Newberry Gallery

1549 11th Street, #100

Santa Monica, California 90401

www.NewberryGallery.com

mn@NewberryGallery.com

310 913 8986

Landscape with a Modern Edge

Contemporary Artists Rethinking the Landscape

Opening reception for the artists: Saturday, October 17, 7 to 10 p.m.

Santa Monica, CA, September 14, 2009 - Landscape with a Modern Edge, at the Newberry Gallery, is an exhibition by contemporary artists rethinking the landscape. Curator and gallery owner Michael Newberry comments that "fresh color harmonies, modern subject matter, and inventive compositions are the themes guiding the selection for this show." The exhibition will be held October 17 - November 21, 2009.

Sometimes the perception of representational artworks is considered old-fashioned, but this exhibition will show that when artists express their unique visions they bring a freshness inventiveness to the genre. Watercolors, paintings, photos, and pastels will be displayed by the following seven artists of national and international repute:

Melissa Hefferlin

Robin Purcell

William Wray

Daud Akhriev

Michael Newberry

David Scherrer

Cathey Cadieux

The Newberry Gallery opened in June, 2009 to show the works of its founder Michael Newberry and the works of his favorite living artists. Newberry has extensive knowledge about the creative process, art techniques, and aesthetics; he has lectured, written, taught and exhibited in California, New York, Illinois, Holland, and Greece. He regularly shares his knowledge through tutorials, and writes commentary on my blog

For more information, email Michael Newberry at mn@NewberryGallery.com, or call 310 913 8986

-END-

Edited by Newberry

Here are a few of the artists' paintings in the upcoming exhibition, Landscape with a Modern Edge at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica, October 17.

frombedroom.jpg

Cadieux, Winter Sunset From My Bedroom, oil on canvas 30 x 40 inches

park.jpg

Robin Purcell, Bartholomew Park, 2009, watercolor on arches, 12 x 16 inches

101ocean.jpg

Newberry, 101 Ocean Avenue, 2009, pastel on black paper, 19 x 26 inches

Wtiresale.jpg

William Wray, Tire Sale, 2009, oil on canvas, 12 x 16 inches

Here are a few of the artists' paintings in the upcoming exhibition, Landscape with a Modern Edge at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica, October 17.

frombedroom.jpg

park.jpg

101ocean.jpg

Wtiresale.jpg

Bill Wray's works are always rather interesting... and Robin is one of the few who's watercolors sparkle to me...

Edited by anonrobt

Robert what do you find interesting in William Wray's works?

For a time, he used to post over in the landscape forum of WetCanvas, and enjoyed the dramatic displays of industrial landscape - there are, it seems, few who do cityscapes on anything of a regular basis... am not as such a fan of his coarse style, but his plays of composition in settings that otherwise would be so-so are noteworthy to me - and, important to me, his general sense of acceptance and even optimism of the industrial life, dirty and grimy it generally is...

For a time, he used to post over in the landscape forum of WetCanvas, and enjoyed the dramatic displays of industrial landscape - there are, it seems, few who do cityscapes on anything of a regular basis... am not as such a fan of his coarse style, but his plays of composition in settings that otherwise would be so-so are noteworthy to me - and, important to me, his general sense of acceptance and even optimism of the industrial life, dirty and grimy it generally is...

Nice reply. Yes is compositions are very strong. What attracts me to his work is the sense of his color and light.

Michael

Nice reply. Yes is compositions are very strong. What attracts me to his work is the sense of his color and light.

Michael

To me, color and light are only means to ends, not ends in themselves - which is why, probably, some more famous works are of little interest to me, however the color and light are played...

Plotting Life's Light is a Wray review I wrote last year for The New Individualist, he reminds me of the Raymund Chandler of painting. Along with color and light, I discuss his portrayal of mood, symbolism, genre, movement, climax, and resolution. http://artistsvoice.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/william-wray-plotting-lifes-light-by-michael-newberry/

It brings me great joy to be showing showing his work and the other powerful and talented artists in Landscape with a Modern Edge October 17th in Santa Monica. I hope that those of you in area can make it to the show.

Crystal%20Cove%2040%20x42E.jpg

gas%20copy.jpg

This two works, Crystal Cove and Gas, are just two of the paintings in the review.

Edited by Newberry

What I am most excited about in this upcoming exhibition is that the artists have their unique "voice" in how they portray the landscape. An important goal in my work, aesthetics, and curating is the idea of moving representation art forward in one or several aspects. A unique voice is one of the aspects. Inventiveness in composition, subject matter, and color are some of the others. These artists are doing that in whole or part.

