Anthem 70th Anniversary

Mike Renzulli

I would point out that 2008 marks the 70th anniversary of the publishing of Anthem. Anthem was the first book written by Rand that I read and is very well done.

FWIW my Objectivist group will commemorate the publishing of this book in January by watching the movie Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress. This movie, based on a book of the same name, has elements to it that are very similar to Rand's book and the movie was directed by the book's author.

I would also point out that Rush named one of their songs Anthem that was on their Fly By Night album (video below) and some school kids did an Anthem movie trailer (link below).

Anthem by Rush:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCccQNL-pBY

Anthem Movie Trailer:

Edited by Mike Renzulli

The movie rights to Anthem have been sold. I believe to someone who started a magazine about Star Trek Terry O'Quinn. Mr O'Quinn is a long time Objectivist.

I have not heard anymore about the project.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Kerry (not Terry) O'Quinn, with his partner Jim Snider (who has written and produced several feature films) has developed a screen play of Anthem, which they are hoping to shoot in 2008. Kerry and Jim have been developing the screen play for several years. To make a film of Anthem has been Kerry's dream for more than forty years -- ever since he first read the book after meeting Ayn Rand in the mid-60's and became lastingly involved with Objectivism. Kerry and I have been good friends since he first became an NBI student and began designing brochures and book covers for NBI. Some twenty years ago, he first told me his ideas for the film, and I concluded then that this was the man to bring the book to the screen.

Kerry created and published STARLOG (the magazine of the science fiction universe), FANGORIA (magazine about horror movies and special effects), FUTURE LIFE (science and space), CINEMAGIC (teaching young filmmakers the techniques of production and effects), COMICS SCENE (the wonderful world of superheroes) and more than a dozen other newsstand titles.  He was given the Life Service award this year from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films at the 35th annual Saturn Awards, He has been imvolved with Objectivism since arriving in New York from Texas in the mid 60's.

Kerry has been keeping me informed of the progress of the production, and I will bring you news as he allows it.

Barbara

Kerry (not Terry) O'Quinn, with his partner Jim Snider (who has written and produced several feature films) has developed a screen play of Anthem, which they are hoping to shoot in 2008. Kerry and Jim have been developing the screen play for several years. To make a film of Anthem has been Kerry's dream for more than forty years -- ever since he first read the book after meeting Ayn Rand in the mid-60's and became lastingly involved with Objectivism. Kerry and I have been good friends since he first became an NBI student and began designing brochures and book covers for NBI. Some twenty years ago, he first told me his ideas for the film, and I concluded then that this was the man to bring the book to the screen.

(snip)

Kerry has been keeping me informed of the progress of the production, and I will bring you news as he allows it.

Barbara

Thanks for letting us know! This is good news. You may end up rewriting the last chapter of Passion someday soon...

Alfonso

Edited by Alfonso

Barbara; Thank you for correcting my mistakes. Kerry O'Quinn gave a presentation at the TAS Summer Seminar at Union College. If I got that wrong someone please correct me.

It would be delightful to have movies of Atlas and Anthem both coming out very close to each other.