Hello

Hello Everybody,

First of all, I'd like to thank Michael and Kat for this site. I've read many, many posts and like the atmosphere of respect and good-will that is displayed here. I've never been much of a "joiner" in the first place, but I've decided to break that habit and plunge right in.

The reasons for participating in this forum are simple: to strengthen my understanding of Objectivism as a philosophy; to gain insight on the practice of Objectivism; and to gain friends and acquaintances. I don't plan on posting too much for now with the possible exception of questions and clarifications for my own studies. [This would be a first for me too, because I am very opinionated. :rolleyes: ]

My introduction to Rand and Objectivism was a random twist of fate. In 1988, after my first stint in the Army, I found myself floundering on a philosophical level. Having been indoctrinated to be a liberal in high school and then being influenced by military life and the beginnings on the Me Generation, I realized that something was amiss. In order to find some grounding, I began to research religion and philosophy. I read the bible, Alan Watts, etc, ad nauseum, with no results. Something was missing.

I returned to school that semester and enrolled in a literature class. The TA started with definitions of literature by Aristotle, but did not provide any original works to study. One day, I went to the Iowa City Public Library to check out a book on the subject. During this time, I glanced through the ethics section and came across this thin book titled, "The Virtue of Selfishness." It was a "Eureka!" moment. It was, what I call, an intellectual orgasm.

Since then I've been studying Objectivism and trying to apply in to my life. And to be completely honest, I have failed to do so on far too many occasions. Thus, my decision to join this forum. I need an intellectual kick in the ass, so to speak!

So, please bear with me.

Thanks again and good premises!

J. D. Johnson

"Live and learn, or you don't live long." RAH

J D; Welcome! I look forward to reading your posts.

I find it interesting that you read a Rand non-fiction work before a novel.

Edited by Chris Grieb

JD,

Welcome aboard. You sound like really good people.

I loved that thing about intellectual orgasm. :)

The trick is to combine the intellectual with the physical, breeching the mind/body barrier.

I'm workin' on it. I think it's consonant with Objectivism. I have to consult the literature.

And I have to ask my doctor if I'm "healthy enough for sexual activity."

--Brant

J.D.:

Welcome. I look forward to your comments. "Live and learn, or you don't live long." RAH << is this a Robert A. Heinlein quote? Sure sounds like it. Additionally, the Glen Close statement in Malmud movie, The Natural, always stuck with me, she said, "I believe that we have two lives." Redford responds, "How,...what do you mean?" She replies, "The live we learn with, and the life we live after we learn."

That has always made fundamental sense to me.

Also, the "orgasm" comment will always get my attention.

Adam

Chris:

As usual, we seem to gravitate towards the same interests.

I also meant to mention in my last post that it is quite interesting that J.D. "discovered" Rand through the "non-novellic" [new word I just invented] gate.

I wonder how many others on this forum could testify that they used the "non-novellic" gates?

Adam

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've never given it much thought about finding Rand via non-fiction until now. Like I wrote, it was a simple happy accident/coincidence that I came across her work. Further, I cannot recall anybody before that recommending her books much less her philosophy. That may be an interesting poll???

Second to AR, Heinlein is my favorite. I've read science fiction all my life and steer toward "people" novels. Also, the choice of an appropriate quote was difficult. So many to choose from. Next in line for books: F. Paul Wilson, L. Neil Smith, and John Dunning. However, if I really, really, really want to read horror, then I read Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." It sends chills down my spine every time I read it. (so there Stephen King :P )

Thank you for the warm welcome.

I've never given it much thought about finding Rand via non-fiction until now. Like I wrote, it was a simple happy accident/coincidence that I came across her work. Further, I cannot recall anybody before that recommending her books much less her philosophy. That may be an interesting poll???

Second to AR, Heinlein is my favorite. I've read science fiction all my life and steer toward "people" novels. Also, the choice of an appropriate quote was difficult. So many to choose from. Next in line for books: F. Paul Wilson, L. Neil Smith, and John Dunning. However, if I really, really, really want to read horror, then I read Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." It sends chills down my spine every time I read it. (so there Stephen King :P )

Ellison's I have no mouth..... was certainly chilling. I haven't read him in years, but the horror that happened to the dog still is etched in my memory.

