Hello from Julia

Indignant

I am originally from Russia, currently residing in Los Angeles. I had no idea that someone like Ayn ever existed and found it to be a great pleasure to find someone who thinks / thought like me.

I am originally from Russia, currently residing in Los Angeles. I had no idea that someone like Ayn ever existed and found it to be a great pleasure to find someone who thinks / thought like me.

Ochien Xorosho!

How did you find out about Rand? Her fiction or Non-fiction? What especially do you like? And how do you like the weather in LA compared to your hometown? :)

Julia,

I wonder what your life in Russia was like and what led you to come to America. How long have you been here and are you planning to become a citizen? You are under no obligation to answer these questions. All four of my grandparents came to America in the 1890s from Riga but I don't know if they had lived in Latvia for generations or whether they were just passing through, because they all were dead when I was born so I will never know. I often have been grateful to them for their courage in coming here. My mother was one of eleven children. One of my grandfathers worked as a laborer building the N.Y city subway in lower Manhattan.

Welcome and enjoy reading Ayn Rand's works.

Wm aka galtgulch

Ochien Xorosho!

How did you find out about Rand? Her fiction or Non-fiction? What especially do you like? And how do you like the weather in LA compared to your hometown? :)

none of the above actually, I watched the movie with Helen Mirren (since I love her acting skills i'd watch anything with her), and fell in love with Ayn. Haven't read any books yet, they are on my Christmas gift list that my sister is arranging for me.

Julia,

A very warm welcome to you.

I hope you find value here. I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Ayn Rand is a very fascinating woman to study—on many levels. This has been one of the pleasures of my life.

Michael

Hi Michael,

I am not sure if'd be of any value, I am not very educated, but before I registered on this website I have read many of your threads and found them to be very educational.

Julia,

I wonder what your life in Russia was like and what led you to come to America. How long have you been here and are you planning to become a citizen? You are under no obligation to answer these questions. All four of my grandparents came to America in the 1890s from Riga but I don't know if they had lived in Latvia for generations or whether they were just passing through, because they all were dead when I was born so I will never know. I often have been grateful to them for their courage in coming here. My mother was one of eleven children. One of my grandfathers worked as a laborer building the N.Y city subway in lower Manhattan.

Welcome and enjoy reading Ayn Rand's works.

Wm aka galtgulch

hee hee, i feel like i am being interrogated. I only have great memories of Russia, it has been really good to me. It has engraved a different way of thinking and values into me that I don't find many people have nowadays. I have huge appreciation of Russian literature and still read on a daily basis. I left the USSR when i was 12 and for that reason i didn't get to see it fall apart. I am a citizen. Been to Riga many times, great city, beautiful people. Keep em coming :P

Welcome Julia! This is a fun site.

It certainly is different.

Da, konyeshnah. You will find that Americans have a lighter sense of life than Russians. We are not burdened down with tragedy and pain. Russia suffers. She always has suffered and most likely, she always will. Maybe it is the climate. Six time zones and most of it in a range of latitude higher than the U.S.- Canadian border. Having four fair months a year can press down on the spirit.

Russians are survivors and children of grief. Americans give a good imitation of fat, dumb, happy folk, but if attacked they can (and have) gotten very tough very fast. We are generous, light hearted, short sighted and silly, but we are very bad to have as an enemy. Maybe one in twenty Americakanskis have deep thoughts. Americans produce comedy. Russians produce dark and grim works of literature. And the music matches, too.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Welcome Julia! This is a fun site.

It certainly is different.

Da, konyeshnah. You will find that Americans have a lighter sense of life than Russians. We are not burdened down with tragedy and pain. Russia suffers. She always has suffered and most likely, she always will. Maybe it is the climate. Six time zones and most of it in a range of latitude higher than the U.S.- Canadian border. Having four fair months a year can press down on the spirit.

Russians are survivors and children of grief. Americans give a good imitation of fat, dumb, happy folk, but if attacked they can (and have) gotten very tough very fast. We are generous, light hearted, short sighted and silly, but we are very bad to have as an enemy. Maybe one in twenty Americakanskis have deep thoughts. Americans produce comedy. Russians produce dark and grim works of literature. And the music matches, too.

