Pink pink pink pink pink

Greybird

And none ot you grammar Nazis have commented on the elephant in the room: "screwed over!"

Barbara

1) Since only two grammar Nazis have commented, that should be "neither...has" instead of "none...have." (I leave aside the spelling and the punctuation error.)

2) This grammar Nazi assumed that Brant had intended the pun of the "screwed over."

Always glad to help. ;-)

E-

PS: Just wait till Michael Hardy notices the grammar-nazi entertainment. Then we'll all be in for trouble!

___

Edited by Ellen Stuttle

Oh, the pain -- that I came late to this discussion.

The "than/then" problem is one of my pet peeves. Imagine my horror when I found that error in a Victorian novel -- first edition! Led to a case of the vapors, it did!

The problem comes from the fact that (yes, I know, "the fact that" is not preferred usage) "than" is often pronounced with a schwa, and people who rely more on their ears than their eyes for learning standard usage tend to hear the schwa as "then". Regional accents add more difficulties to the stew.

As far as the subject under discussion, we've come so far that we tend to forget how authoritarian doctors used to be toward their patients, and how supportive of this attitude the law used to be. Things have definitely changed for the better.

Judith

Edited by Judith

This rather serious thread became hilarious . . . I love the grammar Nazis! :)

Regarding the original post:

I guess I don't see why the gender issue is important here. Cancer is a disease suffered by humans; Breast cancer is a human cancer -- even men suffer from it. Yes, pink is associated with women, and mostly women suffer from breast cancer, but cancer is cancer. Curing cancer (of any stripe) would be a great step forward for humanity.

So, the breast cancer groups have a better "marketing strategy" than other cancer groups. Who cares? Rather than embracing the negative (complaining about gender bias), this man should stand by what he believes, and begin to spread the word regarding some other cancer (i.e. prostate cancer). This would be embracing a positive.

As I woman, I would have no problem embracing a blue theme in support of prostate cancer awareness and research (actually, I prefer blue over pink).

I guess I don't see why the gender issue is important here. Cancer is a disease suffered by humans; Breast cancer is a human cancer -- even men suffer from it. Yes, pink is associated with women, and mostly women suffer from breast cancer, but cancer is cancer. Curing cancer (of any stripe) would be a great step forward for humanity.

Members of mammalian species other than humans sometime suffer from cancer. Dogs and cats, for instance, can get cancer.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Members of mammalian species other than humans sometime suffer from cancer. Dogs and cats, for instance, can get cancer.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Yes, you are correct. I apologize for not being a bit clearer.

My point is that cancer is one of the diseases that humans suffer, regardless of gender, or any other differentiation. This isn't to say that other species don't also suffer with cancer. As a matter of fact, a friend of mine has a cat that is currently receiving chemotherapy (in an attempt to make her life a bit more comfortable in her last days).

So, the breast cancer groups have a better "marketing strategy" than other cancer groups. Who cares? Rather than embracing the negative (complaining about gender bias), this man should stand by what he believes, and begin to spread the word regarding some other cancer (i.e. prostate cancer). This would be embracing a positive.

As I woman, I would have no problem embracing a blue theme in support of prostate cancer awareness and research (actually, I prefer blue over pink).

Hmm, we could even take a blue ball and hang it around our necks!

It's 5:55 a.m and everyone in my house (except me, of course) is asleep . . . but I can't quit laughing! :)

That was wonderfully amusing!

Edited by Virginia Murr

It's 5:55 a.m and everyone in my house (except me, of course) is asleep . . . but I can't quit laughing! :)

That was wonderfully amusing!

Why thank you! It was meant to amuse anyone who is willing to address the ludicrous stereotypical assumptions about "femalness" and "maleness". What kind of furor would be created by a "blue" ball pin worn by men to make the world aware of the fact that: "dis-ease" is a human problem.

I took years of tai chi which "transformed" the way [hmm Lao Tsu lives! lol] I approached health and the lack of health. I understood, I hope, the point you were making.

Glad you got the joke.

actually, I prefer blue over pink

Was it on this forum that I read the article that most people prefer blue? But that women tend to prefer the red side of the spectrum (i.e., purplish and magenta-ish blues) while men tend to prefer the yellow side of the spectrum (i.e., blue-green, teal, turquoise, etc.)? The article had some wild speculation in it about evolutionary paths that I didn't buy.

In any event, I like teal far better than purple. I now own a green automobile because the blue paint for that model was just a few nanometers too much toward the purple for my liking, although I usually prefer blue to green, and this green is enough toward the blue and far enough from the yellow to be acceptable to me.

Judith

• 7 months later...

A momentary update, out of being fair to a store I patronize, and about seeing mores slowly change:

My local Vons grocery now has not only drop-your-change jars for prostate-cancer research, but also placards surrounding the touch-pad for Vons Club and payment cards, urging that donations for that cause be added to one's bill. Also, the checkout staff have been pressed into asking each customer, "Would you like to donate to ...", on penalty of giving said customer a free 2-liter soda if they don't ask.

The placards are plain white, not that eye-catching pink pink pink. And I'm not sure I care for the store owners putting the onus, to ask for donations, on the checkers. But these developments are better than nothing, and they're a start towards evening up the field for solicitations.

To address one comment above: Yes, cancer is a human disease. I'm glad, in one respect, for its being fought through such private initiatives in any such manner, as to any vector.

My point in the opening essay was about my personal weariness as to the detritus of militant feminism, which has become diluted from its extremes in academe and government by that altogether benevolent institution, the unfettered marketplace. (And groceries are left about as free as things get these days, certainly as against medicine, education, or energy *sigh*)