Hello there!

James

Hi I'm James, I'm 22 years old and I'm from the United Kingdom. I am a student of Objectivism and I've been reading Rand's work on and off for a couple of years but I've only recently started a systematic study of Objectivism. I have read all of Rand's major fiction and I'm currently working my way through her non-fiction starting with VoS.

The reason I joined this forum is primarily to find out more about the philosophy, and also because up until now I've been predominantly exposed to 'orthodox' Oism and I want to find out a bit more about 'the dark side' as it were! :D I have a whole lot of reading to do before I take sides in the big schism though. In terms of practical help in my life I've benefited equally from Branden's "the Art of Living Consciously" and Peikoff's podcast among other things.

Anyway, I look forward to learning and contributing. :)

James:

I attended NBI back in the 60's and left when I saw aspects of the internals of the movement going down a path that I chose and choose not to walk.

There is no reason to "take sides" and would recommend remaining neutral as to the past internecine intra-philosophical wars with personality issues as a base.

This is a good group of folks here with a sense of humor and an ability to vigorously defend their positions.

I think you will find it both enlightening, instructive and just plain fun.

Welcome aboard.

Out of curiosity are you pursuing a profession or a student in the UK?

Adam

Hi I'm James, I'm 22 years old and I'm from the United Kingdom. I am a student of Objectivism and I've been reading Rand's work on and off for a couple of years but I've only recently started a systematic study of Objectivism. I have read all of Rand's major fiction and I'm currently working my way through her non-fiction starting with VoS.

The reason I joined this forum is primarily to find out more about the philosophy, and also because up until now I've been predominantly exposed to 'orthodox' Oism and I want to find out a bit more about 'the dark side' as it were! :D I have a whole lot of reading to do before I take sides in the big schism though. In terms of practical help in my life I've benefited equally from Branden's "the Art of Living Consciously" and Peikoff's podcast among other things.

Anyway, I look forward to learning and contributing. :)

James -

Welcome to OL! If you're just starting with the nonfiction books, then I definitely advise . . . . don't worry about the different factions for now. Read Rand, work to understand. Read critically - question

everything.

Engage in the discussions. You'll find the group here pretty collegial.

Bill P

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

There is no reason to "take sides" and would recommend remaining neutral as to the past internecine intra-philosophical wars with personality issues as a base.

That sounds sensible!

Welcome to OL! If you're just starting with the nonfiction books, then I definitely advise . . . . don't worry about the different factions for now. Read Rand, work to understand. Read critically - question

everything.

That's good advice although I feel quite unsettled by the whole thing nonetheless. When I was reading the FH and AS everything was sunshine and lollipops so when I heard about all that bitterness and hatred I couldn't help but think WTF?

Tell us about your life in the UK when you get a chance.
Out of curiosity are you pursuing a profession or a student in the UK?

I was a student before reading Objectivism but I dropped out due to a combination of unfavourable circumstances and just plain bad personal philosophy. I'm going to try and resume my education in the new year. I've always loved writing and comedy, and I'm a big fan of Ricky Gervais's 'The Office' and 'Extras' among many others so it's my ambition to create something similar. Gervais puts the art back into the genre and I like to compare his 'Extras' to the Fountainhead because the main character chooses the path that Roark refused (with hilarious consequences!).

Anyway, at the moment I'm saving my pennies for my education. I'm actually in a very interesting position for an Objectivist because I took a temporary job with the government since statism is back in vogue these days! (Sorry Ayn! I'll say a hundred 'hail Dagnys' as penance). It has been interesting to say the least and apart from reclaiming tax money I'm getting a lot of material for my future career!

James:

I went into NY City government when I was 25 years old as an objectivist/Randian/original libertarian (not the abortion that it has become) and I was frankly both stunned and totally not surprised at the total institutionalized incompetence and lack of rewarding ability in the civil service system.

Unfortunately, they gave me power and I just applied capitalist principles and Randian morality to my government office and lo and behold we had the most efficient office with extremely happy workers that delivered real change and control to the communities of NY City.

So use this as a learning experience and I really like your thought about reclaiming some of the tax monies stolen from you.

Adam