Alfred Hitchock

Hitchock was Ayn Rand's favorite movie director .

My choice for his best movie is North by Northwest.

His greatest leading lady was Grace Kelly. His best leading man was Cary Grant. In second place were Ingrid Bergman and James Stewart. Almost all of his movies are worth watching.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I think she liked Ernst Lubitsch just as well and used him à clef in "Her Second Career." In AR Answers she expresses mixed feelings about his most famous movie, Ninotchka.

I think she liked Ernst Lubitsch just as well and used him à clef in "Her Second Career." In AR Answers she expresses mixed feelings about his most famous movie, Ninotchka.

Reidy; You are quite right.

Ayn Rand answers a question about Ninotchka on page 142. Miss Rand's first line calls it "brilliantly done."

This is a copy, minus the link to the current thread, of a post I made starting a new thread here.

On a thread started by Chris Grieb to commemorate Alfred Hitchcock's birthday [...] Chris writes:
Hitchock was Ayn Rand's favorite movie director .

Peter Reidy adds further on:

I think she did like both Hitchcock and Lubitsch, but according to John Hospers, in his Liberty memoir, Fritz Lang was her favorite.

I started out just to type in the passage about Lang, but I find Hospers' discussion of his comparing notes on artistic tastes with Ayn so fascinating, I kept typing. Then I decided that I'd better start a separate thread with the material, since Hitchcock isn't so much as mentioned in it!

Following [on the other thread] are three posts with excerpts.

Ellen

___