Basic Principles of Objectivist Psychology by Nathaniel Branden

Donovan A.

Does anyone have a copy or know where I can purchase the lecture series: Basic Principles of Objectivist Psychology by Nathaniel Branden. It was given at NBI.

I don't believe these lectures were ever for sale. Much of the material found its way into Branden's articles in The Objectivist Newsletter and The Objectivist and from there into The Psychology of Self-Esteem.

I have his course on romantic love. Nathaniel stopped calling his work "Objectivist Psychology" when he moved to California in favor of "Bio-Centric Psychology," which he then dropped for just "psychology." There was a radical shift in his psycho-therapeutic work while his theoretical writings basically stayed the same albeit less abstract and strident. Call his office.

--Brant

I have his course on romantic love. Nathaniel stopped calling his work "Objectivist Psychology" when he moved to California in favor of "Bio-Centric Psychology," which he then dropped for just "psychology." There was a radical shift in his psycho-therapeutic work while his theoretical writings basically stayed the same albeit less abstract and strident. Call his office.

--Brant

As previously stated in this thread, much of the material from the lecture series on Objectivist Psychology, appeared in print as articles in The Objectivist Newsletter, and later, The Objectivist.

Having attended the original Basic Principles of Objectivist Psychology at NBI, upon reading the subsequent publication of The Psychology of Self-Esteem, I remember noting that its content was practically identical to the NBI taped course. In fact, the original NBI course description brochure (which I still possess) has lecture headings and descriptions of content that match closely with the chapter titles (and sub-titles) of the book.

This is not to say that the the book is a 100% word-for-word transcription of the course. However, I think it is fair to say that practically all of the book, with a few refinements, is essentially the same as the original NBI course.

So as far as we know, this course in its original form was not recorded, and if it was, it is no longer available, i.e. lost. :(

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how this course might compare to the course Branden gave at NBI?

http://www.nathanielbranden.com/catalog/pr...;products_id=85

Unfortunately, the link to purchase the item does not work!

If you're looking into works by Nathaniel Branden, here's a free interview with him online discussing "Taking Responsibility."

http://libertariantv.com/libertarian_alter...anden/index.asp

Does anyone know how this course might compare to the course Branden gave at NBI?

O.K. As I said in my previous post (#5) above, in this thread, the taped course (which was recorded and presented in numerous cities by NBI in the sixties), was practically identical in content to the later released book, The Psychology of Self-Esteem. The book's Table of Contents matches quite closely the subjects and sequence of the original lectures in that course.

The book is an edited transcript of the course and therefore would not be identical, word for word, with the original lectures. However it is very close in content, theory, and point of view to the original course. One notable change is that Dr. Branden refers to his psychological theory as Biocentric Psychology, rather than Objectivist Psychology. He explains the reason for this change in the book's Introduction (page ix, in the hardcover edition).

By the way, the eleven tapes referred to in the link from Dr. Branden's site are still available from AudioForum.com. The original title of that set was "New Lectures on the Psychology of Self-Esteem," from a taped presentation given in California in the early nineteen-seventies, and after the publication of The Psychology of Self-Esteem. But this course was NOT the same as the original "Basic Principles of Objectivist Psychology" given through NBI. Consequently, there are changes, reconsiderations, and modifications to material presented earlier. These changes do not represent a major change in his theoretical base, but in its applications in psychotherapy,and they can be seen in his later published works (particularly, "Honoring The Self: Personal Integrity and the Heroic Potentials of Human Nature"(Los Angeles, Jeremy Tarcher, hardcover edition,1984).

By the way, the eleven tapes referred to in the link from Dr. Branden's site are still available from AudioForum.com. The original title of that set was "New Lectures on the Psychology of Self-Esteem," from a taped presentation given in California in the early nineteen-seventies, and after the publication of The Psychology of Self-Esteem. But this course was NOT the same as the original "Basic Principles of Objectivist Psychology" given through NBI. Consequently, there are changes, reconsiderations, and modifications to material presented earlier. These changes do not represent a major change in his theoretical base, but in its applications in psychotherapy,and they can be seen in his later published works (particularly, "Honoring The Self: Personal Integrity and the Heroic Potentials of Human Nature"(Los Angeles, Jeremy Tarcher, hardcover edition,1984).

Nathaniel gave these lectures in NYC. I took them. Barbara Branden was there also. They were given in the New Yorker hotel, just down the street from the Empire State bldg. It was a frequent place for Objectivist lectures and courses after the closing of NBI. The play "Penthouse Legend" was also presented in 1973 in one of the auditoriums, all on the top floors.

--Brant