Self-Introduction of a semi-Objectivist

dongrimme

Thank you, Bill P, Kat and Barbara, for your warm welcomes ... and clarifications. [i've already thanked earlier posters on this thread.]

I'm enjoying the teasing (and general lightheartedness). I'm just not used to it, feeling a little like a stranger in a strange land. Almost like Dagny during her first few hours in Galt's Gulch. [since I'm currently rereading AS, images from that book keeping popping into my mind.]

Other than with my wife, I'm used to roughly two modes of interpersonal interaction:

1. Bland, often boring, conventional communications with clients and acquaintances.
  2. Remembrances of uptight, mind my p's & q's conversations with the "other" Objectivists.

This is a refreshing change of pace!

Don

Thank you, Bill P, Kat and Barbara, for your warm welcomes ... and clarifications. [i've already thanked earlier posters on this thread.]

I'm enjoying the teasing (and general lightheartedness). I'm just not used to it, feeling a little like a stranger in a strange land. Almost like Dagny during her first few hours in Galt's Gulch. [since I'm currently rereading AS, images from that book keeping popping into my mind.]

Other than with my wife, I'm used to roughly two modes of interpersonal interaction:

1. Bland, often boring, conventional communications with clients and acquaintances.
  2. Remembrances of uptight, mind my p's & q's conversations with the "other" Objectivists.

This is a refreshing change of pace!

Don

Don -

Here's to hoping you get comfortable here, and begin to post on matters of interest to you. There's lots of interesting material to be found in OL - the first time I found the site I spent the majority of my time for two days just reading old posts...

And lots of smart people who will offer their insights.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Don,

Welcome to Objectivist Living. As a somewhat Heterodox Objectivist who loathes the Randroid fundamentalists, I can understand why you would find that often there are Christians who are nicer than some of those that call themselves "Objectivists" (I agree with you, there are Christians who are much nicer than some "Objectivists"). I think by now you have found out that this community has a very strong anti-orthodoxy bent so you have nothing to worry about. I hope you have a blast on OL.

-Andrew