For all writers

Barbara Branden

Interesting quote - as an artist, too, will have to say do not know of such a thing as 'artist block', as it has always seemed, like Saint Saens, ideas and themes come to me like 'picking apples off a tree'... is it perhaps because I see the act of creating as pertaining to themes and not 'journalistic illustratings'? and that this ought to apply to all the other arenas of Art equally?

Interesting quote - as an artist, too, will have to say do not know of such a thing as 'artist block', as it has always seemed, like Saint Saens, ideas and themes come to me like 'picking apples off a tree'... is it perhaps because I see the act of creating as pertaining to themes and not 'journalistic illustratings'? and that this ought to apply to all the other arenas of Art equally?

Composers can have creative blockages. Famous examples--Wagner, who found himself unable to continue composing Siegfried, turned to Tristan und Isolde and then Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg, and only then was able to pick up where he left off with Siegfried.

Mahler--needed about two years to find the right ideas for the concluding movement of his Second Symphony ("Resurrection")--inspiration come from an ode sung or recited at a memorial service for Hans von Bulow (the guy from whom Wagner stole Cosima); later on, was unable to start on his Seventh Symphony for most of one summer until he was inspired by the rhythm of the oars he heard as he was being rowed across a lake in the Dolomites.

A composer who seems to have suffered few if any such creative blockages was Mozart.

Jeffrey S.