Would You Please Write for Radicals for Happiness?

kiaer.ts

Radicals for Happiness began as my website devoted to happiness - with articles on the nature of happiness, on ethics and aesthetics, with sketches of the major eudaimonic and humanist schools (which includes Epicureanism, Stoicism, Spinoza, Rand, and others) as well as hosting a large section of essays and reviews by various thinkers. The site went defunct after I graduated Rutgers and lost my free hosting privileges, and had to work (:o) for a living. I will eventually get it back up on line in full form. But untill then I have to, must, and love to write, and share things of joy with other people.

My goal is not to be highbrow or lowbrow but simply to share and provide a forum for sharing. The essence of friendship is shared joy. When I meet an old friend, I don't say "Long time no see." I ask rather, "Read any good books lately?" My best friends come prepared with a list, and often we exchange gifts. It is a custom among hobbits to give gifts on one's birthday - and it is most certainly true that it is better to give than to receive. Is there something you would like to give? Is there some joy you would like to share? Would you like to be a friend?

If you would like to contribute to Radicals for Happiness, all you need to do is write five sentences or more (well, maybe not even five) about some book, event, painting, performance, movie, person, song, discovery, or anything at all which has brought you joy. Joy, for those who are not sure how to define it, is the emotional acknowledgement of value. Have you ever valued something? If so, you can contribute to Radicals for Happiness. You don't even have to wear a Che Guevara T-Shirt to join this movement! I will do the dirty work for you.

You do not have to know how to write computer code to contribute to Radicals for Happiness. I will do all the code editing for you, as well as add images, research and add links, and even just do copy-editing of your writing if you want it. I am not looking for professional writers. I am looking for passionate valuers. If you have ever liked something enough to tell someone about it, then you can contribute!

If you are interested, there are three things you need to do. First, love something enough to have an idea about it or a wish to spread the word. If you know what the word favorite means, then you have already accomplished this step. Second, (and this is the hard part) you have to establish either a blogspot accoiunt or - easier - just have or get a gmail email address. You don't even have to use that address - you just have to establish it so that you can register and post on line. Finally, you have to email me (through Objectivist Living or personally) to let me know you are interested in posting, and I will send you an invitation. (I will even set up a gmail account for you if that's helpful.) That's it. No heavy lifting, nou hypodermic needles, no spell check necessary.

So how about it? have you filled out you profile here at Objectivist Living? If so, did you list anything as a "favorite"? Even if you haven't, you still probably qualify to contribute to Radicals for Happiness. All it takes is the ability to smile.

Send me an email, and let's get started.

Let me chime in that I fully support Ted's venture—and he did not even communicate with me about this.

Too many people in the Objectivist subculture are devoted to hatred and ugliness and it is a personal joy to see a venture devoted to happiness.

Ted,

I have some commercial advice for you if you are interested. Your venture should not just make joy, it should make money. I can point you in a few very good directions, since I have waded through an ocean of hype to find the good stuff. All free, too.

Michael