John Galt Medallion 2009 (Archived Thread)

JohnGaltMedallion.jpg

Ayn Rand’s Atlas Shrugged explained her monumental dedication to the value of man’s rational thinking and ability to reason. These concepts are symbolized in the John Galt LibreCoin from the American Open Currency Standard. These ideals are behind the mission of AOCS and explain the reason for this being one of the firm’s initial offerings when they began setting the industry standard in 2007.

Product Group: The LibreCoins

Condition: Uncirculated

Finish: Proof-like

Material: .999 Silver

Product Year: 2009

Product Size (mm): 39

Weight (troy ounces): 1

Weight (grams): 31.1

Order Now - Unit Price: $55.00

Note: Prices subject to change.

Edited by Randall

• 1 month later...

The price has dropped to $25.00 per coin. Check out The Culture of Reason Center Website. These make great gifts for birthdays and the upcoming holidays!

The spot quote for one troy ounce of silver today is $16.25

Is Pseudo-Objecti-kitsch really so marketable that it comes beyond only tooth-whitening cures as the number one internet sales scam?

Number one rule - the "real" one was on strike, so if it says "John Galt" don't buy it.

I'm sorry, I am somewhat confused. Would you like to repost your comments so that they can be understood?

Randall; "John Galt" is Ayn Rand's creation. Using her creation without the premission of her or her estate is called stealing.

Randall; I like you and the work you are doing but this particular idea is wrong.

The spot quote for one troy ounce of silver today is $16.60

Is Pseudo-Objecti-kitsch really so marketable that it comes behind only tooth-whitening cures as the number one internet sales scam?

Number one rule - the "real" one was on strike, so if it says "John Galt" don't buy it.

Randall; "John Galt" is Ayn Rand's creation. Using her creation without the premission of her or her estate is called stealing.

Randall; I like you and the work you are doing but this particular idea is wrong.

Thank you for raising this issue, I certainly am not interested in stealing!!!

As far as I am aware, the production of these medallions is legal. If it ought to be legal is another debate. I assume that if there is a problem, that Peikoff would take legal action against the manufactures (which is not me). I am aware that there have been efforts in the past to discourage the usage of names or elements from Ayn Rand novels.

There is a song: Working on the John Galt line

There are music groups: We The Living

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaPBg3oeIuM&feature=PlayList&p=42AF474F48A87B64&index=0

There are the John Glat Speaking videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_qQt9IrUc0

There is Fountainhead Montessori:

http://www.fountainheadmontessori.org/

Of course there have been attempts to discourage groups from using the name: Objectivist or Objectivist Society (I don't think I need to provide examples)

There was a music group that attempted to use the name: Atlas Shrugged, I think they decided to use a different name after legal action was taken by Peikoff.

And there is a whole website called: John Galt gifts! Which also sells the medallions that I am distributing.

http://www.johngaltgifts.com/

From my understanding, this is a good thing. When you see art changing and referencing Rand (especially in a positive light), this attracts so much attention to the movement. I hope that having a: Who is John Galt sign at a tea party or a Who is John Galt bumper sticker on the back of your car is not a misuse (stealing) of Ayn Rand's property. I may be wrong and I'm open to hearing what you have to say.

R

Edited by Randall

I am tempted to start a Phil Coates style quiz. Who can name five things wrong with this offering?

The coin says "fifty" - fifty what? Define your unit, please.

The coin claims money is the root of all good. That does not follow from the fact that the statement money is the root of all evil is false. Nor is the claim itself true.

As of today, silver is trading at $16.60. Why is there a 50% mark up per coin? Not to mention shipping and handling.

If there's any actual desire for faithfulness to the original, shouldn't the coins say Midas Mulligan?

What's with the bars over the yin-yang symbol. Looks like a counterfeiters attempt to pass something of for a dollar, without actually doing so. Why not offer a work of art with its own integrity, rather than cobbled together bits of other creations?

The bottom line is that the sale of this item is an insult to the intelligence of an Objectivist. It presumes that an Objectivist will be attracted by superficial forms, even when the arrangement of those forms amounts to a violation of Objectivist principles and themes. If there were an award for (pseudo-)Objectikitsch, this would be a winner.

Hi Ted,

Quite simply, there is a big difference between minting a medallion and trading raw silver. I'm not sure that the "dollars" in your pocket mean anything considering they are backed by nothing. From my understanding these silver products are used by barter associations. Aside from that, I think the medallions are beautiful. I have spoken with the designers, mentioning some of the same concerns that you posted and I am hoping to see an improved design soon. You are certainly free to mint your own designs, assuming you have the capital and the creative ability to do better. I would be very interested in seeing what you can come up with, since I am only a reseller at this time. I'm sorry this product does not interest you.

Thanks so much for your candid feedback,

Randall

Edited by Randall

Hi Ted,

Quite simply, there is a big difference between minting a medallion and trading raw silver. I'm not sure that the "dollars" in your pocket mean anything considering they are backed by nothing. From my understanding these silver products are used by barter associations. Aside from that, I think the medallions are beautiful. I have spoken with the designers, mentioning some of the same concerns that you posted and I am hoping to see an improved design soon. You are certainly free to mint you own designs, assuming you have the capital and the creative ability to do better. I would be very interested in seeing what you can come up with, since I am only a reseller at this time. I'm sorry this product does not interest you.

Thanks so much for your candid feedback,

Randall

There's a difference between, say, a commemorative medallion and a coin. If this actually were marketed as a medallion, rather than a coin, I might only have aesthetic objections. But this is marketed with a pseudo-dollar symbol and an "amount" of Fifty that belies its status as a mere medallion. I'd be much more attracted to, say, a woman with her head out the window of an on-rushing train. That would be worth the mark up.

• 2 weeks later...

I only caught this thread just now.

For the record, I think the medallion is a cool gift item.

I also see no theft issues. Only a handful of Randian terms have been trademarked. Actually, the only one I know of for certain is her pen name, "Ayn Rand."

Chris: It is common to use Galt as a boutique item image or name precisely to get around the legal issue when spreading the word. Think of the "Going Galt" thing. I, for one, have no problem with anyone making money while spreading the word. It seems so... er... capitalistic...

:)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

I only caught this thread just now.

For the record, I think the medallion is a cool gift item.

I also see no theft issues. Only a handful of Randian terms have been trademarked. Actually, the only one I know of for certain is her pen name, "Ayn Rand."

Chris: It is common to use Galt as a boutique item image or name precisely to get around the legal issue when spreading the word. Think of the "Going Galt" thing. I, for one, have no problem with anyone making money while spreading the word. It seems so... er... capitalistic...

:)

Michael

Sure it is so ... er... capitalistic. :D

Indeed it IS capitalistic and therefore perfectly in sync with what Objectivism (also) stands for: Capitalism.

Rand's own word on the subject: "When I say capitalism, I mean full, pure, uncontrolled, unregulated laissez-faire capitalism." (TVOS, p, 37)

Those coins are a capitalist business idea to get people who identify with a value to buy marketable items advertising the value - the principle is the same, whether it is soccer t-shirts bearing the inscription of one's favorite team, Spiderman school bags, a celebrated actress advertising for beauty products, or getting people interested in buying those John Galt coins.

I recall a poster (Selene, whose favorite AR character is the pirate Ragnar Danneskjöld) being quite pleased at seeing a website offering to buy Danneskjöld T-shirts with crossed daggers on them :)

So why should Objectivists hesitate to buy that coin bearing the inscription "MONEY: THE ROOT OF ALL GOOD?

Edited by Xray