Garbage from a thread about Mormons

bmacwilliam

(NOTE FROM ADMINISTRATOR: This thread was started with posts gleaned from this thread.)

But it's worse to give the State the power to barge into your home and tell you how to raise your children. There's a clear line between that and physical neglect/endangerment/harm.

Raging lunatic nonsense. There are many many valid reasons other than physical harm where the state should damn well barge into your home and "tell' you how to raise your children while carting your ass off to jail.

Bob

So what are some of these "many many" reasons? And explain how it makes me a "raging lunatic" if I didn't happen to precisely categorize legitimate reasons why one should have children taken away while you go to jail. Maybe you should ask me whether you should go to jail for X before calling me a "raging lunatic".

Shayne

If you think physical harm is the only legitimate reason a state can have for intervening with children, you're a loony.

One reason would be if you tried to marry off a daughter of 13 years old to an older man regardless of her physical maturity. That's child abuse no matter how you slice it. You want more reasons??

If you think physical harm is the only legitimate reason a state can have for intervening with children, you're a loony.

One reason would be if you tried to marry off a daughter of 13 years old to an older man regardless of her physical maturity. That's child abuse no matter how you slice it. You want more reasons??

Actually you're the loon for not calling that physical abuse (I am of course against letting children marry and regard it as a physical violation). I'm sure you don't like my views and really really want to view me as a loon, and that's what makes you distort reality and view me as a loon, which makes you even more of a loon.

Shayne

Actually you're the loon for not calling that physical abuse (I am of course against letting children marry and regard it as a physical violation). I'm sure you don't like my views and really really want to view me as a loon, and that's what makes you distort reality and view me as a loon, which makes you even more of a loon.

Shayne

Well as long as you lump psychological abuse together with physical abuse I can't argue with your definitions if that's the way you want to play...

Well as long as you lump psychological abuse together with physical abuse I can't argue with your definitions if that's the way you want to play...

Your definitions are irrational and therefore your grasp on reality is tenuous. Which was already in evidence given your quickness to call me a "loon" before figuring out what it is that I actually think. You're just projecting your own irrational looniness onto me.

Shayne

I would rather be associated with standing for correct principles even if it means defending the rights of Mormons

Would you consider polygamy a right? Or at least would your concept of individual rights go that far?

Bob

Three consenting adults over yonder decide to have an orgy. You become obsessed about it and claim a right to barge in and force them to stop. And you're not a loon? What are you doing in this forum?

Shayne

You're just projecting your own irrational looniness onto me.

"Isolation? There's nothing more isolating that having the entire Earth covered in Statists. Insulation? What could be more insulating that the Statist propaganda we're fed in public schools, on TV, the media, in Objectivist circles, etc.? Intimidation? Ha! The Mormons have nothing on the intimidation tactics of even one branch of the State."

That's some damn fine projection....

I would rather be associated with standing for correct principles even if it means defending the rights of Mormons

Would you consider polygamy a right? Or at least would your concept of individual rights go that far?

Bob

Three consenting adults over yonder decide to have an orgy. You become obsessed about it and claim a right to barge in and force them to stop. And you're not a loon? What are you doing in this forum?

Shayne

That's polygamy? Consenting adult sex = polygamy? Gotta love your defintions.

That's polygamy? Consenting adult sex = polygamy?

Clearly not.

Gotta love your defintions.

I didn't define them that way, again, you in your irrational looniness presumed some definitions for me. You're talking to yourself here. Which is of course a lot easier than facing the question I put to you.

Shayne

Clearly not.

Then why did you respond to my question on polygamy with that example?

If you honestly see no connection between the two cases, then I honestly I don't see the point in talking to you about it. I doubt there is a single person in this forum besides you who could possibly fail to see why I would ask that question. Which leaves me no reason to address you further.

"Can we have a discussion about the ideas,"

Love to, but Shayne won't engage rationally. I asked a simple question and he's off on a tangent, then denies it.

I like how you've taken responsibility for calling me a raging lunatic before figuring out whether you just didn't understand me. And then after engaging in that irrationality, you claim I won't engage rationally.

Shayne

If you honestly see no connection between the two cases, then I honestly I don't see the point in talking to you about it. I doubt there is a single person in this forum besides you who could possibly fail to see why I would ask that question. Which leaves me no reason to address you further.

Fine. I must admit that's some real creative squirming after painting yourself into an impossible corner. Good job. :poke:

Fine. I must admit that's some real creative squirming after painting yourself into an impossible corner.

I'll answer your question if a regular here thinks it is a worthy one.

Shayne