Ba'al Chatzaf

As much as I like tragedy and pain, I like to experience it personally without inflicting it on anyone else though. My partners/friends have always found me a light hearted fun person, even though I love dark and grim art/music/literature.

As much as I like tragedy and pain, I like to experience it personally without inflicting it on anyone else though. My partners/friends have always found me a light hearted fun person, even though I love dark and grim art/music/literature.

Here is a Russia joke from the late and unlamented days of communism. The minister of agriculture is visiting a hamlet out in Nowhere and an old woman comes to him. She says: Comrade Minister, I am an old woman and I have no goats. My neighbor has two goats. Oh Comrade Minister! Could you find it in your heart to do me a favor? Could you kill my neighbor's goats?

Ba'al Chatzaf

Here is a Russia joke from the late and unlamented days of communism. The minister of agriculture is visiting a hamlet out in Nowhere and an old woman comes to him. She says: Comrade Minister, I am an old woman and I have no goats. My neighbor has two goats. Oh Comrade Minister! Could you find it in your heart to do me a favor? Could you kill my neighbor's goats?

Funny in Russian?

--Brant

none of the above actually, I watched the movie with Helen Mirren (since I love her acting skills i'd watch anything with her), and fell in love with Ayn. Haven't read any books yet, they are on my Christmas gift list that my sister is arranging for me.

Julie,

You mean you fell in love with Ayn Rand, not from her works, but from watching the movie version of The Passion of Ayn Rand by Barbara Branden?!!

Heh.

I love it!

You have no idea how much this will grate on the nerves of some prudish uptight control freaks and Rand worshipers/Branden haters in the subculture.

You just made my day.

:)

Michael

Julie,

You mean you fell in love with Ayn Rand, not from her works, but from watching the movie version of The Passion of Ayn Rand by Barbara Branden?!!

Heh.

I love it!

You have no idea how much this will grate on the nerves of some prudish uptight control freaks and Rand worshipers/Branden haters in the subculture.

You just made my day.

:)

Michael

Ha, I knew someone was gonna get irritated by my statement. By no means I would care about anyone else's opinion though. This movie has introduced me to a woman that I grew to respect because of her idealism, to this forum and to many wonderful and intelligent people here.

Ochien Xorosho!

Welcome to OL!

And many thanks for illustrating still again that Passion of Ayn Rand (both the book and the movie) are in fact extremely favorable portraits of Rand - in spite of some of the protectors of the flame would loudly shout.

In some ways, the protectors of the flame remind me a little of some characters in Anthem...

Bill P (Alfonso)

Julia, I add my welcome to the others. I'm delighted that you discovered Ayn Rand through the movie of my book. I've heard that from many people, and it is a source of great pleasure to me.

I agree with you about Helen Mirren. She's a superb actress, and, you'll he glad to know, a charming, fine, and highly intelligent woman.

Barbara

I have to add my agreement with Barbara about Helen Mirren.

Let me add you are a great addition to OL.

Mirren was perfect for the part. Her parents were Russian and she speaks Russian as a native since it was her crib language. k

Ba'al Chatzaf

I have to add my agreement with Barbara about Helen Mirren.

Let me add you are a great addition to OL.

Mirren was perfect for the part. Her parents were Russian and she speaks Russian as a native since it was her crib language. k

Ba'al Chatzaf

Ayn, Helen and I are all Russian immigrants. I wonder if that is my main attraction to them. Would I have liked them less if they were of different country?

Hi and welcome from an off-and-on poster to this list. I actually enjoy this list quite a bit, but get busy sometimes.

Darrell

Hi and welcome from an off-and-on poster to this list. I actually enjoy this list quite a bit, but get busy sometimes.

Darrell

Thank you Darrell! It's completely understandable that many people don't make it to this forum as often as we'd like, since most of us are adults and are busy with our regular lives.