Adam

I have yet to read anything by Ellison, but I saw him interviewed on a YouTube video. I really liked what I saw, although he was pretty negative in some of his comments. He mentioned that he saw Judge Judy on TV and mankind should just give it up and leave it all to the cockroaches.

:)

His comments on being a writer and the way this limits your lifestyle (the missed meals, the lack of sleep, etc.) are some of the best I have ever come across. It almost sounded like Rand describing the habits of one of her productive heroes.

I just looked on YouTube for it and there are simply too many interviews with him to go through to find it. The good news is that there are many to watch. I hope they all will be as good.

Michael

I have yet to read anything by Ellison, but I saw him interviewed on a YouTube video. I really liked what I saw, although he was pretty negative in some of his comments. He mentioned that he saw Judge Judy on TV and mankind should just give it up and leave it all to the cockroaches.

:)

His comments on being a writer and the way this limits your lifestyle (the missed meals, the lack of sleep, etc.) are some of the best I have ever come across. It almost sounded like Rand describing the habits of one of her productive heroes.

I just looked on YouTube for it and there are simply too many interviews with him to go through to find it. The good news is that there are many to watch. I hope they all will be as good.

Michael

Ellison is not exactly a person with a "benevolent" sense of life. I don't recall reading anything uplifting by him. But, MAN, can he write!! BTW, he also wrote Star Trek's best episode "The City on the Edge of Forever." [the original series] If you're looking for a romantic realistic pov, I can't recommend him. But, if you want to read somebody who'll lift off the lid of hell for a peek, then Ellison is the person to read.

I haven't seen the videos myself, but I shall. Thanks for the tip!

Next in line for books: F. Paul Wilson, L. Neil Smith, and John Dunning.

Ah! Another Wilson fan! I've enjoyed his work since I discovered "The Keep" in the early '80s. My favorite of his works is "Black Wind". I subscribe to the Gauntlet Press newsletter and get his stuff as it comes out. I had the privilege of meeting him at the World Fantasy Convention in, I believe, 1990. He's a good guy.

Judith

• 2 weeks later...

Ah! Another Wilson fan! I've enjoyed his work since I discovered "The Keep" in the early '80s. My favorite of his works is "Black Wind". I subscribe to the Gauntlet Press newsletter and get his stuff as it comes out. I had the privilege of meeting him at the World Fantasy Convention in, I believe, 1990. He's a good guy.

Judith

Sorry that it took so long to respond.

There are so many things that I like about Wilson's writing. I first read his LaNague Chronicles, Healer, and Wheels within Wheels. Being a SF fan, I found the theme completely different from most (aka his pro-liberty theme). I hesitated with his thrillers and horror, but soon couldn't resist. The Adversary Cycle fascinates me and I just love the character of Repairman Jack. One thing I can count on from reading Wilson is finding an issue of morality. He takes a "what if" situation and his characters must then make moral choices, for good or ill.

Surprisingly, I've never heard of the Gauntlet Press newsletter. On to the search engines...

Jack

Judith

Sorry that it took so long to respond.

There are so many things that I like about Wilson's writing. I first read his LaNague Chronicles, Healer, and Wheels within Wheels. Being a SF fan, I found the theme completely different from most (aka his pro-liberty theme). I hesitated with his thrillers and horror, but soon couldn't resist. The Adversary Cycle fascinates me and I just love the character of Repairman Jack. One thing I can count on from reading Wilson is finding an issue of morality. He takes a "what if" situation and his characters must then make moral choices, for good or ill.

Surprisingly, I've never heard of the Gauntlet Press newsletter. On to the search engines...

Jack

Repairman Jack - yes, a pleasure to read those. The Keep was my first Wilson novel, and I'm glad I persisted and found the Repairman Jack novels - which I find much more enjoyable.

Bill P (Alfonso)

Repairman Jack - yes, a pleasure to read those. The Keep was my first Wilson novel, and I'm glad I persisted and found the Repairman Jack novels - which I find much more enjoyable.

Bill P (Alfonso)

When I read about Repairman Jack, I always think: "Damn, I wish I had the balls to that..."

Jack