If you continue to blame others for your problems...

Michael Stuart Kelly

If you continue to blame others for your problems, you have given up your power to change them.

Jack Zufelt

Man, does that hit home on so many levels...

Michael

Michael,

Good quotation. It sounds very much like something Nathaniel Branden might have written.

Jim

Jim,

It does sound like Nathaniel! :)

Here are some other quotes I gleaned off of listening to some of Zufelt's work on tape. (I am currently examining the self-help culture and these quotes come from a taped lecture series called How to Use the Conquering Force within You.)

A paraphrase of Shakespeare:

If you assume a virtue, it’s yours.

(The original is from Hamlet: "Assume a virtue, if you have it not..."

Quoting a traditional adage (which I mention only because I found it cute):

Conceit is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one who has it.

Here is one I really like. I burst out laughing when I heard it.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance. Ignorance is far more expensive.

The following was given in the context of what to feed the mind:

Your body’s main function is to carry your brain around.

The following quote almost sounds like Objectivism:

Many people have been killed by germs and very few have been killed by stars.

Michael

I want to add to the last post. I am totally enchanted and charmed by the innocence of Jack Zufelt. Listening to him is a bit like going back to my childhood. For example, here is a paraphrase of how he approached mentors in his life, and how he recommends you do it. After you identify what he calls a "core desire," which is something you want to get or do that really turns you on all by itself, you look out in the world to find people who are successful at getting or doing what you desire. Then you approach them and say something like the following (I am paraphrasing from memory):

"I think you are a wonderful human being. I want to be just like you are. Will you teach me to do what you did to get that way?"

He was completely sincere and he preaches total sincerity. I can't think of anyone who would resist such an approach if they feel that he is sincere. This brings a smile to my lips all by itself.

Michael