Crucifixion is Bad For You!

Barbara Branden

Sometimes, it is acutely embarrassing to be part of this century.

Barbara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easter warning: crucifixion is bad for you

By Thomas Bell,

South East Asia Correspondent

20/03/2008

Telegraph.co,uk

Many people in the Philippines consider crucifixion and self flagellation good for the soul, but it is bad for your health according to new government advice for penitents.

This Holy Week, the thousands of guilt stricken or pious worshippers who will flay the skin off their backs, and the handful who will crucify themselves, are encouraged to get a tetanus shot first and be sure to use a clean whip or nails. "We are not trying to go against the Lenten tradition here because whipping has somewhat already become some form of 'atonement for sins' for some of us," Health Secretary Francisco Duque the 3rd said. "Getting deep cut wounds during whippings or lashings is inevitable and being so exposed during the course of the penitence, with all the heat and dust blowing in the wind, welcomes all sorts of infections and bacteria like tetanus," he explained.

Re-enactments of the Passion of Christ are common in many parts of the mostly Roman Catholic Philippines but frowned upon by the church authorities. In San Fernando City 23 people, including two women, have signed up to re-enact the crucifixion at three "improvised Golgothas" around town. Four of them will use real nails. The city government's website trumpets the preparations.

"The City Health Office (CHO) autoclaved all the nails to be used and will administer anti-tetanus vaccine to all the "Cristos" to ensure their protection from possible infection," it points out. City officials will conduct an inspection of the Golgothas on Thursday.

The festival is sponsored by Coca-cola and a company called Smart Telecommunications.

In a break from the original tradition, penitents are encouraged to "bring enough drinking water for the whole course of the pilgrimage to avoid dehydration, rather than buy bottled drinking water from unfamiliar sources."

There is also government advice for the many tourists and spectators who attend the events. "It is also better to bring self-prepared foods such as sandwiches, not only to save money, but also to avoid getting diseases such as diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid after eating food bought from street vendors," the health secretary suggested.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its unfortunate that the more devout Catholics are so utterly sadomasochistic about this.

Honestly... Its quite sick.

But look, I dont have too much of a problem with government advisories, especially relating to a practice like this. Albiet it is kind of shocking that people NEED to be reminded that floggings and having nails driven through your hands and feet is potentially hazzardous to your health.

I normally don't care much for making fun of religion, but the following seems appropriate here...

Well, humor tends to be self-limiting anyway, so making fun of something only goes so far. That said, you will note that when The Life of Brian was released, something was missing: protests. Yet, this nonsense continues to garner news coverage.

The problem is not so much a matter of "religion" per se as culture. Of course, religion can be the philosophy that defines cultural transmission across generations, especially in nominally literate societies. That said, we westerners are generally taught to curb our anger. East Asians (Japanese, especially), learn this all the moreso. Displays of emotion are socially disruptive. On the other hand, in the broad band of the "Middle East" -- SW Asia, "Arabia" and that milieu -- violent displays of emotion are taught, expected and rewarded. On the other other hand, along the northern Mediterranean, while people have "temperments" they also have broader emotional ranges that are mercurial: angry, happy, sorry, forgiving,... it comes and goes... (Speaking of the Olympians, what, after all, does it mean to be "Jovial"?)

Another way to look at this from a religious viewpoint is to consider the famous statues of Buddha. You get the serenity thing easily enough, but also the Happy Buddha. There is no angry Buddha, no vengeful Buddha. Contrast that with Jehovah flooding the Earth and sending plagues and all that.

The festival is sponsored by Coca-cola and a company called Smart Telecommunications.

:blink: (Sorry, I can't even find an appropriate emoticon for this!!!) I'm trying to imagine people milling around, drinking their Cokes, chatting on their cell phones, watching people get nails driven through their hands and feet.... Humans are weird.

Sometimes, it is acutely embarrassing to be part of this century. -- Barbara

Do you have a previous better one in mind... or are you waiting for one to come along ... ? :D

Michael, I'm waiting impatiently for a better one to come along. Alternatively, if there is reincarnation and George Washington comes back and runs for President, perhaps this one will improve. I'm not holding my breath, however.

Barbara

Well, humor tends to be self-limiting anyway, so making fun of something only goes so far. That said, you will note that when The Life of Brian was released, something was missing: protests.

Actually Life of Brian was the subject of numerous protests and accusations of blasphemy by religious-oriented groups and the Monty Python team who tried to get it filmed and released ran into a number of hurdles to do so.

You can read all about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Python&...emy_accusations

• 4 months later...

:blink: (Sorry, I can't even find an appropriate emoticon for this!!!) I'm trying to imagine people milling around, drinking their Cokes, chatting on their cell phones, watching people get nails driven through their hands and feet.... Humans are weird.

Yes, humans are weird. But I actually think I'd enjoy a pluralist future (where nail drivers live peacefully on reserves) more interesting than a future without. The problem is, of course, stopping the nail drivers from wanting to nail up others. In any case, I find Herbert's fiction much more interesting than Niven's.

As for Python's Life of Brian - the Archbishop of Philadelphia forbade Catholics in his archdiocese from seeing the film - although the Index Librorum Prohibitorum went out of fasion with Vatican II. I was forbidden from watching the film, but did so, and found it unobjectionable even to my then Catholic (Jesuitical - freethinking) sensibilities.

Sometimes, it is acutely embarrassing to be part of this century. -- Barbara

Do you have a previous better one in mind... or are you waiting for one to come along ... ? :D

Well, I waited a long time for the 21st century, but it didn't help much. And I haven't found a past century that seems better -- especially not for women. So I guess I'm stuck where I am. Of course, I could always try cyrogenics...

Barbara

LOL. If you are ever in NY City, stop in at Paddles!

Adam