TAS Event At Cato

Chris Grieb

Last night(July 30) TAS held an event for interns and others in the DC area. The event was mainly for Koch Fellow interns but other people from the DC area including me attended. Speeches were given by David Kelley and Will Thomas with Ed Hudgins moderating. Both talks made the case that libertarianism can not be defending without Objectivism.

There was a lively question and answer session.

Will Thomas gave specific examples of issues that Libertarian can not discuss with Objectivism. He cited environmentalism and socialized health care.

As I have said I hope that those will try and schedule more events of this sort. Interns who come to Washington are young people who need a strong exposure to Objectivism. The event last night was a example.

I'm really glad to see TAS getting these opportunities -- working with IHS and CATO, networking, getting the ability to make an impression on people like the Koch interns, among whom might be the next major intellectual figure.

I hope the younger ones were receptive and some minds were changed or at least opened.

Sometimes the results of patient work are not visible right away and Objectivist intelletuals like Ed, David, and Will may be having an impact that are subterraneand and thus we (and they) are not fully aware of.

> Ed is not prefect.

No, Monsieur Hudgins is not a prefect. A prefect is a chief officer or a chief magistrate, and law enforcement is not one of the functions of the Exec Director of a think tank....unless Bidinotto has to be put under restraint or have his bail revoked from time to time

Phil; From some conversations I had with some of the people at the event many are already familiar with Rand. What is needed is a more in depth look at her ideas which I would like to see TAS provide.

As a reader on Impact I have to note that ARI is still working on opening their DC office.