Somehow always means somebody!

Donovan A.

I am looking for a quote by Nathaniel Branden "Somehow always means somebody," which I know is located in The Basic Principles of Objectivism Course. Can anyone help me find the quote? It might also be located in his book: Who is Ayn Rand?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I will offer an interesting comparison if I can get a hold of this quote.

Thanks so much,

DA

Edited by Donovan A.

I am looking for a quote by Nathaniel Branden "Somehow always means somebody," which I know is located in The Basic Principles of Objectivism Course. Can anyone help me find the quote? It might also be located in his book: Who is Ayn Rand?

Any assistance would be appreciated. I will offer an interesting comparison if I can get a hold of this quote.

Thanks so much,

DA

Donovan, the quote is from Lecture 9 and appears in a passage where NB is discussing the virtue of rationality. Here is the paragraph it appears in:

One of the magic words in the arsenal of the irrationalists is that word “somehow,” which always means: “somebody.” “Somehow” always means: “somebody.” When a person permits himself irrational desires, with no concern for how they’re to be gotten, and answers when queried, “Oh, somehow,” he means: “somebody.” Somebody will provide it.

I look forward to seeing the comparison you have in mind.

Best,

REB

I thought this would be related, but it does not seem so. Regardless it's interesting to compare these two quotes:

Objectivism is a restrictive philosophy. It holds that the irrationalities of today’s culture should not be aided. However, this fact does not require Objectivist thinkers to communicate only with those already in basic agreement. Ayn Rand, after all, SOMEHOW managed to convey her ideas to many millions without having to violate her principle of not sanctioning evil.

*Somehow: Emphasis added by me.

- On Moral Sanctions - By Peter Schwartz

One of the magic words in the arsenal of the irrationalists is that word “somehow,” which always means: “somebody.” “Somehow” always means: “somebody.” When a person permits himself irrational desires, with no concern for how they’re to be gotten, and answers when queried, “Oh, somehow,” he means: “somebody.” Somebody will provide it.

- Nathaniel Branden - The Basic Principles of Objectivism: Lecture 10 Part 2: Track 1 at 19:05

• 2 months later...

To Roger's and Donovan's transcription,

and to David's,

I also recall in the same lecture or in 'Who is Ayn Rand' [Nathaniel Branden] liked to say that nobody plays the helpless game on a desert island.

I recall another reference to the same line, this time an attribution from Ayn Rand on the issue of responsibility:

In dropping the responsibility for one's own interests and life, one drops the responsibility of ever having to consider the interests and lives of others--of those others who are, somehow, to provide the satisfaction of one's desires.

Whoever allows a "somehow" into his view of the means by which his desires are to be achieved, is guilty of that "metaphysical humility" which, psychologically, is the premise of a parasite. As Nathaniel Branden pointed out in a lecture, "somehow" always means "somebody."

In the context of Rand's article, I have always taken the Branden quotation to its enthymematic conclusion: The means to any "how" about my goals, is I.

NB's old work that everyone seems to be running through lately still stands. However, if you read through him historically, there are many times, I dare say, where he enhanced or flat-out changed his stance, or at least how he phrased things. This, I know, because I've read everything I could get my hands on, and, for a minute, I got to do some work with him.

I'm not sure if you can take a "course" to learn how to do that stuff. Reading is good, though.

Look at his more current work, if you wish. I recommend "The Art of Living Consciously;" that one was, at least to my mind, a real barn-burner of a book, he was peaking. That book, that one is really laying down living.

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

Thanks so much,

DA

Here's a citation:

"As Nathaniel Branden pointed out in a lecture, 'somehow' always means 'somebody.'"

Location: The Objectivist Newsletter: Vol. 1 No. 8 August, 1962

Check Your Premises: The "Conflicts" of Men's Interests

By Ayn Rand

Enjoy,

Bill P