Here are links to the bios of the artists participating in Landscape with a Modern Edge, http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/landscape.html

Melissa Hefferlin

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/melissaH.htm

Robin Purcell

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/robinP.htm

William Wray

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/billW.htm

Daud Akhriev

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/daudA.htm

Michael Newberry

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/michaelN.htm

Cathey Cadieux

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/catheyC.htm

David Scherrer

http://newberrygallery.com/exhibit/landscape/davidS.htm

Lots of very nice paintings here, Michael. If I still lived in the area, I would -definitely- attend.

Thanks very much for showing them to us.

Edited by Philip Coates

Thanks Phil,

And if you were in the area you would be more than welcome.

-----

One of the elements in painting, drawing, and photography that I both look for and respond to emotionally is a well composed composition. Many of the works in the upcoming show, Landscape with a Modern Edge, have outstanding compositions. There are thousands of theories about composition, but I find one in particular to be most helpful in understanding a great composition. I have a tutorial on it, Composition in One Easy Lesson, in which I point out how artists as different as Van Gogh and Vermeer, Picasso and Velazquez solve compositional problems in a very similar way.

I bring this up for a lot of reasons: I like to show that these artists have a lot of skill, thought, and feeling in their compositions; the above standard is one of my criteria in curating the show, so that gives viewers one of the concepts guiding the show; and I simply love a great composition, makes me feel that almost everything is right in the world.

Michael

Michael

frombedroom.jpg

park.jpg

101ocean.jpg

Wtiresale.jpg

I like that Winter Sunset. You got the sky just right.

Ba'al Chatzaf

park.jpg

Robin Purcell has a unique style in which quilt-like patches of color overlap and flow across both the paper and the landscape. She varies the tone and hue of the colors, which encourages our eyes to move from one area to another; notice how this works with the four different patches of burnt orange (lower left to lower right of the image). More elaborately, she does the same thing with the variations of the greens, from the first three triangular shapes in the foreground to the many shapes changing in intensity as they recede back through the hills.

Purcell's style has hints of early 20th-century children's illustrated books, with the patchwork landscape of Southwest England, and Vermeer's abstract patches of light and shadow.

Michael Newberry

www.NewberryGallery.com

Edited by Newberry

Ba'al Chatzaf:

I like that Winter Sunset. You got the sky just right.

Ba'al, it is group show, the painting you like is Cathey Cadieux's.

Whoops! Well, someone got the sky right.

Ba'al Chatzaf

> She varies the tone and hue of the colors, which encourages our eyes to move from one area to another...shapes changing in intensity as they recede back through the hills.

I hadn't noticed this fully when I first looked at it, but your mentioning it increases my appreciation.

This two works, Crystal Cove and Gas, are just two of the paintings in the review.

Michael,

Two questions...

1. Does William Wray mention why his paintings are rough?

2. In his work, Crystal Cove, I see a lot of the painting moving right...from the slope of the mountain, cloudheads, rocks and water's edge. Is there significance to this?

~ Shane

Michael,

Two questions...

1. Does William Wray mention why his paintings are rough?

2. In his work, Crystal Cove, I see a lot of the painting moving right...from the slope of the mountain, cloudheads, rocks and water's edge. Is there significance to this?

~ Shane

Shane,

He didn't mention why his paintings are rough to me, but he didn't need to. But I do answer why his paintings are rough in my review: http://artistsvoice.wordpress.com/2009/09/24/william-wray-plotting-lifes-light-by-michael-newberry/

Regarding your second question, it's an excellent observation. You would have to ask William yourself, but my guess is that the significance would be something very subtle like that he enjoyed the rhythm of his brush strokes, or he was balancing the shape of the sky against the left thrust of hillside.

Phil,

Glad my observation encouraged you to look again. I will be writing up blurbs on all the artists this week.

Cheers,

Michael

201night.jpg

Michael Newberry, Lit Entrance, 2009, pastel on black paper, 19 x 26 inches

101night.jpg

Michael Newberry, Black Night, White Knight, pastel on black paper, 19 x 26 inches

I just signed these two off today. They are my first outdoor nocturnes. They will also be featured in Landscape with a Modern Edge, opening Oct. 17th at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica.

Edited by Newberry

harbor.JPG

Daud Akhriev, Harbor Noon, 2009, oil on archival board, 6 x 20 inches

Daud Akhriev has one of the quickest and most deft hands of any painter alive. He can embellish huge amounts of detail, yet never lose the overall architecture of the picture. For those not in the know, representational outdoor painting demands extremely quick paint application before the sun has an opportunity to move on, changing the lighting. Daud creates thousands of detailed forms, such as the clouds, buildings, docks, and colorful merchant stalls; all of which delicately encourage our eyes to move through the painting's depth.

Daud has been featured in Artists Magazine and has given courses at the Florence Academy of Art, in Florence, Italy.

Harbor Noon and another of his works will be featured in the group show, Landscape with a Modern Edge, October 17th at the Newberry Gallery in Santa Monica.

Michael Newberry

www.NewberryGallery.com