The Atlas Society Policy and the Summer Seminar

Ed Hudgins

Jerry; Excellent post!

The point about making the Brandens as the only critics of Ayn Rand is a great one.

I would add that the Brandens would probably find it difficult to do a quick rewrite of both books.

Edited by Chris Grieb

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Mr. Valliant's Opus:

Note that Valliant's title does not closely match its contents, which is primarily concerned with answering or refuting the accounts from the Branden's biographies (or memoirs). The book devotes very little space to either the scholarly or the popular critiques of Ayn Rand and her philosophical system. Even though we may disagree with the authors' conclusions, some of their presentations are well-written and deserve an approprpriate response (e.g., Scott Ryan's The Corruption of Rationality" and Robbins' Without A Prayer: Ayn Rand and the Close of Her System). Instead, Valliant chose to ignore attacks on the main tenants of her philosophical system and instead concentrated on what he claimed are discrepancies in biographical accounts written by her former close associates. This tactic is a dead giveaway as to what he is up to: attempt to undermine the Brandens' accounts and thereby buttress the position that Rand was a perfect exemplar of her own philosophical system, which is complete, internally consistent and above criticism and certainly not subject to any elaboration. This strategy will appear to others outside the tent for the transparent attempt it is, to endorse ARI-related statements, while underming/invalidating any criticism of the Keepers of the Faith.

About 2 years ago, I wrote this. It might be helpful:

The Only Review of PARC You Ever Need to Read

REB

I just came across a very interesting blog post on Dosh Dosh. It is about propaganda techniques. Although that site is about making money online, I read the article thinking about how often these techniques have been abused in the Objectivist world. Frankly, it's creepy.

The Art of Propaganda: 7 Common Tactics Used to Influence Behavior

by Maki

A condensed version from the article:

1. Name-calling

This involves the use of words to connect a person or idea to a negative concept. The aim is to make a person reject something without examining the evidence because of the negative associations attached to it.

Examples of words include 'Terrorist', 'Nazi' and 'Queer'.

. . .

2. Glittering Generalities

The opposite of name-calling, this involves the use of highly valued concepts and beliefs which attract general approval and acclaim. These are vague, emotionally attractive words like 'freedom', 'honor' and 'love'.

This method works because these concepts/words mean different things to different people, while still having a positive implication.

. . .

3. Transfer

This is a technique used to carry over the authority and approval of something you respect and revere to something the propagandist would have you accept. One does this by projecting the qualities of an entity, person or symbol to another through visual or mental association.

This stimulates the recipient and makes him/her identify with recognized authorities.

. . .

4. Testimonial

The aim of testimonial is to leverage the experience, authority and respect of a person and use it to endorse a product or cause. Testimonials appeal to emotions instead of logic because they generally provide weak justifications for the product or a cause of action.

. . .

5. Plain Folks

A technique whereby the propagandist positions him or herself as an average person just like the target audience, thereby demonstrating the ability to empathize and understand the concerns/feelings of the masses.

One may perform ordinary actions or use language and mannerisms to reach the audience and cohere with their point of view.

. . .

6. Card Stacking

A way of manipulating audience perceptions by emphasizing one side of an argument which reinforces your position, while repressing/minimizing dissenting opinions. An example of this articles/media events which compare and contrast the best possible scenarios with the worse examples.

. . .

7. Bandwagon

The basic premise for the bandwagon technique is to suggest that 'since everyone is doing it, you should too'. It's aim to persuade people to follow a general trend by reinforcing the human need to participate on the winning side. One can suggest to an audience that he or she will lose out by not moving with the rest of the crowd, thus preying on their insecurities and fears.

PARC and PARC supporters, to mention only one form, have presented countless textbook examples of how to abuse these propaganda techniques in the name of Objectivism in order to influence people to behave in a certain manner. That manner never includes thinking for oneself, although great lip-service is paid to that ideal. In their tribes, you are supposed to say "think for yourself," but not do it. The poor newbies who unwittingly do it and express their thoughts (especially any doubts about the validity PARC and its twisted logic on some point or another) begin to suffer peer pressure like they never dreamed possible among so-called truth seekers. Maybe not at first, but if they don't cave in after some token tolerance, they are in for one hell of a ride.

Michael

Mike11,

Rand knew all about propaganda and knew how to use it. The orthodoxy's attempt to whitewash her image into that of a goddess leads people to believe she did not engage in propaganda or things like that. But she was well versed and highly competent in the art of persuasion. To judge from her writings, propaganda was merely a weapon one used in the war of ideas. The practice per se was neither good nor bad.

Here is an excerpt from a letter to DeWitt Emery dated May 17, 1943 (Letters, p. 73). She was asking for special promotional backing of The Fountainhead specifically for political purposes. I do not know what manifesto she was referring to since it would have been written in 1943. She starts by referring to The Fountainhead.

When you read it, you'll see what an indictment of the New Deal it is, what it does to the "humanitarians" and what effect it could have on the next election—although I never mention the New Deal by name. People who've read it told me that, without any prompting on my part. And to prove to any potential backer that I'm not after his money to swell my own royalties, I am willing to give him such share of my rights in the book as he would consider proper to cover his risk.

I would still profit by the buildup. That will be my gain—and that will also be the gain of our side. You know what a good propagandist I am and what I can do, as witness that little manifesto I wrote in five days. Let our side now build me up into a "name"—then let me address meetings, head drives and endorse committees. I think I can do better than the Steinbecks and Orson Welleses—and God knows they've done plenty for their side.

Using propaganda to help avoid the USA from becoming a dictatorship is one thing. The scale is heroic and grandiose. I am not a big fan of propaganda techniques, but Rand's use and intent were inspiring and epic-scale.

Using propaganda techniques to prove that the Brandens are the root of all evil (as one example of abuse) is another. The scale is personal and petty. It gives me the creeps. Those who do this enshrine gossip as their ideal fight for a making a better world.

I think they deserve to be treated on the scale they have chosen as their ideal.

Michael