OL in San Diego

Chris Grieb

Is there anyone on OL who lives in San Diego. I talked to an old friend who lives there who told me last night he was getting to ready to leave his home. If there is anyone else from San Diego or anywhere else in the fire area tell us how you are doing when you get the chance.

Roger, Tibor is staying with his daughter, and he does not know if his house is standing or not.

I also contacted Stephen Cox, who tells me he lives in an area the fires have not reached.

Wallis and Walter Grover, whom many of you will have met at TAS conferences, watched the fires coming down a hill toward their home, and prepared to evacuate -- but fortunately firemen stopped the blaze before it could reach them.

Barbara

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris, I don't have any information on the Silverado Canyon fire and its containment. I do live in the area of So Cal and both my son and his father John were evacuated. I live in Orange County close to the fire regions. But to my understanding, Silverado Canyon is still closed. I went out there a few days ago for photography reasons, to catch any wildlife I could find which I did find some and to do some HDR work. As a kid and teenager, these areas were frequented by me and some friends. Even now, I go out there to their nature center. I was able to get into Modjeska Canyon but was not allowed into the Silverado Canyon area which is where I wanted to go for the HDR work. I also have a friend who is a professional photographer who was able to get into regions not open to the public, only firefighters and such. He said he tried to get in there I think yesterday or the day before and wasn't allowed in. I do not know who Tibor Machan is but I truly hope all is okay with him and anyone else who has been affected by these unfortunate events. I do know, from the last I heard, that the fire that was in Silverado Canyon is now away from homes but they are still taking every precaution considering it's still going. But as for its containment and percentage, I do not know but hope the worst is over.

Angie

Edited by CNA

I too hope the worst is over.

I hope people will note areas that not get burned and those that did and will do some series thinking.

I hope the government will step out of people's way. Robert Higgs said that was the biggest problem in New Orleans. Dr Higgs is from New Orleans.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I too hope the worst is over.

I hope people will note areas that not get burned and those that did and will do some series thinking.

I hope the government will step out of people's way. Robert Higgs said that was the biggest problem in New Orleans. Dr Higgs is from New Orleans.

It's truly unfortunate that some of these fires were intentionally set and that anyone out there with a thought of starting something that has potential to do serious damage does think of the consequences of their actions. But as we all know, there are those that get off on this and it's disgusting. I do know in going into these areas and spending a good 5 or so hours out there that day I went, there is massive work being done in the way of clearing, back fires, and so forth on a scale I have never seen before. Too bad it wasn't done before all of this and preventative measures taken. So many have been affected. I have 2 friends that lost their homes. John, my ex, and my son were evacuated and he had no clue for quite some time if he made it through which fortunately he did and all is fine. They almost lost my son's school. Talk about completely surreal and heart breaking to drive up to my son's school after they opened the area back up and was no longer in threat of burning to look to the right and left and see nothing but scorched hillsides and how close it came to homes and my son's school. Very eerie. The day I went out there it truly was heartbreaking and teary eyed with emotion as to how badly the areas I frequent were so badly destroyed. I spoke with a man who is still floored that he survived it when the homes on both sides of him, above him, and across the street were destroyed. It's quite amazing to see how close he came, especially considering his home has shake roofing, very old. He asked me to take pictures of his home for him and the surrounding area showing what had happened and that he made it through and of course I did take the photos for him. I spoke with him for about 30 minutes and I can't even begin to tell you how difficult it was to talk with him, both of us emotional at seeing what had happened. Although I do not live in the area he lives in, it's an area I am well acquainted with for most of my life and frequent. It's truly heart wrenchingly difficult.

Anyway, I haven't stayed on top of it for quite some time but more could have been done sooner in the way of aerial drops but of course and not surprisingly they delayed it on many levels. Projects that were slated to be completed to prevent a tragedy on this massive of a scale in the way of airplanes for air drops and so forth were supposed to be done by 2004 or 2003 but were never done or they were just half assed. But the tragedy in all of this are the reports that it was delayed in response by local officials. As for the validity of this, I do not know but I'm sure as time goes on more and more evidence will come to light. *sighing* It's truly so sad. This weekend the Santa Ana winds and heat were supposed to pick back up but so far the weather is holding out here and has been a bit more humid and overcast with clouds so most definitely a good thing so far and hoping this fire season won't be anything like it has been in recent weeks.

Anyway, I hope all is okay with Tibor and the individuals you know that have been affected.

Angie

I've heard from Tibor that Silverado Canyon has been reopened and his home survived the fires.

Robert Campbell

That's wonderful news. It would be terrible enough to have one's home burn if one isn't an academic type, but for someone with a lifetime's accumulation of books and papers to have it all go up in smoke...shuddersome thought. I'm so glad to hear that Tibor's home was spared.

Ellen

___

I've heard from Tibor that Silverado Canyon has been reopened and his home survived the fires.

Robert Campbell

That is absolutely wonderful news !! Ellen you are so right. To have your home destroyed is horrible but to have a lifetime of work destroyed along with your home and possessions, oh, my, absolutely horrendous and happy he made it through. Hopefully Tibor has other areas where he keeps his most valuable items such as a safe that is fire and water resistant.