George Reisman & ARI

emb021

All-

Am sorry if this is not the right forum for this question. Am sure the moderators will move it if so (and not delete is).

In reading various items on-line, I read some items at the website of Per-Olof Samuelsson (Swedish translator of Rand's work) about his being 'shutdown' by Peikoff after daring to ask why George Reisman (and Edith Parker) were kicked out of ARI for who knows what. his site is here: http://www.nattvakt.com/onlineenglish/tjsconflict.htm

I've looked at Reisman's site, the Jefferson School: http://www.capitalism.net/ and I've looked else where, but I can't see anything on-line that explains what happened. I have seen that sadly, the OOs (and ARI) have a bad habit of kicking people out they decided they don't like (Kelley, etc etc). I've yet to see any reason for any of these, and am so a little curious as to the reason for Reisman & Parker's 'dismissal'.

Michael,

On OL's Link Listing, if you scroll down, you will come to a section called "A Community Divided (Schisms & Criticisms)." You can find a link there to Olof Samuelsson's articles and the one by Chris Wolf given below.

A series of online documents was originally published several years ago by a guy named Chris Wolf dealing with the Reisman-ARI schism called FAQ - What's REALLY Wrong With Objectivism?. It's an interesting read.

To be fair, this has been discussed in other places and there are other perspectives. I don't have the time to look them up right now, but I will get back to this. But you might be able to find a couple more at the Objectivism Reference Center in the section called Criticisms of Objectivists. I like that site a lot.

Michael

Michael,

On OL's Link Listing, if you scroll down, you will come to a section called "A Community Divided (Schisms & Criticisms)." You can find a link there to Olof Samuelsson's articles and the one by Chris Wolf given below.

A series of online documents was originally published several years ago by a guy named Chris Wolf dealing with the Reisman-ARI schism called FAQ - What's REALLY Wrong With Objectivism?. It's an interesting read.

To be fair, this has been discussed in other places and there are other perspectives. I don't have the time to look them up right now, but I will get back to this. But you might be able to find a couple more at the Objectivism Reference Center in the section called Criticisms of Objectivists. I like that site a lot.

Michael

Thanks. I didn't know it was covered at other places. Pointing me to the right place is good enough. I found Chris Wolf's site answers my questions. I've read thru a lot of the ORC site, but hadn't seen this particular 'tiff' covered (or linked I guess).

Edited by Michael Brown

I had not looked the documents in the Reisman- ARI break-up until the last few days. I think there is a proving of my thesis that Reisman and Kelley had become too important and had to be cut down. I also think they show Michael Kelly's comments about calling people evil are very true. I must also add that my memories of George & Edith make them less than the most benovelant people who ever lived.

In the ARI book "The Abolition of Antitrust" edited by Gary Hull, there is chapter called The False Profits of Antitrust by Richard Salsman which has the following sentence"The latest Austrian effort,by a student of Mises, farthur sabotages sound profit theory by insisting that profit is determined by the personal consumption of capitalists". The footnote for this reference is to George Reisman's book Capitailism which does not have a page reference for the above view. George Reisman is now described as a student of Von Mises and of course there is no reference to his associatiion with Ayn Rand and Objectivism.

In the ARI book "The Abolition of Antitrust" edited by Gary Hull, there is chapter called The False Profits of Antitrust by Richard Salsman which has the following sentence"The latest Austrian effort,by a student of Mises, farthur sabotages sound profit theory by insisting that profit is determined by the personal consumption of capitalists". The footnote for this reference is to George Reisman's book Capitailism which does not have a page reference for the above view. George Reisman is now described as a student of Von Mises and of course there is no reference to his associatiion with Ayn Rand and Objectivism.

I have read Reisman's Capitalism: A Treatise on Economics, and have no idea what Salsman is talking about. In fact, he clearly states that profits are determined by the level of capitalization in an industry and the supply and demand of its products. There are passages where he talks about the consumer spending of rich capitalists, but it is to show how inconsequential it is relative to their capital investment.

Reisman has a couple commentaries online right now that say that present high profits are the result of environmental regulation, which limits access to natural resources and discourages capital investment.

ChrisG and SaulO,

I haven't been following this trend, as I'm not an economist, but my understanding is that Salsman is trying to pry Objectivism apart from Austrian economics. He has written a series of articles criticizing various Austrian thinkers (not just Reisman).

Whether any of this would be going on at ARI if George Reisman were still in good odor there is of course another question.

Robert