TOC 2006 Summer Seminar

Kat

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Judith,

Ahem...

Lacking the capacity to be Objectivists, they lack the capacity not to be Objectivists. "You can safely love them wholeheartedly and without reservation."

I think I'll stop there...

:)

Michael

(*LAUGH!!!!*) Point taken! Can you imagine a postmodernist critter? A horse with existentialist angst? A dog agonizing over Kantian problems? A cat unable to be happy because of World Hunger? The possibilities for humorous cartoons here are endless....

Judith

Well Judith,

Ahem...

Lacking the capacity to be Objectivists, they lack the capacity not to be Objectivists. "You can safely love them wholeheartedly and without reservation."

I think I'll stop there...

:)

Michael

Yeah. I love killer whales myself.

--Brant

Judith -- I took your remarks to be a bit of shtick -- most amusing! I have four brothers, a sister, four nieces, two nephews, a great nephew and a brand new great niece, pictured above. So I've had more than a few babies in my arms and thus a lot of practice! And I'll try to teach little 'Bella how to be a charmer, though I think she'll figure that out on her own!

Barbara, your observations are an excellent example of a matter you treated in your effective communications series: seeing the full meaning of a situation. Your description of what a thoughtful person might think while holding a newborn baby in their arms is right on the mark and a good example of the art of living consciously. Italian philosopher Benedetto Croce said, "Eternity is in the moment, for those who know how to place it there." To see how wonderful it is to create a new human being, to see its potential, to see your role in raising the child, in nurturing it to a mature adult is an example of doing so.

By the way, I got dumped on by a certain noodle over my piece a few years ago on "The Human Meaning of Christmas," which dealt with children growing up:

http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth--764-..._Christmas.aspx

By the way, I got dumped on by a certain noodle over my piece a few years ago on "The Human Meaning of Christmas," which dealt with children growing up:

http://www.objectivistcenter.org/cth--764-..._Christmas.aspx

I followed the link and read the article. Good one.

As for getting dumped on by the noodle -- sometimes, Ed, one can wear one's critics as a badge of honor. :)

Judith

• 3 months later...

I just got my copy of the group photo from last year's conference. Considering that I had been standing in the shade for what seemed like forever waiting for everyone to get ready, and then stood in the simmering sun for what seemed like forever without sunscreen with my skin sizzling so that I thought I could hear it while everyone took another forever to get organized, I looked radiantly happy! Probably because I was -- summer seminars do that to people, despite the misery of having one's picture taken in the blazing sun.

Chris looked almost exactly like he did in the other picture someone posted of him at Disneyland.

Kat and Michael were there happily in the corner, as was Fran.

Ed and Robert were buried in the middle trying to look inconspicuous.

For those who went, if you haven't gotten your copy yet, I'm sure you will soon.

Judith