Finally registered...

Jared Alberghini

Jared:

Welcome, really sharp forum. I suffer from procrastination also.

Adam

Hello,

I've been browsing the forum for a few months now, and I finally registered today. (I don't know what took me so long to do so)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

- Jared

Jared. Please tell us about subjects that especially interest you.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Hello,

I've been browsing the forum for a few months now, and I finally registered today. (I don't know what took me so long to do so)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

- Jared

Welcome to the group, Jared. Introduce yourself, tell us a little about what brings you here.

Bill P

I already said hello to Jared.

I hope we don't have an equivalent of HUAC here at OL. Somebody who asks: Are you now or have you ever been Victor Pross?

HUAC is the House UN-American Activities Committee.

GS,

I don't think we have to worry about that too much, yet. I don't want to use a heavy hand unless needed. My thing is to avoid a new hacker attack or plagiarism defilement, or even pollution of the forum by large quantities of nonsensical posts. My thing is not power.

Frankly, I consider forum patrol to be more traffic-cop stuff than power anyway, and I find the duty distasteful and time-wasting when harsh measures are needed. The best way I have found so far is to use a surgical heavy hand, not across-the-board limitations. So, for now, I prefer checking a poster's malice on a case-by-case basis.

Also, I refuse to extend a warm courtesy and welcome to those who refuse to tell me who they are and try to hide behind proxies and brand new gmail or yahoo email accounts. I used to be different, but too many imbeciles have necessitated a change in my attitude. So I have no problem at all with offending an anonymous person like that, especially when he/she shows up out of nowhere crapping on Objectivists or some other target.

And if such a person cuts up too much, there's always the Garbage Pile and moderation.

Now as to Jared...

Hmmmmm...

:)

Michael

Jared:

Then you were also probably dropped on your head like the rest of us.

Are you a student, in business or independently wealthy?

Adam

Welcome to the group, Jared. Introduce yourself, tell us a little about what brings you here.

Bill P

Thanks Bill,

Gravity is what brings me here. Apparently, I am attracted to like-minded individuals.

- Jared

In the '60s someone would chime in about now and say "heavy."

Bill P

Jared:

Then you were also probably dropped on your head like the rest of us.

Are you a student, in business or independently wealthy?

Adam

Adam, I can only remember the third time I was dropped as an infant, the bow sure did break quite often. Everything after that third hit on the head has sure been a blur.

I am a combination of all three questions you asked, yes, I will always be a student (my martial arts Sensei taught me that), I love learning (both of my parents are educators, and they taught me how to learn). I have owned & operated my own software/web development business since '97, and yes, I consider myself independently wealthy (I don't mean in the traditional monetary sense, but more so, I am wealthy with the family/friends relationships I have). The software apps I have developed pay the bills, but I am much more wealthy in many ways other than my bank account.

Over the past couple of years I took a much needed break from my 'online' world and have learned many traits everything from roofing, carpentry, farming, snowmaking, welding, and everything in-between that true hard-working Vermonter's need to do.

In short, I am a 'thinker/philosopher' trapped in a 'mathematician's/programmer's' body.

- Jared

Edit: If you want to get to know me, here's a video I made of last year's snowmaking season (my favorite 'job' so far) :

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3764471528686630443

Edited by Jared Alberghini

Bill P

Thanks Bill,

Gravity is what brings me here. Apparently, I am attracted to like-minded individuals.

- Jared

When you find out you've made a horrible mistake it'll be TOO LATE!!!

Heh, heh, heh.

--Brant

Jared:

Just watched about 5 minutes of the 30+ and I am impressed. It reminds me of the Delaware River in January near Hancock NY half of my life was growing up with farmers, hunters, business people. The gentleman who ran the general store and one of my early mentors was a "striker" before Atlas was published.

He quit being the Principal of a Scranton HS because the State was becoming too intrusive. Then he opened a general store, ice cream parlor gasoline and sundries like chocolate covered ants and us ten year olds would sit and talk with the old timers sitting and whitling around the pot belly stove and dispensing wisdom.

Adam

I think people fill certain "gaps", but that human as magnet paradigm sucks in my opinion.

Adam