what men can do and fears losing control. It's not until she sees Liu's values made real that she opens herself to love. This is a story about values. Liu values Calaf so much that she does not want to live if he is killed. Calaf loves the Ice Princess and only wants her if she truly loves him back.

Wrong. Turandot is Naturalism at its worst. Its message is that man lacks volition, and that he is a plaything of his libido -- that he is driven to sacrifice all that is truly valuable in the name of pursuing shallow, physical beauty. It's the story of a man who is willing to overlook the fact that the woman he is physically obsessed with is a torturer and murderess.

I mean, Jesus H. Christ, you guys would probably claim that it's "pro-Objectivist" and a "story of values" if you were to see an opera about an inmate from a concentration camp being so attracted to powerful men that she falls in love with Hitler after he orders his henchmen to kill her family right in front of her!

"Oh, she taught Hitler how to open himself up to love! She adores him and she's willing to watch him continue tossing millions of people, including more of her family members and friends, into the ovens just as long as he understands what it means to be willing to be tossed into an oven for someone else! What a beautiful story!"

What the hell is wrong with you people?!!!

J

Edited by Jonathan

Wrong. Turandot is Naturalism at its worst. Its message is that man lacks volition, and that he is a plaything of his libido -- that he is driven to sacrifice all that is truly valuable in the name of pursuing shallow, physical beauty. It's the story of a man who is willing to overlook the fact that the woman he is physically obsessed with is a torturer and murderess.

Naturalism? Eh? It's set in legendary China, how can it be naturalism? It’s very much a fairy tale. Lacks volition? You may as well say that about Howard Roark, he’s obsessed with Dominique and will risk jail to bed her. As for "shallow, physical beauty", first, every production I’ve ever seen had a hot Liu and a Turandot the size of a house, second, consider that by winning her he gets restored to his former station in life (he’s an exiled prince, presumably living hand to mouth). Hence my claim that Turandot has a thematic message about class. Calaf can’t take Liu, the societal barrier is too great, and she knows it too.

Beyond that, note that it's supposed to be exotic and shocking, like the attitude towards the value of life you’ll find in Clavell’s Shogun. Puccini liked to evoke the flavor of foreign locales, Japan, China, the american west. Your Hitler analogy is way over the top, reserve that for when someone praises Dr. Atomic. And who said Turandot was “Pro-Objectivist”? “Hardly anti-Objectivist” ≠ “Pro-Objectivist”. Romantic realism it's not.

What the hell is wrong with you people?!!!

Seriously, I thought you were kidding and was just busting your chops earlier. Now I’m inclined to toss your closer back atcha.

Edited by Ninth Doctor

Naturalism? Eh? It's set in legendary China, how can it be naturalism? It’s very much a fairy tale.

The essence of Rand's concept of Naturalism is that it represents a deterministic view of existence. A story can be a "fairy tale" and set in "legendary China" and still present a deterministic view of existence. The idea is not where the story is set, but what the characters do. Do they choose to pursue their values, or are they driven by forces outside of their control? Calàf is driven by forces outside of his control.

Lacks volition? You may as well say that about Howard Roark, he’s obsessed with Dominique and will risk jail to bed her.

That doesn't change the fact that Calàf is not in charge of his life. He's not volitionally in control of himself. He's a plaything of his libido.

As for "shallow, physical beauty", first, every production I’ve ever seen had a hot Liu and a Turandot the size of a house...

Well, if you think that full-figured ladies are unattractive, you're supposed to suspend your disbelief and imagine that Calàf is dazzled by Turandot's beauty. Opera typically runs into visual problems because it often casts based purely on the voices needed to sing the parts, and appearance takes a back seat. But that doesn't change the fact that Turandot is supposed to be attractive. Regardless of what you think of the physical appearance of the actress, Calàf thinks that the character she is playing is smokin' hot. It's not about your tastes, but Calàf's.

...second, consider that by winning her he gets restored to his former station in life (he’s an exiled prince, presumably living hand to mouth).

