Yaron Brook on Glenn Beck today 5 pm est

Selene

Dr. Yaron Brook, executive director of the Ayn Rand Center for

Individual Rights, is scheduled to appear on the "Glenn Beck

Program" on Fox News today, Tuesday, February 17, 2009, at 2

p.m., Pacific time. Dr. Brook will discuss the growth of the

government's power and its crushing effects on the U.S. economy.

I moved this to the ARI Corner. Having it in the David Kelley Corner was a bit ironic. :)

I have been unable to find the video yet. As soon as I can, I will post it (or whoever finds it, please do so).

Michael

Thanks. We don't get Fox News Channel in Shanghai.

Bill P

It's funny, I did not get a chance to see it until now.

I thought he did a competent job, just wish he did not look like Joseph Mengele!

I thought the statement that "...unfortunately all the productive people are sticking around today." was a subconscious whine or some real movement towards a strike.

I think most folks know that I am in favor of a strike and have been for years.

We just saw today the nationalization of the private housing stock in this country.

We just saw today the nationalization of the banking system.

Does anyone seriously believe this is where in ends? We are 29 days into his first term.

http://obamaclock.org/

Adam

Thank you Michael for posting the info.

Yaron's message will be seen by many. I will post the url of the Beck-Yaron interview wherever I can.

Some may wake up. That's a good thing!

I favor, among many other things, doing a George Patton blitz on the internet with more articles, plus more audio & video pertaining to individual/ property rights/ capitalism. Posting on sites such as Yahoo, My Space, You Tube, reaches millions. Great ideas deserve great marketing. And all the time.

Edited by Las Vegas

Well, better than having no comment about Rand's relevance for the current economic crisis on TV, I guess......

but Beck seemed to be on a coffee jag or something, and kept excitedly interrupting what Yaron Brook was saying, apparently using him simply to expound further on his own partly correct, but confused views. I know its Beck's show, but it would have been much more instructive if he had allowed his guest to expand on his own views.

Beck calls himself a "libertarian," but after listening to him for awhile, it is clear that his knowledge of libertarianism (and especially Objectivism), is rather superficial. His views are much closer to the christian conservative perspective, with a strong "AA-in recovery" undertone. However, he is one hell of a lot better than Olbermann and his ilk.

By the way, Beck mentioned that he publishes a magazine, Fusion, which he says currently has an article by Brook on Ayn Rand.

Fusion is "the merging of entertainment and enlightenment."

Glenn is the type of gatekeeper that we need to employ.

It's ok to have impure messengers, hell I sure am one.

Adam

Beck's very religious. But he's also very laissez-faire. He actually mentions Ayn Rand a lot. People can't be what we want them to be. They are what they are. Glenn Beck is on the side of freedom. He has a public voice. He's desperately needed.

Ginny

Glenn converted to Mormonism. He is a recovering alcoholic and drug addict. He grew up in the Seattle area working in his father's one man bakery. I believe there was suicide in his family early.

I have listened to him for going on 5 yrs and have listened to him grow into libertarianism and Ayn Rand.

He is a good man.

Adam

Edited by Selene

I agree, Adam. You know what's interesting, though? Peikoff allegedly "broke" with Kelly because Kelley had the immoral nerve to appear at a Libertarian gathering. (I was at that meeting) Yet here's Yaron Brook appearing on a show hosted by a Christian. Exactly how consistent and honest are we being here, folks?

Ginny

I agree, Adam. You know what's interesting, though? Peikoff allegedly "broke" with Kelly because Kelley had the immoral nerve to appear at a Libertarian gathering. (I was at that meeting) Yet here's Yaron Brook appearing on a show hosted by a Christian. Exactly how consistent and honest are we being here, folks?

Ginny

Consistent - no, but a number of years of passed. This is not the only such incident in recent times, others of which have been noted in OL also. Clearly, there is a very modest "opening up."

Bill P

I may not agree with Beck on metaphysics, but I stand by his right to practice whatever religion he sees fit. I have no doubt he grants me the same right.

With respect to his defense of capitalism, I will stand by him, firmly, even with him practicing his religion and with other people I don't like standing on his other side.

Michael

I may not agree with Beck on metaphysics, but I stand by his right to practice whatever religion he sees fit. I have no doubt he grants me the same right.

With respect to his defense of capitalism, I will stand by him, firmly, even with him practicing his religion and with other people I don't like standing on his other side.

Michael

I agree with your position, Michael. And, the evidence is that Beck would grant you the same right to practice/not practice - based on his concrete specific statements on his radio program.

Bill P

I just watched the program and I thought Yaron did a good job. I liked his tyeing the issue to the ethics of altruism.

Ginny; I think Peikoff was looking for some reason to purge David Kelley and even if he had not spoke before the supper club Kelley would have done something. Kelley was too popular.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I just watched the program and I thought Yaron did a good job. I liked his tyeing the issue to the ethics of altruism.

Ginny; I think Peikoff was looking for some reason to purge David Kelley and even if he had not spoke before the supper club Kelley would have done something. Kelley was too popular.

Well put. I think that most purges in the Objectivist movement (and other movements for that matter) are about personalities and other such issues far more than the reported content/doctrine issues.

E.g. Rand - Branden, Peikoff/Schwartz - Kelley, Peikoff/Schwartz/Binswanger - Ridpath/Packer, etc..

Bill P

Well put. I think that most purges in the Objectivist movement (and other movements for that matter) are about personalities and other such issues far more than the reported content/doctrine issues.

E.g. Rand - Branden, Peikoff/Schwartz - Kelley, Peikoff/Schwartz/Binswanger - Ridpath/Packer, etc..

Bill P

I know it's about personalities. It's so high school. These are people who make themselves out to be so superior. They feel free to judge everyone. Yet at the root of it, it boils down to jealousy and pettiness. (approximate quote from We The Living: "The enemy isn't big and strong, but small and smutty and many")

Sorry. It just gets me mad.

Ginny

I understand the Kelley-Peikoff split to be partially based on Barbara's bio of Rand and Kelley's refusal to bash her (and Robert Bidinotto's glowing review of Passion). See:

Selective timeline and links of the Kelley-Peikoff schism

I think the idea of Ayn Rand banging Nathaniel Branden drove Peikoff bonkers when he couldn't deny it anymore and couldn't deny that she kept him out of the loop.

Michael