Hello from England!

John Drake

Hello, All!

I'm a 42yr old from the east coast of Scotland, currently living in the north-east of England in a small country village near Newcastle. I discovered Ayn Rand while a Philosophy undergraduate at the University of Dundee; it was like having access to 'secret knowledge' so different were these ideas to the prevailing collectivist atmosphere of the faculty!

Since then, I've made my own, solitary way as an Objectivist in the UK - I'm gratified to discover this online 'community' and to enjoy some company of those with like minds. I'm looking forward to making some new friends and perhaps even to meet that longed-for, highest-valued partner...

Hello, All!

I'm a 42yr old from the east coast of Scotland, currently living in the north-east of England in a small country village near Newcastle. I discovered Ayn Rand while a Philosophy undergraduate at the University of Dundee; it was like having access to 'secret knowledge' so different were these ideas to the prevailing collectivist atmosphere of the faculty!

Since then, I've made my own, solitary way as an Objectivist in the UK - I'm gratified to discover this online 'community' and to enjoy some company of those with like minds. I'm looking forward to making some new friends and perhaps even to meet that longed-for, highest-valued partner...

Cheery-o

Ba'al Chatzaf

Dear John:

Good. Now I can say that I have written a "Dear John" letter.

Welcome. Hopefully, we will be bringing you coals of good conversations and support, you being a subterranean Randian in a collectivist island prison, but don't worry, my beloved country is attempting to become a real gulag.

We will endeavor to find the right match to bring you the coals.

England, South Africa, Germany [allegedly], the Thailand of Old., Canada, India, New Zealand ....we are a global forum lol

Adam

I love technology - I had no idea what you were talking about Brant lol!

UK expense scandal widens with duck hut disclosure

GREGORY KATZ - 5/23/2009 2:43:35 PMBookmark and Share

A lawmaker at the center of Britain's growing expense account scandal said Saturday he has been humiliated by public revelations about his attempt to get taxpayers to pay for a duck hut on his country estate.

Opposition Conservative Party legislator Peter Viggers' duck hut _ used to shield ducks from predators _ has become a potent symbol of expense account excess in recent days.

He tried in vain to bill taxpayers 1,645 pounds ($2,600) for the structure _ just one of many misdeeds in a scandal that has turned British voters against their elected representatives and led many chagrined lawmakers to say they will step down when their current terms are up.

"I have made a ridiculous and grave error of judgment," said Viggers, who has dropped plans to seek re-election. "I am ashamed and humiliated and I apologize. As has been reported, my claim for the duck house was rightly 'not allowed' by the Fees Office. I paid for it myself, and in fact it was never liked by the ducks and is now in storage."

Viggers, 71, was told by Conservative Party leader David Cameron not to seek another term after he was found to have sought reimbursement of 30,000 pounds ($47,660) for gardening expenses over three years.

New polls released Saturday indicated that an increasing number of Britons want a national election to be held this year, and there is a strong amount of interest in new candidates from smaller parties rather than the three major parties that have long dominated British politics.

Still, there are no indications that Prime Minister Gordon Brown, whose Labour Party is far behind in the polls, plans to risk an early vote. He is required by law to call an election by the middle of next year.

Prominent Labour Party figure Ian McCartney, a former party chairman, on Saturday joined the ranks of lawmakers indicating they will not seek re-election, although he said health problems were to blame.

McCartney made his surprise announcement several days after disclosing that he had paid back nearly 15,000 pounds ($23,800) of expense account claims for champagne flutes, wine glasses, sofas and other household items.

Some of the mystery surrounding how Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper got access to millions of receipts from parliamentary expense account folders was solved Friday night when a former special forces officer disclosed that he had served as the middleman for the information.

John Wick, now a private security consultant, said he provided the data because it was in the public interest for the truth about expense account abuse to come out.

"Parliament will be a better place, society will be a better place," he said.

Wick, a Conservative Party backer, did not say how he obtained the information or whether the newspaper had paid him for it.

Folks:

The question is why our American scum in the legislatures of the 50 states [or O'Biwan's 57] or the Federal Congressional scum do not also resign when their raping of each of us is exposed.

Second question is how many Muslim's would be running for the House of Commons?

Adam

Dear John:

Good. Now I can say that I have written a "Dear John" letter.

Welcome. Hopefully, we will be bringing you coals of good conversations and support, you being a subterranean Randian in a collectivist island prison, but don't worry, my beloved country is attempting to become a real gulag.

We will endeavor to find the right match to bring you the coals.

