Mile's Davis "Chili Recipe"

Over43

The following comes from the now defunct "Best Life Magazine". Enjoy. By the way, it shouldn't be Mile's, typo.

(http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/nutrition/The_Literate_Gourmet_Collection_10Miles-Davis.php)

Miles Davis's South Side Chicago Chili Mack

¼ lb. suet (beef fat)

1 large onion

1 lb. ground beef

½ lb. ground veal

½ lb. ground pork

salt and pepper

2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. chili powder

1 tsp. cumin seed

2 cans kidney beans, drained

1 can beef consommé

1 drop red wine vinegar

3 lb. spaghetti

parmesan cheese

oyster crackers

Heineken beer

1 Melt suet in large heavy pot until liquid fat is about an inch high. Remove solid pieces of suet from pot and discard.

2 In same pot, sauté onion.

3 Combine meats in bowl; season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cumin.

4 In another bowl, season kidney beans with salt and pepper.

5 Add meat to onions; sauté until brown.

6 Add kidney beans, consommé, and vinegar; simmer for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

7 Add more seasonings to taste, if desired.

8 Cook spaghetti according to package directions, and then divide among six plates.

9 Spoon meat mixture over each plate of spaghetti.

10 Top with Parmesan and serve oyster crackers on the side.

11 Open a Heineken.

Serves 6

Edited by Over43

Looks a little bland, but I believe good chili has to include fresh Anaheim peppers. Get rid of the seeds, boil a few minutes, and remove the outer skin (by hand or with a sieve). Reduce the amount of chili powder proportionally, its best to have some of both in the recipe. Each pepper equals about ½ tsp of chili powder I think. I always do it to taste so I’m not sure.

Miles’s recipe sounds a bit like Cincinnati style, I might just try it sometime. But parmesan on chili?

"If you know beans about chili, you know chili ain't got no beans."icon_hungry.gif

Spaghetti in chili? WTF? :)

I know, as an Italian, it is what I felt when I would watch the Jewish kids put ketchup on the spaghetti in Junior High School! lipsrsealed2.gifpukebig.gif

Adan

prefers brown rice

Spaghetti in chili? WTF? :)

I know, as an Italian, it is what I felt when I would watch the Jewish kids put ketchup on the spaghetti in Junior High School! lipsrsealed2.gifpukebig.gif

Adan

prefers brown rice

Cincinnati Chili is served with spaghetti, it’s a great regional dish, don’t knock it ‘till you’ve tried it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili

Cincinnati Chili is served with spaghetti, it's a great regional dish, don't knock it 'till you've tried it.

http://en.wikipedia....incinnati_chili

According to the Greater Cincinnati Convention and Visitors Bureau, Cincinnatians consume more than two million pounds of chili each year, topped by 850,000 pounds of shredded cheddar cheese

Well, that explains all those coronary bypass operations in Ohio. :)

A South Side tribute to the same dish, by one of the better doo-wop groups of the era:

united193brc.jpg

Robert Campbell

Can't get the video to show up on this thread, so here's a link:

Still half an hour to dinner...

ND,

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video, which has a good-quality soundtrack.

I thought "red hots" were hot dogs, though.

Which would mean another food item needs to be included in the video.

Robert Campbell

They show red peppers instead of hot dogs, beats me. But the lyric says “red hot French fries”, not “Red Hots, French fries”…and Chili Mac! Sometimes comma placement is critical. William F. Buckley wrote a historical novel, which I haven’t read and can’t remember the name of, where the plot turned on the date of the execution of Beria, the Soviet KGB or secret police guy from the 50’s. Buckley was called out for having his facts wrong, and it turned out he relied on a report that read “Beria, aides executed”, when it should have said “Beria aides executed”.

I tried a chili dog once in Chicago, it was forgettable. A great place to get a proper Chicago dog (dragged through the garden) is at the food court on the bottom level of Marshall Field’s (now Macy’s). Great fried fish platter there too, it’s a perfect inexpensive lunch stop in Chicago.

They show red peppers instead of hot dogs, beats me. But the lyric says "red hot French fries", not "Red Hots, French fries"…and Chili Mac! Sometimes comma placement is critical. William F. Buckley wrote a historical novel, which I haven't read and can't remember the name of, where the plot turned on the date of the execution of Beria, the Soviet KGB or secret police guy from the 50's. Buckley was called out for having his facts wrong, and it turned out he relied on a report that read "Beria, aides executed", when it should have said "Beria aides executed".

I tried a chili dog once in Chicago, it was forgettable. A great place to get a proper Chicago dog (dragged through the garden) is at the food court on the bottom level of Marshall Field's (now Macy's). Great fried fish platter there too, it's a perfect inexpensive lunch stop in Chicago.

These are the Red Hots we had as kids..dayaam they were good!

http://www.ferrarapan.com/html/rh_history.html

This is actually quite an excellent dish. I would suggest, before you type your WTF's or think it is "bland" give it a try. And yes, it is a variation of Cincinnati Chili. The first time I had this dish was 20+ years ago in Chicago and my first thought was, "Chili on spaghetti?" I prefer angel hair.