College or Not?

Hello, one and all. I'm a new member to this board. I am not a Objectivist, although I do see the movement as a sister who ultimately have many of the same goals I do. So I am asking what I see as the greatest minds of this movement a question.

I am a 23 year old white male. I have been a worker in basically manual labor jobs at the moment since high school, but my dream is to change my course by starting a career in radio. My question is do you think I should attempt to get there through college, or through apprenticeships through local radio stations, and "make my way up the ladder".

One thing that I must say though, is I once did go to a local community college after graduating high school which I hated. I dropped out then, because quite honestly I had no interest in college. Since that day I have been following the Eric Hoffer model, and I like to sell myself as a self educated man. So ultimately I wonder what you people believe would be the right course or action?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, one and all. I'm a new member to this board. I am not a Objectivist, although I do see the movement as a sister who ultimately have many of the same goals I do. So I am asking what I see as the greatest minds of this movement a question.

I am a 23 year old white male. I have been a worker in basically manual labor jobs at the moment since high school, but my dream is to change my course by starting a career in radio. My question is do you think I should attempt to get there through college, or through apprenticeships through local radio stations, and "make my way up the ladder".

One thing that I must say though, is I once did go to a local community college after graduating high school which I hated. I dropped out then, because quite honestly I had no interest in college. Since that day I have been following the Eric Hoffer model, and I like to sell myself as a self educated man. So ultimately I wonder what you people believe would be the right course or action?

I knew a guy with a g.e.d. who got intern positions with Howard Stern and with WSOU, a famous college station for Heavy metal out of Seton Hall, a Jesuit school in South Orange NJ. I would not suggest going to college simply to get into radio. But working at a college radio station is not a bad thing - if you really want the degree. I would suggest hanging out at a staion you like. My friend got his shot at WSOU after recording some station announcements. It helps, of course, to have a great voice. Smoking a pipe may help with that.