England, South Africa, Germany [allegedly], the Thailand of Old., Canada, India, New Zealand ....we are a global forum lol

Adam

It is Germany, Selene. :)

Hi John, welcome to this motley crew of posters from all continents!

The internet, enabling people from all over the world to so quickly exchange and debate ideas, is a revolution in communication I can't stop marveling about. I thoroughly enjoy that "global village" feeling.

Edited by Xray

Hello, All!

Mr. Drake,

Perhaps you have noticed my posts here. I am a happily married man who grew up in Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York, near the site where King George III troops fought our George Washington and drove him back across the East River to Manhattan. I have been individualistically oriented and a lover of the history of America and the ideas and events which led to its founding and the writing of its core documents. Naturally the struggle for freedom elsewhere in the world is also inspiring and the story of Braveheart comes to mind as Scotland sought its freedom from England as well.

Although you are a long way from us you might be amused to check out the 88 members of the Campaign For Liberty who live in the United Kingdom as it is listed at www.campaignforliberty.com then click on States and then Countries.

Admittedly these folks are probably not Objectivists but they are freedom lovers, who are for limited government, a Constitutional Republic, and are students of the Austrian school of economics, that is the works of Ludwig von Mises, F.A Hayek author of The Road To Serfdom, H. Hazlitt Economics In One Lesson, Murray Rothbard: The Great Depression and The Case Against the Fed, etc.

Possibly one or more of them live near you or within reach.

I would recommend Ayn Rand's works both her novels and her essays and the works of her favorite Romantic novelist Victor Hugo esp. Ninety Three which has a hero who is one of those in literature who inspired Ayn Rand as a girl to become a writer by giving her the vision of what is possible to man.

You will notice that the C4L is worldwide.

Incidentally in regard to communication there is a gadget called an Ojophone which enables you to see the person in real time with audio synchrony over broadband internet. www.ojophone.com and you will see it in action. I have one and use it to "visit" friends and family who live at a distance for just $9.95 per month unlimited calls.

A company called ACN is selling a video phone which will include the Ojo technology but will be charging $30 a month although the phone they sell costs $99 whereas the Ojo from Worldgate cost more like $200 but with the lower monthly fee.

www.campaignforliberty.com 29 May 11PM 154,977 members was only 6000 last August when I joined and on over 142 colleges.

Welcome to whatever this is! We supposedly have something in common!

gulch

Edited by galtgulch

Hello, All!

Mr. Drake,

Perhaps you have noticed my posts here. I am a happily married man who grew up in Flatbush section of Brooklyn, New York, near the site where King George III troops fought our George Washington and drove him back across the East River to Manhattan. I have been individualistically oriented and a lover of the history of America and the ideas and events which led to its founding and the writing of its core documents. Naturally the struggle for freedom elsewhere in the world is also inspiring and the story of Braveheart comes to mind as Scotland sought its freedom from England as well.

Although you are a long way from us you might be amused to check out the 88 members of the Campaign For Liberty who live in the United Kingdom as it is listed at www.campaignforliberty.com then click on States and then Countries.

Admittedly these folks are probably not Objectivists but they are freedom lovers, who are for limited government, a Constitutional Republic, and are students of the Austrian school of economics, that is the works of Ludwig von Mises, F.A Hayek author of The Road To Serfdom, H. Hazlitt Economics In One Lesson, Murray Rothbard: The Great Depression and The Case Against the Fed, etc.

I would recommend Ayn Rand's works both her novels and her essays and the works of her favorite Romantic novelist Victor Hugo esp. Ninety Three which has a hero who is one of those in literature who inspired Ayn Rand as a girl to become a writer by giving her the vision of what is possible to man.

Incidentally in regard to communication there is a gadget called an Ojophone which enables you to see the person in real time with audio synchrony over broadband internet. www.ojophone.com and you will see it in action. I have one and use it to "visit" friends and family who live at a distance for just $9.95 per month unlimited calls.

A company called ACN is selling a video phone which will include the Ojo technology but will be charging $30 a month although the phone they sell costs $99 whereas the Ojo from Worldgate cost more like $200 but with the lower monthly fee.

www.campaignforliberty.com 29 May 11PM 154,977 members was only 6000 last August when I joined and on over 142 colleges.

gulch

There are also 132,751 Jehovah's Witnesses all within the United Kingdom. They are very friendly and they too share many of our ideals.

Hello, All!

Mr. Drake,

gulch

There are also 132,751 Jehovah's Witnesses all within the United Kingdom. They are very friendly and they too share many of our ideals.

Just curious: what are the shared ideals?

Edited by Xray