Greetings from Howell, Michigan

Gatsby

Hey everyone, my name's Valon Jakupi. I'm a 19 year old male who's come to this forum because Objectivism saved my life.

Not in the sense that Ayn Rand's herself hopped out of the grave and pushed me away from a speeding vehicle, but in the sense that my eventual thoughts on what it had to say about life eventually steered me away from running blindly into a career that'd make me miserable in life.

When I was reading The Fountainhead, I was sorry to say that I found myself relating to Peter Keating more than anyone. His story seemed to be mine. I could thrive in any kind of subject, but I only considered what my parents would consider respectable. There was a time when I considered being a film director, and my mother told me that she flat out would offer me no support. As I progressed through the book I become horrified with Peter's progression, because what happened to him seemed rather similar to what happened to me father. And then I looked around. I work in a local factory and because of that, work with some of the most improvised and miserable people you'll ever see. I realized that while life may not be as black and white as The Fountainhead paints it out to be at times, that Objectivism itself was right on the money when it comes to happiness in life. What do all the riches in the world matter when the work you do makes you miserable? How can some people go through life never feeling accomplished by the tasks they do? How can they listen to music that conveys no feeling or emotion? These are things that I'd rather find out in discussion than through personal experience, and that's why I'm here.

So now, I'm here. What am I doing now? I'm going to college to be a Game Designer, I feel that the medium has yet to reach it's potential as a true creative tour de force, and I want to have a part in helping it reach that potential.

Other things about me include the fact that I'm a pretty avid writer, I've been reading non-stop since I was little, have a deep love for film and music. I was raised a liberal Democrat, and still feel that the Democratic Party is rooted in less insanity than the current Fundamentalist Christian GOP, yet my views on most matters tend to lean conservative and I feel that I'd respect the party more if it had representation that followed Conservative values more closely than biblical ones.

But I'll keep the ranting short.

I'm looking forward to meeting and discussing with you folks, cheers.

Welcome to OL:

It seems that you are focused on many positive paths. I have always been interested in gaming, however you will have so much more technology to work with.

I have a dream game that involve holography and football that may be achievable somewhat soon.

I like the way you are beginning to realize and accept that you are the only person who can make rational choices for yourself. Imagine waking up at 40 and wondering why you are there, that to me would be a living death.

Is your name Albanian by any chance?

Adam

Good eye Adam, it is. I'm a first generation American, my parents were Albanians living in Macedonia before they migrated over.

Good eye Adam, it is. I'm a first generation American, my parents were Albanians living in Macedonia before they migrated over.

Thanks. Actually, I was hoping this was your older single sister and you could arrange a long and lustful affair! ;)B)

Leonora Jakupi 220px-Leonora_jakupi.jpg

Concert in Germany, February 2007. Background information Birth name Leonora Jakupi Born March 3, 1978 (1978-03-03) (age 31) Origin Kosovo (Yugoslavia at time of birth) Genre(s) Pop, Folk, Patriotic music Occupation(s) Singer, songwriter Years active 1996— Label(s) different Website N/A

Thanks. Actually, I was hoping this was your older single sister and you could arrange a long and lustful affair! ;)B)

Leonora Jakupi 220px-Leonora_jakupi.jpg

Concert in Germany, February 2007. Background information Birth name Leonora Jakupi Born March 3, 1978 (1978-03-03) (age 31) Origin Kosovo (Yugoslavia at time of birth) Genre(s) Pop, Folk, Patriotic music Occupation(s) Singer, songwriter Years active 1996— Label(s) different Website N/A

Sadly, Leonora and I aren't related nor acquainted, but if I ever do cross paths with her, I'll put in a good word for you. =P

Welcome! Enjoy OL! It's a fun place.

Thanks.

Valon,

Welcome aboard.

Game designing sounds like a lot of fun.

You must have heard of BioShock.

Michael

It will be pretty fun to work in a field I'm passionate about, but it's a lot of hard work too.

And I have heard of Bioshock. I played it before I even knew who Ayn Rand was, and it did spark my first initial interest in Objectivism. The game has an excellent atmosphere, soundtrack and story.

I've discussed it quite a bit as far as what the game has to say about Objectivism. I've heard varying interesting theories on it and have made quite a few of my own. Has there been much discussion concerning the game on these boards?