Proposed Branden book missing in action.

On the occasion of George H. Smith's birthday, it brought to my mind an interview in Reason magazine (I do not recall the exact date, but it was in the early 1970s) of Nathaniel Branden, in which he briefly made mention of a new book that he was writing on atheism and its psychological and societal effects. I do not recall its proposed title, other than it was provocative. The book had a scheduled publication date, because it was listed in an issue of the quarterly, Forthcoming Books in Print (which most libraries and bookstores subscribed to).

Subsequently, there was an announcement that he had discontinued that project to pursue the writing of other books on psychological issues.

I seem to recall Dr. Branden later adding a statement (possibly in Academic Associates News or on one of his monthly Seminar recordings issued around that time) to the effect that George H. Smith was working on a simlar book on atheism. That book, of course, was published as Atheism: The Case Against God, originally by Nash Publishing in 1974. (Curiously, the subsequent re-issue of that same book in 1979, by Prometheus Books, makes no reference to the earlier Nash edition.)

As readers of Smith's excellant work know, he utilizes arguments made by both Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden in several keys areas of the book, and correctly attributes their contributions. In many ways, I think that Smith's work is more comprehensive and gives more tightly-reasoned arguments than those recently made by Hitchens, Harris, Dawkins, and Dennett. Unfortunately, Smith's book did not cause the tidal waves of reaction from believers and non-believers who have subsequently issued multiple volumes attacking or defending these "New Atheists."

Still, it would have been interesting to have seen what Branden would have added to the discussion if his own book had reached fruition.

Jerry, I sent a copy of your post to Nathaniel, with the suggestion that he consider writing on the subject.

Barbara

Barbara,

Thank you!