Conan the Barbarian

sbeaulieu

Ever have one of those movies that grabs you from the outset, but never quite understand why?

It took several viewings of the original Conan movie, and purchasing the soundtrack to come to the realization of why it has become on of my favorite movies (at least of the 80s). The reason was so subtle as to remain just under the radar. Hidden messages and the score.

Thoughts?

Ever have one of those movies that grabs you from the outset, but never quite understand why?

It took several viewings of the original Conan movie, and purchasing the soundtrack to come to the realization of why it has become on of my favorite movies (at least of the 80s). The reason was so subtle as to remain just under the radar. Hidden messages and the score.

Thoughts?

The movie without the score would be just an ok revenge pick. Coupled with the Pouldouris score the movie becomes amazing.

I also enjoyed the hidden messages, a testament to the director's craftsmanship (or interpretation).

Specifically, the scene where Conan gets the Atlantean sword. Recall when Conan grabs the sword from the dead king's hand. As he is cleaning it off, the helmed skull falls forward. It took me many years to understand (first having seen it in my early teens) the significance - The old king bowing to the new king.

It was the little additions like this that make the movie stand out for me, almost parallel to the score.

And James Earl Jones...wow!

Edited by sbeaulieu

I also enjoyed the hidden messages, a testament to the director's craftsmanship (or interpretation).

Specifically, the scene where Conan gets the Atlantean sword. Recall when Conan grabs the sword from the dead king's hand. As he is cleaning it off, the helmed skull falls forward. It took me many years to understand (first having seen it in my early teens) the significance - The old king bowing to the new king.

It was the little additions like this that make the movie stand out for me, almost parallel to the score.

And James Earl Jones...wow!

That's true. That scene in particular is very good, especially the synergy of the visuals and the music. I suppose my last post gave the visuals/story too weak a praise. That's not fair as there are many subtle things to see and lots of good camera work. Consider the raid on Conan's villiage in the beginning, where young Conan is fishing and sees the approach of the raiders. How that is shot and scored is excellent.

E.

Did you notice who the Pictish scout was at the beginning?

And before that, Conan's father telling him of the "Riddle of Steel". What a fantastic start!

Did you notice who the Pictish scout was at the beginning?

And before that, Conan's father telling him of the "Riddle of Steel". What a fantastic start!

I beleive he was a football player or wrestler. The riddle scene is good, in fact the entire opening is very well filmed. I noticed in the DVD version I bought it had an extended scene between Subotai and Conan before the battle of the mounds. I hadn't seeen it before as it's not on my VHS version. It was a nice addition.

E.

I'll have to get the newest DVD. Subotai is the one character I would like to know more of - other than being deadly with a bow, crying on Conan's behalf, and praying to the four winds :P

This is where the lack of dialogue maintains rough edges on the movie.

I'll have to get the newest DVD. Subotai is the one character I would like to know more of - other than being deadly with a bow, crying on Conan's behalf, and praying to the four winds :P

This is where the lack of dialogue maintains rough edges on the movie.

As I understand it, the DVD version I have is currentlyt he only one in release, so if you buy it you're sure to get that extra scene. It does add a bit of depth. I was always amused by their discussions.....

Also, the comentary part is quite good.

Street Walker: A token to protect you from evil?

Subotai: I am evil!

I am going from memory and it has been years since I have seen Conan, so correct me if I get it wrong. There are some scenes that have always stuck in my mind.

Conan (Schwarzenegger) is on a horse and talks to a person who asks what he is doing there, if he is possibly collecting a debt. Conan replies: "No one ever owes me anything. If I see something I want, I take it."

Then there is that haunting war cry during battles: "Do you want to live forever?!"

And last but not least, there is the scene with the villain when he shows just what the ultimate in power means, making a gesture to a person on high, who throws himself off to his death for no other reason than he was so ordered.

There are some other scenes nudging at my memory, but they are too vague or incomplete to mention. I think I will see this film again. I only saw it once and it made a deep impression on me that has lasted years.

Michael

Thoughts?

One of the best lines in the move:

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember, if we were good men, or bad. Why we fought, or how we died. No, all that matters is, that two stood against many. That's what's important. Valor pleases you Crom, so grant me one request, grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then the hell with you!

And look at this: Absolutely immortal!

and here is a page full of Conan. This is choice kick-ass Conanalia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js9lsgcS_tc&NR=1

Conan is my kind of guy.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Then there is that haunting war cry during battles: "Do you want to live forever?!"

Valaria says this twice in the movie - the last being when her spirit blocks a killing blow from Thulsa Doom's right-hand man.

And last but not least, there is the scene with the villain when he shows just what the ultimate in power means, making a gesture to a person on high, who throws himself off to his death for no other reason than he was so ordered.

When Conan is captured at the Temple of Set, and beaten, Thulsa Doom comes before him. What he is telling him is that steel is not strong, flesh is stronger. He proves his point by having the follower jump to his death. Very powerful scene!