That's incidental and not relevant to the character's motive, which is nothing more than his being deterministically led around by his dick.

Hence my claim that Turandot has a thematic message about class. Calaf can’t take Liu, the societal barrier is too great, and she knows it too.

If it were a story about characters who make volitional choices, then societal barriers wouldn't matter. They'd choose to pursue their highest values regardless of the impediments that others put in front of them.

Beyond that, note that it's supposed to be exotic and shocking, like the attitude towards the value of life you’ll find in Clavell’s Shogun. Puccini liked to evoke the flavor of foreign locales, Japan, China, the american west.

Again, the setting is not relevant. What's relevant is whether or not the main characters are choosing versus being led by forces outside of their control.

Btw, check out the "critical response" section on the Turandot Wikipedia page. I'm not the only one who thinks that the attraction between the main characters is a shallow issue of libido:

"Nothing in the text of the final duet suggests that Calaf's love for Turandot amounts to anything more than a physical obsession: nor can the ingenuities of Simoni and Adami's text for 'Del primo pianto' convince us that the Princess's submission is any less hormonal."

Your Hitler analogy is way over the top, reserve that for when someone praises Dr. Atomic. And who said Turandot was “Pro-Objectivist”? “Hardly anti-Objectivist” ≠ “Pro-Objectivist”. Romantic realism it's not.

Seriously, I thought you were kidding and was just busting your chops earlier. Now I’m inclined to toss your closer back atcha.

I'm just borrowing the common Objectivist method of aesthetic condemnation.

J

Erhm, uhh, being unable even in lurker mode to avoid scanning new-content titles makes me want to interject, countering the thread drift (and Nessun dorma is absofuckin'lutely brilliant, by the way, one tenor or three {g}) ...

Ed Hudgins did not end up, in fact, appearing on the 28 January "Stossel" show, which was devoted to giving gut-checks to the totalitarians of the burgeoning "Food Police."

Presumably the "Road to Serfdom" installment — is it focused at all on The Road to Serfdom by Hayek, one wonders? — is, like the show that was three-fifths about Atlas, being held on tape for future use.

Erhm, uhh, being unable even in lurker mode to avoid scanning new-content titles makes me want to interject, countering the thread drift (and Nessun dorma is absofuckin'lutely brilliant, by the way, one tenor or three {g}) ...

Ed Hudgins did not end up, in fact, appearing on the 28 January "Stossel" show, which was devoted to giving gut-checks to the totalitarians of the burgeoning "Food Police."

Presumably the "Road to Serfdom" installment — is it focused at all on The Road to Serfdom by Hayek, one wonders? — is, like the show that was three-fifths about Atlas, being held on tape for future use.

Greybird; Thanks! I to watched and did not see Ed. May Stossell will have him on another or the food police people Stossell found more interesting. I suspect the "food police" lady will have to explain that see came out for getting rid of Medicaid and Medicare on the program.

P.S. After recording the show Talia and I saw "Turandot" at the Met with sets, etc. by Franco Zeffirelli. It rocked!!!

Ed, Good for you. Glad it was Zeffirelli and not this horrible new guy.

ALERT - They recorded two Stossel Shows yesterday and will broadcast the one with me NEXT THURSDAY, Feb. 11.

I discuss government over-regulation and Going Galt.

Also our friend Thor Halvorssen will be on the show discussing his new short movie.

Ed; Won't next Thursday be Feb 4th?

alert - They recorded two Stossel Shows yesterday and will broadcast the one with me NEXT THURSDAY, Feb. 11.

Also our friend Thor Halvorssen will be on the show discussing his new short movie.

YES - FEB 4th!

(My brain isn't on schedules right now! wink.gif

alert - They recorded two Stossel Shows yesterday and will broadcast the one with me NEXT THURSDAY, Feb. 11.

YES - FEB 4th!

(My brain isn't on schedules right now! wink.gif

Ed; Big events in one's life can do that.
Edited by Chris Grieb