New Rational Literature Discussion Group

SherryTX

I just started a new group on FaceBook, in order to manager a new lit discussion group I am starting in Plano TX:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=69565594095

Here is what I posted:

"Rational Literature Discussion Group

This book discussion group is designed to discuss works of various authors writing about (or influenced by) Ayn Rand or her philosophy Objectivism. This can include a complete book (fiction or non-fiction), or short stories, essays or articles found in compilations.

The only requirements for participating are:

1. The willingness to read the material selected, and be able to participate in discussions in a respectful manner. Of course, a sense of humor is always helpful in any group, and welcomed.

2. Purchase something from the coffee shop or restaurant that we will be meeting in so we are not taking up space for free. The point is twofold: to not take up space without compensating the business for it; and also so that we are welcomed back each week.

3. At this time, it is requested children be left at home. However, if you have an older child that wishes to participate with you and has read the material, and is able to participate in meaningful discussions, please contact me to discuss your child joining us.

Goals:

1. To share ideas, comments, even constructive criticism on what we read with others.

2. Socialize and have fun!

Location, Time, etc:

The goal is to meet every other Sunday afternoon, or at least two Sunday's a month in the Plano area. The exact location and time will be determined in the coming 2 weeks, as I find a good location depending on the number of people interested.

Works to explore together:

The first book I would like to select is Andrew Bernstein's Objectivism in One Lesson.

While a short book, it does a good job giving an overview of Objectivism, and I think would be a great start to the group.

The book is an easy read for those new to Objectivism, and I think has enough depth to satisfy those that are already familiar with the philosophy.

A sample of some others books/writing I would like to consider for the future are:

Ayn Rand Three Plays (Night of January 16th, Ideal & Think Twice)

The Early Ayn Rand: A Selection from Her Unpublished Fiction

Tara Smith's Ayn Rand's Normative Ethics

The Girl Who Owned A City

Of course, there are many more to consider, and I am open to suggestions after we finish Bernstein's book."

We probably will add rational poetry to the mix, as well as the occasional movie review in between books.

My motive is this: The current groups I belong to are wonderful - however, I want something geared specifically to literature, and not necessarily just Ayn Rand's work.

I also wanted something in my neck of the woods, since I do a lot of driving to go to various events. Plus, I want something in place so that as my kids get older they can join us. Fortunately, they all love to read, and have discussions about what they read. Lastly, while I enjoy all my Objectivist friends, sometimes there are pretty reasonable and Objectivist friendly folks out there that share my love of reading, but may feel that they are not compatible with the other groups I attend.

I was curious as to any thoughts, suggestions, etc. people here may have - and if any of you have done this before, and how were you successful?

Edited: to make the font easier to read.

Edited by SherryTX

I wish you good fortune in your endeavor.

I urge you to be very specific about expectations with the group. What exactly should they read for the next meeting? (Sounds silly and trivially obvious, but the "let's all read as far as we can and we'll talk when we get together Sunday afternoon" method has actually been tried by seemingly intelligent people...)

Will you have a leader who comes to the meeting with some discussion questions? This will be very helpful. They can also work to make certain all are included and get a chance to speak . . . few people who don't get to speak will continue to come back unless you have a VERY charismatic leader.

Also . . . have someone (not the leader) with the role of getting everyone's name and contact information (email and phone numbers) . . . and keeping that list up to date. If folks are comfortable with it, circulate that informaiton to the entire list. It's best to get emails so it is easy to notify EVERYONE about any changes in schedule, etc... Or if you want to send a few teaser questions out a day before the next meeting to stimulate members to attend.

Keep us posted on your group's progress!

Bill P

Can you please use a normal font? This hurts my eyes...

I changed it - hopefully that is less annoying. Sorry, I have been having a hard time reading some things online lately, so figured I would make it bit bigger, and didn't think it would be hard to read. Thanks for pointing that out.

I urge you to be very specific about expectations with the group. What exactly should they read for the next meeting? (Sounds silly and trivially obvious, but the "let's all read as far as we can and we'll talk when we get together Sunday afternoon" method has actually been tried by seemingly intelligent people...)

Will you have a leader who comes to the meeting with some discussion questions? This will be very helpful. They can also work to make certain all are included and get a chance to speak . . . few people who don't get to speak will continue to come back unless you have a VERY charismatic leader.

Also . . . have someone (not the leader) with the role of getting everyone's name and contact information (email and phone numbers) . . . and keeping that list up to date. If folks are comfortable with it, circulate that informaiton to the entire list. It's best to get emails so it is easy to notify EVERYONE about any changes in schedule, etc... Or if you want to send a few teaser questions out a day before the next meeting to stimulate members to attend.

Bill P

Bill, thanks for your comments.

Yes - I agree - things need to be kept on track. I am working on writing up some questions for Bernstein's book, and will share it with others.

I also have the same concern - to make sure everyone has a chance to participate. At the CRC, for example, Donovan is very good about gently making sure those of us that talk a lot, give others a chance. My group will no likely be smaller, but this is a very important point to keep in mind.

Most of the people I think that will come I already have all their contact info, but good point, I will ask someone to help me with that part.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself charismatic, but am working on it. =)

Bill P

Bill, thanks for your comments.

Yes - I agree - things need to be kept on track. I am working on writing up some questions for Bernstein's book, and will share it with others.

I also have the same concern - to make sure everyone has a chance to participate. At the CRC, for example, Donovan is very good about gently making sure those of us that talk a lot, give others a chance. My group will no likely be smaller, but this is a very important point to keep in mind.

Most of the people I think that will come I already have all their contact info, but good point, I will ask someone to help me with that part.

I wouldn't go so far as to call myself charismatic, but am working on it. =)

Keep us posted on your progress with the discussion group - - - and on the work on being charismatic. Do watch out, however . . . that word is often interpreted quite differently in the Dallas area...

Bill P (smiling)

Keep us posted on your progress with the discussion group - - - and on the work on being charismatic. Do watch out, however . . . that word is often interpreted quite differently in the Dallas area...

Bill P (smiling)

HAHA. =)

Sherry, what is rational literature?

Barbara

Barbara,

That's a good question. Our goal is to cover literature based on rational thought, with a rational philosophy backing or influencing it, such as Objectivism.

This is how we came up with the name for the group (actually credit has to go to my husband, he suggested it, I had no good ideas). I will admit I am sure there will be some works that maybe will have some irrational elements, (sometimes you don't know until you read it, and I doubt I will read everything before we get to it). but I am okay with that because I am looking forward to exploring books, essays, etc., with others.

Maybe the name seems a bit ambitious, but I felt confident using it because the people that I already know that said they will come are pretty reasonable folks, and I would like to attract new people that are interested in reading works that may fall under this category.

Chris - thanks for the suggestions on Erika Holzer's and Kay Nolte Smith's novels. I had forgotten about Erika Holzer - I read about her a long time ago on Atlasphere, and I have heard of Smith - but I haven't read either of their books as of yet.

If anyone happens to come to the Dallas/Plano area, let me know - we would love to have you for a visit!